• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Halftime Adjustments, Win 4th Quarter?

IdaGriz01

Some interesting stats and comparisons on a couple new threads, so I was tempted to just add this to one or the other. However, the final point is -- I think -- important enough to deserve its on thread.

There have been some comments about whether or not Stitt and company make good halftime adjustment. I’ve always thought they were doing pretty well. But the staff last season was so bad at halftime adjustments, I wondered if the guys this year just looked good by comparison. But with five games behind us, the numbers are in and they show some amazing “bottom lines.” I used the table form below so the numbers would line up. (Wish we had some better way to make tables like this ... but it’ll do.)

Quarter-by-Quarter Scoring, then the Total
Code:
NDSU        07     21    0     7     35
UM          10     11    7    10     38

Cal Poly     7     7     3     3     20
UM           7     7     0     5     19

Liberty     14     03    7     7     31
UM          00     12    7     2     21

NAU          0     0    14     0     14
UM          10     6     0     7     23

UC-D         6     7     0     0     13
UM           7     7     7     6     27

Cumulative                       
OPP         34    38    24    17    113
UM          34    43    21    30    128
Except for NAU -- and we all know that Souers gives the Griz fits -- UM has outscored, or stayed close to their opponents in the 3rd quarter. That speaks to good halftime adjustments, no matter what spurts the opponent puts on. Of course, the Griz have also scored the fewest points in the 3rd quarter, which means the opponents have made good adjustments too.

What is truly amazing, however, is the Griz scoring dominance in the final quarter. Now, in no game have we reached the stage where either team is playing a lot of its reserves toward the end ... unless they have to because of injuries, or whatever. Yet the Griz have outscored their opponents almost two-to one. Whatever deficiencies the Griz defense suffers in time of possession, it does not translate into high scoring by the opponent. (Note that only Liberty -- obviously a very good team -- outscored the Griz in the 4th, and only by 5 points.) Of course, the Griz have not piled up huge amounts of points (per game) in the 4th quarter either ... but, overall, they’ve done way better than their opponents.

I am neither pointing fingers at specific weaknesses, nor trying to say one part of the team has some special “wonderfulness” ... because I have no good explanation for what the numbers show. But there they are.

3 TD's given up in the 3d quarter, and 2 in the 4th quarter. 1 FG in each of those quarters. 7, 6, 14, 14 and 0 in 2 half. Very good stats. Approaching some of the good Hauck year 2 half stats (or 3d quarter stats), but only approaching.

IdaGriz01 said:
Some interesting stats and comparisons on a couple new threads, so I was tempted to just add this to one or the other. However, the final point is -- I think -- important enough to deserve its on thread.

There have been some comments about whether or not Stitt and company make good halftime adjustment. I’ve always thought they were doing pretty well. But the staff last season was so bad at halftime adjustments, I wondered if the guys this year just looked good by comparison. But with five games behind us, the numbers are in and they show some amazing “bottom lines.” I used the table form below so the numbers would line up. (Wish we had some better way to make tables like this ... but it’ll do.)

Code:

Cumulative                       
Except for NAU -- and we all know that Souers gives the Griz fits -- UM has outscored, or stayed close to their opponents in the 3rd quarter. That speaks to good halftime adjustments, no matter what spurts the opponent puts on. Of course, the Griz have also scored the fewest points in the 3rd quarter, which means the opponents have made good adjustments too.

What is truly amazing, however, is the Griz scoring dominance in the final quarter. Now, in no game have we reached the stage where either team is playing a lot of its reserves toward the end ... unless they have to because of injuries, or whatever. Yet the Griz have outscored their opponents almost two-to one. Whatever deficiencies the Griz defense suffers in time of possession, it does not translate into high scoring by the opponent. (Note that only Liberty -- obviously a very good team -- outscored the Griz in the 4th, and only by 5 points.) Of course, the Griz have not piled up huge amounts of points (per game) in the 4th quarter either ... but, overall, they’ve done way better than their opponents.

I am neither pointing fingers at specific weaknesses, nor trying to say one part of the team has some special “wonderfulness” ... because I have no good explanation for what the numbers show. But there they are.

