• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

A Drudge Report, but for Griz Athletics

Hi Everyone -- Hope your Friday is going well!

I wanted to get your feedback on a special page I've been putting together Griz Fan News: www.grizfannews.com/griz-report/

I'm trying to keep the site updated as I have the chance, but it's a hobby and not a full-time editor position so when I get busy, the content on the site gets a bit stale because I was manually updating everything.

During recruiting season though I again found myself hunting around for news and information and I thought I would be nice to be able to find all of this stuff on one page -- so I began looking into a few solutions and realized I could spend a few bucks an actually build an automated news feed that I could use to automatically pull news stories from across the web into one place.

I spent some time this week geeking out and it's not perfect yet -- some news stories are popping up where they shouldn't be -- but it's to the point where I think it's ready to share with other Griz fans.

So check it out when you have the chance and let me know what you think. If nothing else it's a something to browse while you drink your morning coffee... :coffee:

Go Griz!

Book Marked..... :thumb:

Let me know if you need any kitty Gifs

75530c64ade5c64a1e5abce02a2090b4.gif

Dont' take this the wrong way, but isn't that just a prettier version of what O-Griz has been doing here for a long time?

http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewforum.php?f=18

I've been on here for years, but hadn't seen those before. Good work oGriz, very nice!

AZ to answer your question, the short answer is yes and no... (no I'm not a politician)

The longer answer is that it's not just cosmetic. What I've setup is automated so the 'Griz Report' page updates on it's own throughout the day as the stories are published, indexed and crawled.

I like this for purely selfish reasons -- up until now everything on the GFN site, with the exception to the pages that show the Twitter feeds, has been manually pushed out by me. I find the news, pull in a picture, write a summary, link to the original article... very manually intensive.

The Griz Report page though is automated. Every hour it goes out and looks for new Griz articles. If it finds them, it pulls them into GFN and then they show up on the Griz Report page in the appropriate section (at least they're supposed to, I'm still refining that part a bit).

But now I'm like everyone else who comes to the Griz Report. I get to check in and see what's new while I'm waiting for my kid at the orthodontist or to finish up practice or whatever.

So to answer your question, both offer access to UM Grizzly News. What I put together checks for updates hourly, publishes new articles automatically, and will soon also make the articles available on the website as well as Twitter and Facebook.

One last thing, because the Griz Report back end is crawling the web looking for Griz content, it's going to find stuff from news sites we've never heard of before. I noticed that some articles leading up to signing day, which I thought was pretty cool.

So thanks for the question. I hope I answered it. And thanks for letting me know about what's already here on eGriz, what oGriz has been doing will be a great bench mark.

Go Griz!

Bear Axed said:
Book Marked..... :thumb:

Let me know if you need any kitty Gifs

75530c64ade5c64a1e5abce02a2090b4.gif

This is great, though I figured there were already enough cat videos on the web so I decided to focus on the Griz instead!

there used to be a blog like this called the "Grizzoulian", but that stopped being a thing a while ago. hopefully it works out for ya.

In the real world, I'm a web designer and developer. So, one serious piece of advice: that font is feckin' tiny. 10px? 16px=1rem. That's standard font size for a reason. Also, 50x50px thumbnail images aren't even worth the effort. Make it readable, and then come back...

Larry Donovan said:
In the real world, I'm a web designer and developer. So, one serious piece of advice: that font is feckin' tiny. 10px? 16px=1rem. That's standard font size for a reason. Also, 50x50px thumbnail images aren't even worth the effort. Make it readable, and then come back...
If there aren't any Bear Axed kitty images, I'm really not interested. But, thank you anyway!

Larry Donovan said:

Nice work on your website, but I have to agree--your font sizes are too small.

Font size is too large.

Oops, never mind, I had it on "old person setting"

Looks good!

Good idea, but if you can, I'd recommend you ID the source of the info: Missoulian, Billings Gazette, Kaimin, and so on. Sometimes makes a difference in whether you want to access it or not, due to the source's subscriber policies.

Ursa Major said:
Larry Donovan said:
If there aren't any Bear Axed kitty images, I'm really not interested. But, thank you anyway!

02AF1EF666C17D930947EDE0061D36FA49BC9318

Looks good. I saved it to my favorites. Keep it updated it could turn into the one stop spot for GRIZ news.

Larry Donovan said:

Are you on a mobile device, tablet or desktop?

Also I just found out how to tweak the CSS so I've increased both the font size and the thumbnails too.

GrizFanNews said:
Larry Donovan said:

I've tried both, and both are way too small. Default text size on a desktop browser is 16px, or, if you want to use modern coding, leave it at 1rem/1em for the base font, and adjust from there for headings, etc... might get away with 14px for mobile. right now, the CSS style "wprss-feed-excerpt" is forcing your body text down to 10px. Considering that the main page is a giant wall of text, at 10px, its like trying to read the IRS tax code from across the room.

grizonbob said:
Good idea, but if you can, I'd recommend you ID the source of the info: Missoulian, Billings Gazette, Kaimin, and so on. Sometimes makes a difference in whether you want to access it or not, due to the source's subscriber policies.

Done.

Larry Donovan said:
GrizFanNews said:
Larry Donovan said:

I've tried both, and both are way too small. Default text size on a desktop browser is 16px, or, if you want to use modern coding, leave it at 1rem/1em for the base font, and adjust from there for headings, etc... might get away with 14px for mobile. right now, the CSS style "wprss-feed-excerpt" is forcing your body text down to 10px. Considering that the main page is a giant wall of text, at 10px, its like trying to read the IRS tax code from across the room.

Ok I've bumped the font-size and the thumbnail sizes. Heading out the door now, but will check back in again later.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back