• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Craig Haley(not) taking the Griz

Rats of Butte said:
Hoping this isn't the kiss of death

http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=20151125140238525485604

He's been right the past three weeks. Hope it's a good omen.

Good write up, but the scores are too low. Everyone keeps talking about the over under being 45. I think the Griz score that on their own.

Nice to get his vote of confidence but I disagree with a couple of his points.
While seeding 1-24 would be the fairest way to construct the playoff field, the FCS schools want to keep travel costs down for the road teams, so they like having the geographic component.
1. FCS schools do not care about travel costs, the NCAA pays for travel costs, because the NCAA gets ALL of the ticket revenue.
2. I do not believe FCS schools LIKE the geographical seeding.
SUU really got screwed in this system. Every fan in the Big Sky should be upset. The outright winner of one of the 4 major conferences in the country should NOT have to travel in the first round!

clawman said:
While seeding 1-24 would be the fairest way to construct the playoff field, the FCS schools want to keep travel costs down for the road teams, so they like having the geographic component.
1. FCS schools do not care about travel costs, the NCAA pays for travel costs, because the NCAA gets ALL of the ticket revenue.
SUU really got screwed in this system. Every fan in the Big Sky should be upset. The outright winner of one of the 4 major conferences in the country should NOT have to travel in the first round!
Then they should build a bigger stadium. Or perhaps if they played a tougher schedule they would have been ranked higher nationally and earned a seed.

Being a conference champion doesn't entitle a team to a home playoff game.

Fahque said:
clawman said:
Then they should build a bigger stadium. Or perhaps if they played a tougher schedule they would have been ranked higher nationally and earned a seed.

Being a conference champion doesn't entitle a team to a home playoff game.
If they played a tougher schedule they might not have made the playoffs.

Well, going to have to prove him wrong this week.

THE PICKS

LAST WEEK'S RECORD: 8-3 (.727)

OVERALL RECORD: 563-146 (.794)

SATURDAY, DEC. 5

ALL TIMES ET

FCS PLAYOFF SECOND ROUND

William & Mary (9-3) at No. 7 seed Richmond (8-3)

Kickoff: Noon (ESPN3)

Quick Slants: The second round of rematches - six of the eight games - kicks off between two of the three CAA Football champions (James Madison is the other). The conference's No. 1 rusher (Richmond's Jacobi Green, 116.8 ypg) and No. 2 rusher (William & Mary's Kendell Anderson, 112.9) square off again after the host Spiders won the first meeting 20-9 on Nov. 21 behind a much stronger run game - 227 yards to 95. Both teams figure to add a new wrinkle because they know each other so well. In a close game which demands limiting turnovers, safeties DeAndre Houston-Carson of William & Mary and David Jones (eight interceptions) of Richmond are terrific at forcing opponents into mistakes.

Prediction: The fourth most-played series in the FCS turns 126 (William & Mary leads 61-59-5). Duquesne might have shown in the first round that the Tribe secondary is wearing down, and Richmond features terrific wide receivers with Brian Brown and Reggie Diggs. Richmond, 28-24.

---

The Citadel (9-3) at No. 8 seed Charleston Southern (9-2)

Kickoff: 1 p.m. (ESPN3)

Quick Slants: There's no need to worry about attendance in the battle for Charleston as the demand for tickets far outweighs seating capacity at Buccaneer Field. The Citadel, which lost 33-20 to CSU at home Sept. 26, has incredible momentum from wins over South Carolina and Coastal Carolina, and the Bulldogs' triple option is running at a much higher level than when they gained only 181 rushing yards in the earlier meeting. CSU's defense boasts four first-team All-Big South picks, led by linebacker Aaron Brown and cornerback Malcolm Jackson, so it's strong enough to meet the challenge. The Bucs prefer the run, too, with their spread option.

Prediction: CSU coach Jamey Chadwell and his veteran squad have beaten The Citadel in each of the past three seasons, but the visiting Bulldogs are hot at the right time of the season. The Citadel, 28-24.