And according to Stitt, thats exactly how his offense is supposed to work....stay close, run lots of plays, wear em down, and outscore them in the 4th.

AZGrizFan said:
IdaGriz01 said:

Code:

Cumulative                       

And according to Stitt, thats exactly how his offense is supposed to work....stay close, run lots of plays, wear em down, and outscore them in the 4th.

Makes sense although I could swear I heard him in a pre season interview or something saying most of the points should be scored in the 2nd or 3rd with his offense. Could have been radio, TV, web or paper but I remember him being asked and I remember being a bit perplexed by his answer.

signedbewildered said:
AZGrizFan said:
... And according to Stitt, thats exactly how his offense is supposed to work....stay close, run lots of plays, wear em down, and outscore them in the 4th.

Makes sense although I could swear I heard him in a pre season interview or something saying most of the points should be scored in the 2nd or 3rd with his offense. Could have been radio, TV, web or paper but I remember him being asked and I remember being a bit perplexed by his answer.
I kinda remember something along those lines too. But, of course, I doubt that this offense is anywhere near close to what he really wants. If the Griz had scored, or scored more TDs instead of FG, he might be closer.

BTW, in trying to find where he said something along the lines of what you remembered, I found a Stitt video I had not seen before. The text has most of the "meat" of the Special Assignment, but the direct material from Stitt in the video itself is worth a listen.
http://www.kxlf.com/story/28981927/getting-to-know-new-griz-football-coach-bob-stitt
(You have to wait through the commercial, but it really is worth it. ;) )

Here’s a quote from the video I really love (in case you missed it). And it’s at a UM practice, not an old Mines video, because you can see the logos on the helmet. It comes about 45 second into the actual video. He says, “Guys, we gotta … we gotta watch the quarterback, he may give it to ya at the very last second. Ya gotta, ya gotta be watchin’.”

Of course, that works both ways. The QB has to make those bang-bang decisions before he can dish off the ball to a running back or a receiver.

Having looked at the score distribution, I got to wondering what the details looked like. In the two losses, the Griz did not do enough -- obviously -- in the final quarter to pull out a win. They did make a 4th quarter drive against CP, but the ‘Stangs matched it to win. Against the Flames, falling behind by two TD early was just too much to make up.

In the three wins, the Griz made a 4th quarter drive to win or put the game out of reach. Recall that they ripped off an 80 yard drive in 1:37 to pull out the win against NDSU. In the last two wins, they had the lead going into the 4th quarter and then put on drives of 61 and 85 yards, each over 4 min. long, to put the game out of reach. Except for having a bigger lead going into the 4th quarter, that sounds like a winning formula to me. :thumb:

IdaGriz01 said:
Having looked at the score distribution, I got to wondering what the details looked like. In the two losses, the Griz did not do enough -- obviously -- in the final quarter to pull out a win. They did make a 4th quarter drive against CP, but the ‘Stangs matched it to win. Against the Flames, falling behind by two TD early was just too much to make up.

In the three wins, the Griz made a 4th quarter drive to win or put the game out of reach. Recall that they ripped off an 80 yard drive in 1:37 to pull out the win against NDSU. In the last two wins, they had the lead going into the 4th quarter and then put on drives of 61 and 85 yards, each over 4 min. long, to put the game out of reach. Except for having a bigger lead going into the 4th quarter, that sounds like a winning formula to me. :thumb:
The problem the doom and gloomers seem to have is Stitt's offense isn't putting up Air Read-like numbers yet. But as long as the D keeps playing lights out (which I don't see any reason they won't) and the offense cuts down on miscues and converts more in the red zone, the Griz will have a shot against everyone left on the schedule.

Htowngriz said:
IdaGriz01 said:

The problem the doom and gloomers seem to have is Stitt's offense isn't putting up Air Read-like numbers yet. But as long as the D keeps playing lights out (which I don't see any reason they won't) and the offense cuts down on miscues and converts more in the red zone, the Griz will have a shot against everyone left on the schedule.

If the rabbit hadn't stopped to take a sh*t........ well, you know the rest of it

Back