• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Upset Guesses (October 10)

Where are the upsets?

• #10 UNI (2-2) at #3 NDSU (3-1)

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • #9 YSU (3-1) vs #4 Illinois State (3-1)

Votes: 13 24.1%
  • #19 Indiana State (3-1) at #8 SDSU (3-1)

• #22 McNeese (4-0) vs #20 SE Louisiana (3-1)

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • William & Mary (2-2) at #14 Villanova (2-2)

• Furman (3-2) at #6 Chattanooga (3-1)

Votes: 10 18.5%
  • #25 Portland St (3-1) at North Texas (0-4)

Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Rhode Island (0-5) vs Delaware (2-3)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nicholls St (0-4) at SFA (0-5)

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters

IdaGriz01

As mentioned earlier, we have plenty to look forward to, with four games between ranked teams coming up. Of course, William & Mary losing on Saturday took away a fifth ranked-against-ranked matchup. Still, W&M and Villanova have the same records, so that’s a game worth considering for an upset. The real question is: Does ‘Nova deserve their ranking without their stud QB?

The Furman-Chattie game is interesting, even though the Mocs play well at home. The Furman record is a bit misleading since their losses have been to #2 Coastal Carolina and FBS Virginia Tech. Their wins have been against two fairly weak FCS teams, but also include an upset of FBS Central Florida.

As you know, I would not normally include a Big Sky team, but I thought people should have a chance to predict an upset against FBS North Texas. The (not so) Mean Green have lost their four games this year by a combined score of 180-67.

I debated whether or not to include Rhode Island, just to see if they could win at home ... and decided to go ahead. After all, their last win -- in their final game last year -- was at home. Also, Delaware might have a let-down after their big win against W&M.

Finally, I could not resist including a “loser’s bowl” to see who had to get their first win of the season.

Remember: Two selections per voter. Underdog on the left.

William & Mary is my 1st choice.

Nova was over rated BEFORE their QB went down.

I say maybe 28-20 W&M

#25 Portland St (3-1) at North Texas (0-4) The ship be sinking and dream be dying.

Paytonlives said:
William & Mary is my 1st choice.

Nova was over rated BEFORE their QB went down.

I say maybe 28-20 W&M
And he's not coming back.
http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20151005165119181916304

Haley of STATS.com said:
A trip down south is usually embraced by someone living in the Northeast. Just not when it's a visit to Dr. James Andrews.

The famed orthopedic surgeon has recommended that Villanova senior quarterback John Robertson not return to the playing field this season because of the torn posterior cruciate ligament in his right knee, and Wildcats coach Andy Talley said Monday that the 2014 FCS Player of the Year's college career is over.

Always sad when a guy's career goes down the drain. Hope he had a solid major. Without a good final year, he's not likely to get a shot at the pros -- although stranger things have happened.

Picked ISUb over the Jacks of SDSU; Jacks better show up to play a lot better that they did Saturday night if they want to revive their season. Trees win 24 21 and the loss will cause Coach Stieg to feel the heat on his bottom side.

rocklobster said:
What about Cal Poly over Eastern?
Basic ground rule for this thread: No Big Sky vs Big Sky matchups. People pick against teams they "hate on" rather than looking for credible possibilities for an upset. (Feel free to start a Big Sky matchups poll. :) )

Wow :!: We've never before had a week with so many different games getting votes -- and three tied for the lead. :eek:

Just shows what a great weekend of FCS football we have coming. And there are even more games I did not include as potential upsets.

This might be the time, for those of you with DirecTV, to sign up for the Sports Pack. Already, we have identified five games involving ranked teams that will be televised, with a 6th likely. That does not even include the ones they don't announce until Thursday or Friday. (And it must be said that one or two will likely be subject to regional blackouts.) But that, plus all the extra FBS games you get access to, makes the Pack a bargain this time of year. [And, no, I have no affiliation with DirecTV and get no $$ to shill for them. :) ]

On the opposite note, I notice that nobody thinks Rhode Island can pull off an upset (even at home) and win its first game of the year -- and what would be only its second win in the last 22 games. Now that is futility. :cry:

Hmmm ... still no consensus on a most likely upset. In fact, we have five games that people seem to feel are more or less equally likely for an upset. (Glad I didn't include that 48-17 blowout of Tennessee Tech by #17 Eastern Kentucky last night. :lol: )

Why are Rhode island and Nichols state games included and not the #8 EWU vs Cal Poly and ISU @ #25 UND games not included? I am still taking ISU to beat UND. The rule of no Big Sky games doesn't make sense to me.

