• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Davis newspaper: 2nd half dooms UCDavis

Proud Griz Man

DONOR
http://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/second-half-turnovers-do-in-aggies-after-strong-start/

Second-half turnovers do in Aggies after strong start By Bruce Gallaudet | October 04, 2015

Two second-half interceptions cost UC Davis dearly as the local footballers fell to visiting Montana, 27-13, to remain winless in five games this season. The 13th-ranked Grizzlies twice picked off Aggie quarterback Ben Scott, turning a close contest into one that, for the final 30 minutes, stayed just out of the reach of UCD. The Aggies swung and missed on their sixth opportunity to win the program’s 500th game. In addition to its 0-5 overall start, UCD is 0-2 in Big Sky Conference play. Montana improved to 3-2, 2-0 in league. Scott put the loss squarely on his own shoulders: “The sacks (there were five of Scott) … I was running around with my head cut off. I didn’t get to my reads. I just played a really bad game. It’s not the (coaches’) fault, it’s not the O-line’s fault, it’s not my receivers’ fault. I just played a bad game.” Nonetheless, the situation was hopeful for the home crowd of 6,241 fans. As was the case in last year’s 42-28 loss at Missoula, the Aggies again were in the game at halftime, 14-13. (The two teams were knotted at 14-14 after 30 minutes in 2014).

. . . But those last-half mistakes took the wind from the Aggie sails. About those turnovers and the wheezing offense when it nears the goal line … “That all falls back on me,” UCD head coach Ron Gould told the assembled media afterward. “The buck starts and stops with me. I have to continue to put the players in positions where they can be successful.” Gould continued:“I’m just so proud of how the kids fight. Their resiliency, their grit, their determination. It’s there. No matter what the score is, they come back and battle to the end. “I couldn’t be more proud of the team. Like I told the team (in the locker room afterward), it’s all on me.” Aggie Nation has a week to find the answer to ending a six-game losing streak that dates back to the final contest of 2014. But it won’t be easy. Next Saturday’s Homecoming opponent, Northern Arizona, is 3-2 overall and 1-1 in the Big Sky after a 49-41 upset of No, 11 Montana State on Saturday.

Notes: Scott was 18-of-33 for 203 yards and the TD toss to Baljeu. … Layton, the first-year back from Woodcreek High, gained 62 yards on 12 carries. Manusamoa Luuga had 58 yards rushing for UCD. He also caught six passes for 52 more. … A trick play had the crowd on its feet in the first period when Scott flipped to QB-turned-receiver Mitchell Sheppard, who then found tight end Atlas Smith for a 31-yard gain to the UM 1. Unfortunately, the Aggies settled for a 20-yard Stuart field goal. … Stuart is perfect on seven field-goal attempts in 2015. He’s hit 10 straight dating back to last season.

x1004ucd-football1W-1024x747.jpg.pagespeed.ic._JotimeFB7.jpg

x1004ucd-football2W-883x1024.jpg.pagespeed.ic.BoA3EOPutY.jpg

The UC-Davis players and staff are tripping over themselves to shoulder the blame for the loss. There's something to learn here, Coach Ron...

Cotton-eyed Hoe said:
The UC-Davis players and staff are tripping over themselves to shoulder the blame for the loss. There's something to learn here, Coach Ron...

Ash surely reads Egriz and frequents SCATnation *rolls eyes* He actually made some comments last night taking full responsibility saying he needed to coach his team better or something like that.

signedbewildered said:
Cotton-eyed Hoe said:

Ash surely reads Egriz and frequents SCATnation *rolls eyes* He actually made some comments last night taking full responsibility saying he needed to coach his team better or something like that.

That's because Ash didn't have a bus to throw his players under since they flew to Flagstaff. :wink:

Cotton-eyed Hoe said:
They could have mentioned they were playing the best defense in the BSC.

They played North Dakota? Somebody needs to head out to the wood shed for some learnin the ol country way.

kemajic said:
Cotton-eyed Hoe said:
Uh ... no. Unless the Big Sky uses number for only within the conference, or something.

NCAA Stats through games of Oct 3
Total Defense
#13 UND at 302.0 ypg given up.
#24 PSU at 318.3 ypg
#35 SUU at 344.0 ypg
#40 UM at 357.6 ypg
#55 WSU at 381.2 ypg

Scoring Defense
#4 PSU 12.5 ppg given up.[1]
#7 SUU 15.4 ppg
#26 UND 21.2 ppg
#35 UM 22.6 ppg
#58 NoCol 26.4 ppg

[1] Includes a shutout against Western Oregon. They average 16 ppg given up in the other 3 games.

Big G said:
They played North Dakota? Somebody needs to head out to the wood shed for some learnin the ol country way.
The team that was dominated by NDSU and allowed 24 to Davis at home? On 10/24 we will know.

It seems like every thread on EGRIZ somehow ends up about Montana State.....Has UM sunk so low?

IdaGriz01 said:
kemajic said:
Cotton-eyed Hoe said:
Uh ... no. Unless the Big Sky uses number for only within the conference, or something.

NCAA Stats through games of Oct 3
Total Defense
#24 PSU at 318.3 ypg
#35 SUU at 344.0 ypg
#40 UM at 357.6 ypg
#55 WSU at 381.2 ypg

Scoring Defense
#7 SUU 15.4 ppg
#26 UND 21.2 ppg
#35 UM 22.6 ppg
#58 NoCol 26.4 ppg

[1] Includes a shutout against Western Oregon. They average 16 ppg given up in the other 3 games.
Stats tell one story; defensive effectiveness and the level of competition to date tell another. When the others have played NDSU, Liberty, CPSLO, and NAU it might be more instructive to compare stats. Montana plays UND and PSU so it will be interesting to see head to head. I would bet on Montana.

I hardly think one post about ash makes a thread "end up about msu".

But I suspect you probably knew that, LA.

I don't think eGriz has sunk. But a handful of its posters have.

EverettGriz said:
I hardly think one post about ash makes a thread "end up about msu".

But I suspect you probably knew that, LA.

I don't think eGriz has sunk. But a handful of its posters have.
Won't disagree with you there....have a nice day..

kemajic said:
IdaGriz01 said:
... NCAA Stats through games of Oct 3
Total Defense
#24 PSU at 318.3 ypg
#35 SUU at 344.0 ypg
#40 UM at 357.6 ypg
#55 WSU at 381.2 ypg

Scoring Defense
#7 SUU 15.4 ppg
#26 UND 21.2 ppg
#35 UM 22.6 ppg
#58 NoCol 26.4 ppg

Stats tell one story; defensive effectiveness and the level of competition to date tell another. When the others have played NDSU, Liberty, CPSLO, and NAU it might be more instructive to compare stats. Montana plays UND and PSU so it will be interesting to see head to head. I would bet on Montana.
Stats can definitely be misleading:
Of the "better" defensive teams on the list, UND has played the stronger competition ... NDSU (lost 34-9) and Wyoming (won 24-13). Still, their win over UC-Davis was closer (31-24) than the Griz's win. And they got to play Drake, which is only a mediocre team even in the pitiful Pioneer Football Conference.

PSU, of course, beat Washington State and barely lost to UND. But they also got to feast on ISU and D-II Western Oregon.

SUU is probably the most suspect. They did play Utah State tough (lost 12-9) and South Dakota State (lost 55-10). They pumped up their defensive stats by holding three other teams to just 10 total points -- but those three teams were NoCol, Weber and a D-II. :lol:

Back