• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS STATS Poll Guesses (October 4)

IdaGriz01

With seven losses among the top-25 teams, it seems like there’d be some drastic changes in the next poll. But the possibilities are muted because of the two head-to-head games among top-10 teams and fact that Eastern Kentucky took Kentucky into overtime before losing. So my guesses have only three teams really moving a lot.

Guess, Team (Record), [Current Rank]
1 Jacksonville St (4-1) [1]
2 Coastal Carolina (5-0) [2]
3 NDSU (3-1) [3]
4 Illinois State (3-1) [4]
5 James Madison (5-0) [6]
6 Chattanooga (3-1) [8]
7 EWU (2-2) [9]
8 SDSU (3-1) [5]
9 Youngstown St (3-1) [10]
10 SHSU (2-2) [12]
11 Northern Iowa (2-2) [7]
12 Montana (3-2) [13]
13 Villanova (2-2) [14]
14 Fordham (4-1) [15]
15 Liberty (3-2) [18]
16 Montana State (2-2) [11]
17 E Kentucky (2-2) [17]
18 Richmond (3-1) [19]
19 New Hampshire (3-2) [20]
20 Indiana State (3-1) [21]
21 SE Louisiana (3-1) [22]
22 Portland State (3-1) [16]
23 McNeese State (4-0) [23]
24 Harvard (3-0) [24]
25 North Dakota (4-1) [145] [NR]

NR William & Mary (2-2) [25]

I only moved SDSU down three spots because of their loss to NDSU, but the pollsters may not be so kind. I could easily see the bunnies drop a couple more. Same with Northern Iowa, which I dropped down four spots ... but I like where they ended up, with their 2-2 record. Those changes allowed several teams to move up a spot or two.

My usual formula dropped the kitties five spots -- because they lost to an unranked team (which received just 40 points in the previous poll). That allowed some more teams, including the Griz, to move up a spot.

Libery’s win over Georgia State might not help a lot since G-State is a really bad FBS team. (The only game they’ve won this year was against New Mexico State -- which is 0-4 -- and they had only 2 wins in the past three full seasons.) Still, that win and the MSU loss made room to move the Flames up three spots.

I hammered Portland State down a bit more, even though they lost by only 2 points to a pretty good UND team. That’s because: (1) they lost at home, and (2) their record, with a win against Washington State, is starting to look not so impressive.

Although W&M lost on the road only by a last-second FG, the #25 team is always on thin ice. So I think they will drop out of the top-25. To replace them, I looked at the top four teams that received votes last week, but did not quite make it. Of those four, two lost -- Lamar and Southern Illinois. Cal Poly (2-3) and North Dakota (4-1) both won. Since UND has the better record and beat a ranked team, they get the nod for the 25th spot.

Not saying it will happen but UND deserves to at least be ranked higher than PSU. I don't know if you watched any of the game but UND controlled the entire game. Other than the opening play by PSU, their scoring drives were 2 yards and 8 yards I believe. I am not saying we should be ranked extremely high but for sure ahead of PSU.

UND should definitely be higher than PSU. UND lost (only loss) to NDSU in the fargodome 34-9. SDSU lost to the Bison 28-7 in rabbit land.

Nodak78 said:
UND should definitely be higher than PSU. UND lost (only loss) to NDSU in the fargodome 34-9. SDSU lost to the Bison 28-7 in rabbit land.
Don't necessarily disagree with you (or Sioux24/7). I thought about slotting UND in around #22-23 (and that could happen). But I may have hit PSU too hard, and they may not drop as far as I show. And the pollsters have proven many times that, as a group, they pay almost no attention to single-game, head-to-head results. Exhibits A and B: NDSU well ahead of UM (despite the Griz win), UM ahead of Liberty (despite the Griz loss). :?

Back