NativeGriz said:
Why are Rhode island and Nichols state games included and not the #8 EWU vs Cal Poly and ISU @ #25 UND games not included? I am still taking ISU to beat UND. The rule of no Big Sky games doesn't make sense to me.
Not really a "rule," just a practice based on past observation. The problem was, whenever I included a hot Big Sky matchup, most of the votes went to whatever team Griz fans seem to hate the most. (Of course, that was most often the kitties :lol: .) That happened even when there was hardly any realistic chance of an upset.

I suppose I could set up a separate poll with just the Big Sky games on it. I'll think about that when I get a minute. :geek:

Where to view these games free for those with only internet (links might not show up yet):

William & Mary @ #14 Villanova --- 10 am MT on CAA.TV
Delaware @ Rhode Island --- 10 am MT on URI's portal of the A10Network
Furman @ #6 Chattanooga --- 11 am MT on ESPN3
#10 UNI @ #3 NDSU --- 12 pm MT on ESPN3
Nicholls State @ SFA --- 2 pm MT on ESPN3
#25 PSU @ FBS North Texas --- 3 pm MT on North Texas All-Access (prob. not free since states premium content and requires login)
#4 Illinios State @ #9 YSU --- 5 pm MT on ESPN3
#19 Indiana State @ #8 SDSU --- 5 pm MT on ESPN3
#20 SELA @ #22 McNeese State --- 5 pm MT on ESPN3

Other free online games of note:
Idaho State @ #23 North Dakota ---12 pm MT on EverSport
#5 James Madison @ Towson --- 1 pm MT on CAA.TV
Weber State @ #12 UM --- 2 pm MT on EverSport
Cal Poly @ #7 EWU --- 2:05 pm MT on EverSport
Incarnate Word @ #11 Sam Houston State --- 5 pm MT on FoxSports (might not be "free"; have to have a qualifying provider like ESPN3 requires)

DoubleNicks said:
Where to view these games free for those with only internet (links might not show up yet):

#25 PSU @ FBS North Texas --- 3 pm MT on North Texas All-Access (prob. not free since states premium content and requires login)

Incarnate Word @ #11 Sam Houston State --- 5 pm MT on FoxSports (might not be "free"; have to have a qualifying provider like ESPN3 requires)

Thanks, DN, useful information, that.

I think Cal Poly and EWU is going to be a great game. Weber State is all over the place, playing decent against Oregon State and Sac. State, but getting destroyed by NDSU and SUU. Could be one of those games that a few small mistakes could open the door for them.

DoubleNicks said:

Indeed useful, as cclark said. Here's a similar list for those who have the DirecTV Sports Pack. As noted before, DirecTV does sometimes regionally black out certain games ... but these are currently listed at the channels shown:

#24 Harvard (3-0) at Cornell (0-3) --- 10:00 am on DirecTV 681-1
W&M (2-2) at #14 Villanova (2-2) --- 10:00 am on DirecTV 639/ 642/ 698
Presbyt (1-4) at #2 Coastal Carolina (5-0) --- 12:00 pm on DirecTV 793
#10 UNI (2-2) at #3 NDSU (3-1) --- 12:00 am on DirecTV 665
#5 JMU (5-0) at Towson (2-2) --- 1:00 pm on DirecTV 698
#4 Illinois State (3-1) at #9 YSU (3-1) --- 5:00 pm on DirecTV 789
#19 Indiana State (3-1) at #8 SDSU (3-1) --- 5:00 pm on DirecTV 790
Incarnate Word (3-2) at #11 SHSU (2-2) --- 5:00 pm on DirecTV 608-1
Sacramento St (1-4) at #18 MSU (2-2) --- 5:05 pm on DirecTV 687

Back