• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What prompts a replay in the Big Sky Conference?

GottaluvGriz

DONOR
The play right before half where Nacarato ran out of bounds showed that there was .5 seconds left when his foot landed on the out of bounds line. Since it was replayed quickly on Roots, why was it not reviewed before the half ended?
Who is responsible for prompting the replay? Is there anything the coach or coaches do to ask for a review in that situation?
We were in field goal range.
Go Griz!

Was wondering the same thing. Think I heard last night while watching the Notre Dame game (think it was that game), that all plays are being reviewed and if there was a discrepancy, the booth officials would buzz down to the field for a review.
No idea if this is true or if applies to our game yesterday, but would like to know.
GO GRIZ!

Fullerton was on the radio at 1/2 time talking about how replay worked. I believe he said every play is replayed, but only certain things are reviewable. I have never seen tenths of seconds used in college football, pretty sure the scoreboard showed 0.

Replay is good for nothing and only wrecks the game, all the stops and bad calls are pure poppycock plain and simple.

Not sure about the rules, but these 3 plays definitely merited a replay if within the rules:

1. The punt muff return didn't appear to be in control until in the end zone rather than the 4 as spotted by refs
2. Despite Nacarrato running too far down the field right before half, there was still .01 on the clock when he was over a yard out of bounds
3. UC Davis clearly had 12 men on the field in the second half and none of the refs noticed

I'm sure there were more but those are the ones I questioned.

I also wonder why the coaches don't use their challenge more? I don't think Stitt had any timeouts left to challenge the play clock at the end of the half. I was wondering why he didn't challenge the muffed punt and when possession was made. Thought that one could be a TD.

Grizbeer said:
Fullerton was on the radio at 1/2 time talking about how replay worked. I believe he said every play is replayed, but only certain things are reviewable. I have never seen tenths of seconds used in college football, pretty sure the scoreboard showed 0.
The replay showed by roots sports clearly showed .5 seconds left when Nacarato stepped on the OB line.
I would assume that was the game clock that Roots Sports was using.
Go Griz!

HookedonGriz said:
I also wonder why the coaches don't use their challenge more? I don't think Stitt had any timeouts left to challenge the play clock at the end of the half. I was wondering why he didn't challenge the muffed punt and when possession was made. Thought that one could be a TD.
I wondered the same thing about the Muff call. Shouldn't that be reviewed?
Go Griz!

GottaluvGriz said:
Grizbeer said:
The replay showed by roots sports clearly showed .5 seconds left when Nacarato stepped on the OB line.
I would assume that was the game clock that Roots Sports was using.
Go Griz!
I am not sure but was under the impression the Root Sports clock was not the scoreboard clock - the analyst said something about Stitt looked at the clock and it was at 0 so he took his headphones off. I took that to mean the scoreboard didn't show the tenths.

go96griz said:
Not sure about the rules, but these 3 plays definitely merited a replay if within the rules:

1. The punt muff return didn't appear to be in control until in the end zone rather than the 4 as spotted by refs
2. Despite Nacarrato running too far down the field right before half, there was still .01 on the clock when he was over a yard out of bounds
3. UC Davis clearly had 12 men on the field in the second half and none of the refs noticed

Back to talking about muffs - got to love it!

bgbigdog said:
go96griz said:

Back to talking about muffs - got to love it!

:lol: You sure don't want to mishandle the muff!

So, a question I have yet to find a definite answer to: When there is a close play, say the punt play that gave the Griz the ball at the 3, can the head coach actually initiate the challenge like in the NFL or does play have to be stopped by the refs? I know in years past when there has been replay in the playoffs all challenges were handed by the refs and I have yet to see a game where a head coach has thrown a challenge flag from the sideline. I know all plays are technically "reviewed" but Im just curious as to how/when play is actually stopped for a full review.

GRIZFAN20 said:
So, a question I have yet to find a definite answer to: When there is a close play, say the punt play that gave the Griz the ball at the 3, can the head coach actually initiate the challenge like in the NFL or does play have to be stopped by the refs? I know in years past when there has been replay in the playoffs all challenges were handed by the refs and I have yet to see a game where a head coach has thrown a challenge flag from the sideline. I know all plays are technically "reviewed" but Im just curious as to how/when play is actually stopped for a full review.

Yes.

Football is slightly more complicated with both official and coach reviews now on the table.

Officials can double-check plays involving a sideline, goal line or end zone, as well as detectable situations like fumbles, completions/incompletions and clock adjustments.

When deemed necessary, the replay official will activate pagers worn by game officials on the field to indicate a stoppage of play.

Each head coach is also allowed one challenge per game. An unsuccessful challenge comes with a one timeout penalty. A successful attempt returns the timeout to said team and allows that coach one more replay challenge in the game.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/big-sky-conference-football-basketball-to-feature-instant-replay/article_9d33ddf0-439f-5e54-9ee9-8cb120f4bd40.html

Stitt said he felt the muffed punt should have been reviewed, but he didn't want to lose a time out if the challenge was unsuccessful.

I felt the Griz shouldn't get a chance at the field goal just because it was such an unaware move by Nacarato. Not sure what he was thinking. There was .5 sec left but the refs have a built in margin of error as they need blow whistle when he steps out then look at clock.

EverettGriz said:
GRIZFAN20 said:

Yes.

Football is slightly more complicated with both official and coach reviews now on the table.

Officials can double-check plays involving a sideline, goal line or end zone, as well as detectable situations like fumbles, completions/incompletions and clock adjustments.

When deemed necessary, the replay official will activate pagers worn by game officials on the field to indicate a stoppage of play.

Each head coach is also allowed one challenge per game. An unsuccessful challenge comes with a one timeout penalty. A successful attempt returns the timeout to said team and allows that coach one more replay challenge in the game.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/big-sky-conference-football-basketball-to-feature-instant-replay/article_9d33ddf0-439f-5e54-9ee9-8cb120f4bd40.html

So, if I am reading this correctly, the officials can review any play they want to and if they choose not to, the coach can initiate a challenge to have it reviewed. That makes sense, especially considering if a team is out of challenges and a controversial play goes against that team, there is still a chance it could get reviewed.

Back