• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

PSU's Sudden Success

HookedonGriz

DONOR
I was thinking about PSU and how they came out of nowhere this year. Many have said it's all in the coaching and that Barnum has taken the same guys and team from last year and turned them into winners. While I agree that Barnum has done an impeccable job and the kids seem to be playing at a new level for him, there is still one huge factor for their success.....JC transfer QB Alex Kuresa.

If you're going to have one position on the entire team be solid, that's the one position you need a great player in. We've seen it time and time again when a good QB goes down (Villanova, JMU, MSU, our own Griz) the impact it can have on a team. PSU is pretty much the same core of kids from last year playing even better, but their most important position was taken over by Kuresa, a new JC transfer. It's made a huge difference. Not to take away from what Barnum has been able to accomplish, but just something I was thinking about.

Kuresa is a good QB, but Barnum has done a great job there. If Baldwin ever leaves EWU, I'm certain Barnum is on the short list of coaches they'd contact.

PSU has the makings to be a great Big Sky team. Great location, nice facilities. If they could get some support and put together a couple nice seasons, they could really become a big time program.

The last time I checked bringing in the right JC transfer to help your team is in the HC skill set. Remember this recruiting rule, if you bring in a JC transfer, he's usually got to be better than your existing talent otherwise you wouldn't risk the two years only of the scholarship. I know some on this board will argue this but that's recruiting 101. HCs usually don't want to be known as the coach that brings in outside talent that surpasses players that are already in the "pipeline". It could send the underclassman recruits the wrong message. The PSU HC deserves all the credit it the world.....

"...Great location, nice facilities." Seriously? Nobody watches college football in Portland Oregon and the "facility" is horrid.

Wasn't Barnum a PSU assistant last year? The last head coach was in a perpetual fight with the AD about the lack of support for PSU football. That attitude had to be cancerous for the team.

LongTimeCatFan said:
grizaremoregooder said:
LongTimeCatFan said:
bearister said:
Suppose the Cats want some Barneyball in Bozone?

Doubtful
Yeah, you are right he's too good for your guys.

PSU is full of transfers, that doesn't really scream of program building or ability to evaluate talent in high school.
No argument there but if you are winning who cares where the talent comes from? It is not easy to gel a bunch of kids that haven't played together either. PSU is a good story this year but they might not have football in 5 years however.

HookedonGriz said:
I was thinking about PSU and how they came out of nowhere this year. Many have said it's all in the coaching and that Barnum has taken the same guys and team from last year and turned them into winners. While I agree that Barnum has done an impeccable job and the kids seem to be playing at a new level for him, there is still one huge factor for their success.....JC transfer QB Alex Kuresa.

If you're going to have one position on the entire team be solid, that's the one position you need a great player in. We've seen it time and time again when a good QB goes down (Villanova, JMU, MSU, our own Griz) the impact it can have on a team. PSU is pretty much the same core of kids from last year playing even better, but their most important position was taken over by Kuresa, a new JC transfer. It's made a huge difference. Not to take away from what Barnum has been able to accomplish, but just something I was thinking about.

Just look at ISU last year vs this year, same situation. Many thought they'd be solid this year, but without the right driver, they crashed and burned.

Back