• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Fields is done in Bozo

Peter Fields has been non-renewed as AD at MSU. Will work until June 30th. :shock:

Bozeman Daily Chroncile scooped by the Billings Gazette. Waded going in a 'new direction.' Guess she thought that firing Ash and Fields at the same time would be too Royce-ish.

He likely got the boot after the President heard they were holding student tryouts in an attempt to fill the cats current recruiting class.

I would guess many are breathing a sigh of relief in boozeville. It never seemed that Fields actually did anything to make their program better.

Waded has noticed how stagnant the football program has been the last 3 years ( even more stagnant than the shit pond...BEAT YOU TO IT!!!). She wants change, a bowled in stadium, and an in-door practice facility. Will all this happen? No, but she is not someone to mess with. Should be interesting....Odd timing for sure.

firmgriz said:
I would guess many are breathing a sigh of relief in boozeville. It never seemed that Fields actually did anything to make their program better.
Well, it took him a while, but everyone seems enthused with his basketball hire two years ago, and the high bb attendance last weekend certainly pointed to an enthusiasm turnaround.

Similarly, while the Ash firing took some by surprise, the replacement hires certainly look to be a turnaround there as well.

It raises the question, once the guy moved and put things in the right direction, looking to turnaround two failing sports programs with arguably good hires, at the least finally putting both programs in a "new direction," only then do you fire the guy because you want a "new direction?"

How do you do that with two new coaching staffs already in place?

If he made good hires, why is he being fired? Is she questioning the new hires?

Something about this seems backwards.

UMGriz75 said:
firmgriz said:
Well, it took him a while, but everyone seems enthused with his basketball hire two years ago, and the high bb attendance last weekend certainly pointed to an enthusiasm turnaround.

Similarly, while the Ash firing took some by surprise, the replacement hires certainly look to be a turnaround there as well.

It raises the question, once the guy moved and put things in the right direction, looking to turnaround two failing sports programs with arguably good hires, at the least finally putting both programs in a "new direction," only then do you fire the guy because you want a "new direction?"

I agree he made good hires for both bb and fb. I think his weakness is his PR skills and raising money. I believe this is where Cruzado is headed with this. She is impatient with the pace of change in capital improvements. She wants the stadium bowled in and an indoor practice facility soon (within five years). She will be looking to bring in a go getter that has good PR skills and has a track record of raising money.

UMGriz75 said:
firmgriz said:

Maybe Cruzado was going for a smooth transition by just letting the contracts expire? Who knows, it's all speculative anyways unless you personally confide in Cruzado. I think most people would agree that Peter Fields was a bit of a lame duck AD. MSU is making a concerted effort to really turn things around with the athletics program. I would think that most people who have interest in MSU athletics are happy with this move.

What took 'em so long?

Now, if they could do the rest of the conference a solid and hire Foolerton back, we'd all be better for it.

Back