---

Colgate (8-4) at No. 5 seed James Madison (9-2)

Kickoff: 1 p.m. (ESPN3)

Quick Slants: Colgate pulled one of the first-round surprises by reversing an earlier loss to New Hampshire as the Raiders' dual-threat quarterback, senior Jake Melville, continued to play well in big games (he's thrown one interception in 303 attempts this season). JMU will want to get early confidence for its young quarterback Bryan Schor, who is making his fourth start and faces solid pass rushers in Pat Afriyie and Brett Field. But the Dukes should move the ball with running backs Cardon Johnson and Khalid Abdullah, who have combined to rush for 1,891 yards and 22 touchdowns, and Colgate has struggled to keep teams from converting on third down.

Prediction: James Madison still doesn't seem like it should be the No. 5 seed, but it's faced tougher competition than the Patriot League champion Raiders, who have been slipping past a lot of opponents. James Madison, 35-24.

---

Western Illinois (7-5) at No. 2 seed Illinois State (9-2)

Kickoff: 2 p.m. (ESPN3)

Quick Slants: Illinois State scored the final 20 points of a 48-28 victory over WIU on Nov. 24, winning behind its usual knockout punch of quarterback Tre Roberson (four total touchdowns) and running back Marshaun Coprich (206 rushing yards, two TDs). There's no mystery to the Redbirds' game plan; it's those two standouts operating behind the big offensive line. WIU coach Bob Nielson has taken teams to the playoffs in the FCS, Division II (Minnesota-Duluth, a two-time national champ) and Division III (Wartburg and Wisconsin-Eau Claire). His young QB, Sean McGuire, will do a lot of stepping up in the pocket to avoid pressure from the edge, but the Leathernecks need to build time-consuming drives with big RB Nikko Watson.

Prediction: The Redbirds' 18-game home winning streak since Hancock Stadium was renovated before the 2013 season is the longest in the FCS. It continues behind Coprich's rushing. Illinois State, 35-21.

---

Chattanooga (9-3) at No. 1 seed Jacksonville State (10-1)

Kickoff: 2 p.m. (ESPN3)

Quick Slants: This has become one of the better nonconference rivalries in the FCS, with Jacksonville State winning the Sept. 5 matchup at Chattanooga 23-20 on a late score. The Gamecocks frustrated Mocs QB Jacob Huesman and his offense, allowing 196 yards. The top-ranked Gamecocks are allowing just 277.1 yards overall and 16.3 points per game. Physical Mocs running back Derrick Craine should provide more support to Huesman this time around, but Chattanooga is going to need some passing balance because of the Gamecocks' 5-2 front. Like Huesman, Gamecocks signal caller Eli Jenkins runs his offense to perfection, benefiting from the depth at running back (Troymaine Pope has 1,092 yards and averages 7.0 a pop) and clutch wide receiver Josh Barge.

Prediction: Having lost as the No. 3 seed in their first playoff game last year, the Gamecocks don't want to fall behind and have doubt creeping in. Chattanooga is strong enough to force that scenario. Jacksonville State, 34-28.

---

Montana (8-4) at No. 3 seed North Dakota State (9-2)

Kickoff: 3:30 p.m. (ESPN3)

Quick Slants: Montana is playing in the most-anticipated playoff game for the second straight week and it opened the FCS season with a 38-35 last-second win over NDSU, evening the series at 4-4. The Bison, four-time reigning FCS national champions, are better prepared for the passing assault of QB Brady Gustafson (443 yards in the win) and his many receiving options, led by Jamaal Jones. Injuries have changed both teams since the Aug. 29 meeting, but NDSU redshirt freshman Easton Stick is seasoned after replacing NFL prospect Carson Wentz, while Montana might be without injured tackle leader Kendrick Van Ackeren. The battle between Joe Haeg and the NDSU offensive line and Montana and its Tyrone Holmes-led defensive line is most fascinating.

Prediction: Montana can pull the upset again because its offense can outscore the Wentz-less Bison. But the Bison defense seems to play at a higher level inside the raucous Fargodome. North Dakota State, 27-23.

