• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Vikings to Flower Children?

grizpack

eGriz Club
DONOR
Came across this article in the Bellingham Washington paper. Buried in an article about racial issues on campus is a discussion on whether the "Viking" is an appropriate mascot

According to a Western Front article, the conversation about the mascot — which has represented the university since 1923 — began last summer. Those supporting a change said the Viking is too masculine, too violent and doesn’t reflect students of color. They are advocating for a more inclusive mascot.

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/local/article46208095.html

:roll: :roll: :roll:

PC run amok.....

OMG! PC is getting just stupid. :roll: My high school mascot is a Viking (In the state of Washington)and I can guarantee that not a single person EVER gave it a second thought one way or another! Then or now for that matter!! :lol:

fc550x550white.jpg

Every school's mascot should be an endangered species.

Yup.

As a Norwegian - American I have been deeply offended for years about the Viking mascot. The Vikings contributed much to the European Culture:
1. More effective battle tactics.
2. Stronger steel for sword making.
3. Face Paint.
4. Lutefisk
The very thought of racists appropriating my culture for their silly sports team mascot has been tearing my entire family apart for generations.
It's time for a new mascot in Portland, Minneapolis and (I think) Bigfork. The Minnesota Rainbows! The Portland State Sustainable Farm-to-table Growers! The Bigfork Progressives!
NO JUSTICE - NO PEACE!!!

Those supporting a change said the GRIZZLY BEAR is too masculine, too violent, NOT HUMAN and doesn’t reflect students of color. They are advocating for a more inclusive mascot.

:roll:

As one whose family (English & Irish) was terrorized by Vikings I say it is high time this happened.

Just when I think it is safe to go to sleep at night there is some mention of "VIKING!" and the old ancestral fear returns. Make them stop sending me & my family running to hide in the root cellar each time some marauding hoard comes slinking up the rivers to pillage our home. In fact after that game in Portland I remained hidden for days.

Thank goodness there are PC people willing to stand up for those of us oppressed for centuries.
Stop the madness! Stop these foul mead swilling fiends! Stop the Vikings before they stop you!

MsMaroon said:
Those supporting a change said the GRIZZLY BEAR is too masculine, too violent, NOT HUMAN and doesn’t reflect students of color. They are advocating for a more inclusive mascot.

:roll:

Actually Grizzly Bears are very inclusive. They will eat people of all races. :ugeek:

I live in the Bellingham area and I am very embarrassed by these idiots. Yes, PC run amok. Hence my long-standing signature.

My son's girlfriend attends Western and we were talking about this subject just the other night. Pretty much it comes down to a vocal minority and the admin is too spineless to just say enough is enough.

horribilisfan8184 said:
The PSU helmet logo already looks like the NDSU bison logo so just change the name and keep the logo.

?

Portland is in Northwest Oregon. Bellingham is in Northwest Washington. The story is about WWU, as is Western Washington University.

Back