• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky Defensive MVP

Has the U done a highlights package for Holmes for the national award? I think it's fairly common practice, but can't recall seeing one since the KB candidacy.

havgrizfan said:
Comes out tomorrow. Who ya got? Holmes? Cowser? Sankey or KVA?

Holmes has more sacks than Cowser and more TFLs. So head to head it should be Tyrone.

Sankey had 153 tackles, that's insane. KVA with 125 and missed 1 game. Think KVA forced more turnovers though.

Another guy that could sneak into the conversation is PSU's safety Onwuasor - finished with 9 interceptions this year.

I'm biased, I say Holmes. But could see PSU's safety getting it too.

BWahlberg said:
havgrizfan said:

Holmes has more sacks than Cowser and more TFLs. So head to head it should be Tyrone.

Sankey had 153 tackles, that's insane. KVA with 125 and missed 1 game. Think KVA forced more turnovers though.

Another guy that could sneak into the conversation is PSU's safety Onwuasor - finished with 9 interceptions this year.

Seemed like he had all those int's against us!

I think Holmes wins it, but I'm not as confident as I was with Wags last year. Just because of how impactful the other guys have been two. Those three DL could all be First Team All-Americans, which is crazy from one conference, though I doubt both Holmes and Cowser end up getting First Team. We'll see how it shakes out.

Kem, no question. When KVA moved to LB three years ago, I was concerned he was too small. I was concerned the Griz were wasting a guy who could be an All-American safety. Boy, I was way wrong. I would say, he is as profound a defensive player as there is in the FCS right now. He is absolutely everywhere.

Bump

http://www.missoulian.com/news/local/grizzlies-holmes-a-finalist-for-defensive-player-of-the-year/article_c2614cfe-74eb-5f1e-b35c-da4c3e3b8b46.html

BWahlberg said:
havgrizfan said:

If Onwuasor gets it, he'd damn well better give a shoutout to Simis for padding his stats!

Regardless, Holmes is the correct answer.

rocklobster said:
Sure appreciated KVA this year! All over the field all season.

agree, he is our best open field tackler, great fundamentals, great ability to constantly be around the ball ...agree with kemajic, he will be exceptionally missed next year.....

they both deserve this award for different reasons imo......holmes sacks and the pressure he puts on opposing offenses has been off the charts and draws the much deserved attention, however, this gets alot of coverage/regonition due to the nature of being dominate over his opponent, unable to be contain therefore creating losses in yardage, downs etc etc almost single-handedly, kva's sustained consistency is not quite as apparent, plus, he is competing with a lot more players on the field to make tackles, covering receivers and creating standout plays like turnovers, loss of yards, held on 3 downs etc etc.

both played their positions exceptionally well and we have been privileged to have them.....great players-both deserving.

Back