---

Sam Houston State (9-3) at No. 4 seed McNeese State (10-0)

Kickoff: 7 p.m. (ESPN3)

Quick Slants: McNeese State, the only unbeaten team in the FCS, kept Sam Houston scoreless over the final three quarters of its 27-10 win Nov. 7, clinching the Southland Conference's automatic playoff bid. The Cowboys want to saddle it up again with QB Daniel Sams, RB Ryan Ross and an athletic defense, while Sam Houston seeks a more wide-open style. Some strong bench play rescued the Bearkats in the first round, so coach K.C. Keeler won't be afraid to go with different QB styles with Jared Johnson and Jeremiah Briscoe. Defensive end P.J. Hall was lights-out in the playoff win.

Prediction: If Sam Houston is going to lose to a familiar opponent in the playoffs, at least it won't be to North Dakota State. McNeese State, 35-28.

---

Northern Iowa (8-4) at No. 6 seed Portland State (9-2)

Kickoff: 10 p.m. (ESPN3)

Quick Slants: It's "Barnum & Bailey" as Portland State coach Bruce Barnum phrased it with red-hot UNI quarterback Aaron Bailey bringing the circus, er Panthers, to town for this first-ever meeting. What's developed during the visiting Panthers' six-game winning streak is the rise of running back Tyvis Smith, who at 6-foot-3, 224 pounds is even bigger than former All-American David Johnson. Portland State went looking for a JUCO tight end last year and instead got its offensive leader in QB Alex Kuresa, who has helped the Vikings mow through a tough schedule. Their star free safety Patrick Onwuasor's nine interceptions are tied for the FCS high.

Prediction: It won't help the Panthers to be stepping outside their dome and into a potential rainy night in Portland. But it's a team hardened on Missouri Valley competition. Northern Iowa, 23-21.

Kind of a lukewarm pick - hedging his bets both ways.

And that is a close score prediction . . . even in the "raucous Fargodome".

I am sooooo sick of hearing this MVC crap. If the Griz and PSU win do you think the tune will change?
Yes, the Griz/NDSU could go either way but, I think PSU destroys UNI.

daGrizJ said:
I am sooooo sick of hearing this MVC crap. If the Griz and PSU win do you think the tune will change?

I don't think it will change until someone other than the MVC starts winning the chipper again. Montana going undefeated against the MVC this year would help too.

I don't know who will win that UNI/PSU match-up (if the Griz take care of business then I'll root for the Panthers). But what sticks out to me is this:

What's developed during the visiting Panthers' six-game winning streak is the rise of running back Tyvis Smith, who at 6-foot-3,224 pounds is even bigger than former All-American David Johnson

Have we ever had a 6' 3" running back?? Obviously a bruiser but how fast can someone that big be??

MsMaroon said:
I don't know who will win that UNI/PSU match-up (if the Griz take care of business then I'll root for the Panthers). But what sticks out to me is this:

What's developed during the visiting Panthers' six-game winning streak is the rise of running back Tyvis Smith, who at 6-foot-3,224 pounds is even bigger than former All-American David Johnson

Have we ever had a 6' 3" running back?? Obviously a bruiser but how fast can someone that big be??

I guess you never watched Eric Dickerson.....

CV Griz Fan said:
MsMaroon said:

I guess you never watched Eric Dickerson.....

Guess not. ;) I did look him up though and I did live in California during his time with the LA Rams. HOWEVER, I have never been a fan of the Rams - St. Louis or otherwise - until Tru started playing for them. Skol Vikings . . . them I can talk about :thumb: .

I could never root for UNI. And I would love another shot at PSU with Gus. But there is way to much business to take care of first.

daGrizJ said:

Personally if the Griz beat NDSU on Saturday, I want UNI to beat PSU. We will then host UNI in Missoula, and they haven't fared very well in the playoffs in Missoula.

daGrizJ said:
I could never root for UNI. And I would love another shot at PSU with Gus. But there is way to much business to take care of first.
But . . .
Personally if the Griz beat NDSU on Saturday, I want UNI to beat PSU. We will then host UNI in Missoula, and they haven't fared very well in the playoffs in Missoula.
This. :thumb:

MsMaroon said:

Usain Bolt is too tall to run the 100 meter dash...so they said.

PhxGriz said:
MsMaroon said:

Usain Bolt is too tall to run the 100 meter dash...so they said.

Good point. I guess when the world's fastest human is 6' 5" then the question of "how fast can someone that tall be?" Kinda becomes obvious.....

Back