• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz QB's

Paytonlives

Staff member
Not sure what to make of this, but seems like something has to give....

Sr. Brady Gustafson 6-7 230
Sr. Chad Chalich 6-0 205

So. Eric Prater 6-2 205
So. Reese Phillips 6-2 225
So. Will Weyer 6-5 208
So. Connor Kaegi 6-7 205

Fr. Gresch Jensen 6-2 214
Fr. Brandon Bea 6-4 217

How many other teams at this level would have that many QB's in competition during camp? Shits gonna get real this spring/fall.

2 Seniors and 3 other guys that won't ever see the field as Griz. no issue with brining in another Fr

Weyer isn't a QB anymore. Both frosh will RS. Chalich and Prater are interesting because they both lost a not even remotely close battle with Brady. If they are both here still next fall, that tells me a ton about their character. Not that leaving to play somewhere else is a bad thing either, but I feel like if Chalich was going to go to Carroll he would have done it already.

At any rate, regardless of what the roster says, we all know it's a two-man showdown this spring, and probably early in fall camp.

havgrizfan said:
Weyer isn't a QB anymore. Both frosh will RS. Chalich and Prater are interesting because they both lost a not even remotely close battle with Brady. If they are both here still next fall, that tells me a ton about their character. Not that leaving to play somewhere else is a bad thing either, but I feel like if Chalich was going to go to Carroll he would have done it already.

At any rate, regardless of what the roster says, we all know it's a two-man showdown this spring, and probably early in fall camp.

What is Weyer then? I've seen nothing indicating he's changing positions...SIMIS changed, but what is Weyer?

I have no problem with the glut of QB candidates. Even the best talent evaluators in the world (NFL personnel execs and scouts) whiff on a lot more than they hit.

Stitt is smart to increase his odds of finding a QB that has the raw talent but more importantly, the intangible "it" factor that leads to championships.

mtgriz said:
I have no problem with the glut of QB candidates. Even the best talent evaluators in the world (NFL personnel execs and scouts) whiff on a lot more than they hit.

Stitt is smart to increase his odds of finding a QB that has the raw talent but more importantly, the intangible "it" factor that leads to championships.

This is how I see it too and I don't think its hugely unordinary... Even with the high numbers, I see about the right amount of scholarships to that position. Opening day, I'm sure there will be 3 or 4 QB's dressed and 1 or 2 red shirting. Seems about right.

Sam A. Blitz said:
mtgriz said:

This is how I see it too and I don't think its hugely unordinary... Even with the high numbers, I see about the right amount of scholarships to that position. Opening day, I'm sure there will be 3 or 4 QB's dressed and 1 or 2 red shirting. Seems about right.

That's the way I view it as well. 4 schollies....that's really all the matters there.

Paytonlives said:
AZGrizFan said:
Phillips is a JR, no?

Thats what i thought GoGriz has a soph

Reese will be a RS JR. He is going to apply for a medical redshirt for last year... (0% chance he gets it seeing as he played the second half of the year as the holder). I definitely don't like the fact the young man went to the media and spoke about his old coach and teammates, but at the same time I can understand his frustration towards Stoops for ruining any chance he as at the Medical RS.

CaryGrant said:
I definitely don't like the fact the young man went to the media and spoke about his old coach and teammates, but at the same time I can understand his frustration towards Stoops for ruining any chance he as at the Medical RS.
He's pretty opinionated about coaches, and feels he needs to be the starting QB wherever he is. I am sure we are in for "interesting times."

UMGriz75 said:
CaryGrant said:
I definitely don't like the fact the young man went to the media and spoke about his old coach and teammates, but at the same time I can understand his frustration towards Stoops for ruining any chance he as at the Medical RS.
He's pretty opinionated about coaches, and feels he needs to be the starting QB wherever he is. I am sure we are in for "interesting times."

You guys are doing a good job about creating something out of nothing. He didn't bad mouth anyone and he just said I want to play for a winner. There is nothing wrong with that IMO. The best quarterback for this team in Coach's eyes will be the starter regardless of who it is or what they may think.

End of conversation and pot stirring.

Griz1 said:
UMGriz75 said:
CaryGrant said:
You guys are doing a good job about creating something out of nothing. He didn't bad mouth anyone and he just said I want to play for a winner. There is nothing wrong with that IMO. The best quarterback for this team in Coach's eyes will be the starter regardless of who it is or what they may think.

If Dawson's firing wasn't the last straw for Phillips, his decision became clear when Stoops announced that rising sophomore Drew Barker will be the Wildcats' starting quarterback for the 2016 season. That was a primary reason that Patrick Towles, who started 10 games for the Wildcats in 2015, decided to transfer to Boston College.

"That wasn't really fair to Pat or to me. Drew is a friend, but speaking honestly he didn't do anything special those last two games and Stoops still gave him the job. That wasn't fair," Phillips said. "I'm not the type to make excuses, but I never got beat out."
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2015/dec/27/phillips-weighing-numerous-fcs-options/342103/

He's a talker ... whether it's about his teammates or his coach, he lets you know what he's thinking.

UMGriz75 said:
Griz1 said:
UMGriz75 said:
CaryGrant said:

If Dawson's firing wasn't the last straw for Phillips, his decision became clear when Stoops announced that rising sophomore Drew Barker will be the Wildcats' starting quarterback for the 2016 season. That was a primary reason that Patrick Towles, who started 10 games for the Wildcats in 2015, decided to transfer to Boston College.

"That wasn't really fair to Pat or to me. Drew is a friend, but speaking honestly he didn't do anything special those last two games and Stoops still gave him the job. That wasn't fair," Phillips said. "I'm not the type to make excuses, but I never got beat out."
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/sports/college/story/2015/dec/27/phillips-weighing-numerous-fcs-options/342103/

He's a talker ... whether it's about his teammates or his coach, he lets you know what he's thinking.

You must admire this...

bgbigdog said:
UMGriz75 said:
Griz1 said:
UMGriz75 said:

You must admire this...

Uh oh. It's on like DONKEY KONG now, motherfuckers... :lol: :lol:

Back