• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

This has to be said... about this years recruiting class

Paytonlives

Staff member
In the ten years that I have been covering Griz recruiting, I have always taken recruiting with a grain of salt. Never really over hyped any class, because I saw a lot of holes.

But Point blank...this class is by far the best class on paper UM has ever had.
The only class (on paper) that was close was , pause for dramatic effect,..... LAST YEAR!!!

In fact, I took a look at the recruiting classes for the top 10 FCS schools and NONE are in the same ballpark.

I would even venture to say that MANY Mid to lower FBS schools wish they had a class this good.

Main reasons why:
1- Coaches did an awesome job recruiting early and staying with players.
2- Coaches were not afraid to try for upper crust recruits, if you don't believe me look at the recruites UM did not get and where they signed! Mostly large FBS schools.
3- The Yeti Effect THAYNE JACKSON was the best recruiter UM had!
4- The Opening week win vs. ND State. Only game that weekend with a incredible finish and crazy fans!!!!

I know there will be naysayers and ones that want to stir the pot... But trust me...

THIS IS THE GREATEST CLASS OF RECRUITES UM HAS EVER HAD!!!!!

I believe Stitt and Co. have built a rock solid foundation for success for years to come! We are on the cusp of something HUGE here!

Payton, I must agree with you as this (on paper) year has way more top notch kids than we have ever had.

I am so damn happy and thankfull I can't stand it. Stitt and his group are VERY good recruiters. Period!

Both you and THAYNE JACKSON
need to be thanked by all the egrizzers and the rest of Griz Nation
for the work you've both done to make these dreams come true.

Without this thread I doubt some of these top notch recruits would have signed.....

your recruiting thread is a huge reason we got what many would say we never deserved....
On a side note, the kitty fans and coaches are completely dumb founded......but, that's nothing new

but, then again......they did win the in state recruiting war of picking up the best FRONTIER conf caliber players in the "STATE" and they didn't have to pay anymore than full rides for them.....I guess they do have that going for 'em
:lol:

choke_the_chicken_boxer_shorts.jpg

Definitely impressive.

May not even be done once the spring cuts happen.

Could see a few drop downs added between now and August.

Stitt and Co. are doing a hell of a job so far.

Best on what paper?

Seems like we hear the "best class ever" statement every year.

I like the class too, but I don't think you can make that statement yet. If that were true, we'll end up having a couple all-americans and NFL players out of this class. Could happen, but impossible to predict.

Sam A. Blitz said:
Best on what paper?

Seems like we hear the "best class ever" statement every year.

I like the class too, but I don't think you can make that statement yet. If that were true, we'll end up having a couple all-americans and NFL players out of this class. Could happen, but impossible to predict.

I always laugh when people try to make this argument. Of course its just "the best on paper", we have nothing to go off of at this point besides hype and high school/Juco production. That's the fun of the recruiting period, its all about potential (which this class has in spades).

Bear Axed said:
On a side note, the kitty fans and coaches are completely dumb founded......but, that's nothing new

but, then again......they did win the in state recruiting war of picking up the best FRONTIER conf caliber players in the "STATE" and they didn't have to pay anymore than full rides for them.....I guess they do have that going for 'em

Link me, I revel in their desperation! Lol

So can Stitt out recruit NDSU? Seems like that is where the proof in the pudding lies. I do recall one Bobby Hauck saying Montana's fan base had "unrealistic" expectations. I don't like any coach trying to pump that sunshine up our back passages. I like a coach that says we can out recruit and beat our competition.

Bear Axed said:
Both you and THAYNE JACKSON
need to be thanked by all the egrizzers and the rest of Griz Nation
for the work you've both done to make these dreams come true.

Without this thread I doubt some of these top notch recruits would have signed.....

your recruiting thread is a huge reason we got what many would say we never deserved....

There's 2-3 of those guys I'd LOVE to have in Maroon and Silver. No need to smack down the entire class.

This class is huge for a bunch of reasons. First we had some major areas that needed filled, specifically the D line (d tackle especially) and offensive line, we killed it in both areas. Second this was Stitts first full year of recruiting for the Griz so he proved that last year's class was not a fluke. Third this is the last year of the reduced scholarship limits imposed by the NCAA.

And lastly, and maybe most important, next year at this time the coaches will be able to walk the recruits thru the nearly complete Champions Center. This year we just had the drawings and the promise that in a couple of years this is what you get. Not only will the new locker room and weight room draw some great out of state recruits but it will help immensely with the Montana kids that we might not be able to over full money. You add the Champions Center to our game day experience and the new Academic Center and we will have kids breaking down the doors to play here.

Go Griz

Paytonlives said:
In the ten years that I have been covering Griz recruiting, I have always taken recruiting with a grain of salt. Never really over hyped any class, because I saw a lot of holes.

The only class (on paper) that was close was , pause for dramatic effect,..... LAST YEAR!!!

In fact, I took a look at the recruiting classes for the top 10 FCS schools and NONE are in the same ballpark.

I would even venture to say that MANY Mid to lower FBS schools wish they had a class this good.

Main reasons why:
2- Coaches were not afraid to try for upper crust recruits, if you don't believe me look at the recruites UM did not get and where they signed! Mostly large FBS schools.
4- The Opening week win vs. ND State. Only game that weekend with a incredible finish and crazy fans!!!!

I know there will be naysayers and ones that want to stir the pot... But trust me...

If someone else had stated this, I'd take it more seriously. You haven't been very accurate on your assessment of players over the years, so there's no reason to get excited about anything you say about our recruiting. Plus, the only thing in your main reasons that's different than any other school is the NDSU win. All coaches start early and stay with players and they all go after upper crust recruits. Lots of players try to work on other players to get them to sign at the same school. That's been going on for ages. The fact you don't know these things really hurts your credibility.

We've had lots of recruiting classes that look as good as this one. This one has a lot of star-rated players, but we should all know by now that star ratings aren't very accurate. I'd even go so far as to say that if you're a 3-star player and you end up at a FCS school, the people doing the rating are simply wrong, being very liberal with their ratings, or you have baggage (grades, trouble, injuries). No way should a true 3-star player start his career in the FCS.

getgrizzy said:
Paytonlives said:

Main reasons why:

If someone else had stated this, I'd take it more seriously. You haven't been very accurate on your assessment of players over the years, so there's no reason to get excited about anything you say about our recruiting. Plus, the only thing in your main reasons that's different than any other school is the NDSU win. All coaches start early and stay with players and they all go after upper crust recruits. Lots of players try to work on other players to get them to sign at the same school. That's been going on for ages. The fact you don't know these things really hurts your credibility.

We've had lots of recruiting classes that look as good as this one. This one has a lot of star-rated players, but we should all know by now that star ratings aren't very accurate. I'd even go so far as to say that if you're a 3-star player and you end up at a FCS school, the people doing the rating are simply wrong, being very liberal with their ratings, or you have baggage (grades, trouble, injuries). No way should a true 3-star player start his career in the FCS.

Hey everyone, looks like get griz is going to start a new recruiting thread for next year. Seems to have all the answers, and a bunch of credibility.

If you think you can do it better....saddle up.

Thanks Payton for all the time you put into this.

getgrizzy said:
Paytonlives said:

Main reasons why:

Hey fella, turn that frown upside down!

This is a nice class, but I don't think it holds a candle to a few of the classes that Bobby Hauck brought in. I seem to remember one class in particular maybe 2003? It was just a bunch of big time dudes, I think Tyler Joyce was one of the crown jewels of that class.

Back