• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Position Breakdown: QB

BWahlberg

DONOR
Now that we've got a little bit more clear picture of the 2016 roster I thought I'd be fun to once again go position by position for discussions on the roster, depth, etc. Naturally the one most people are going to be looking at should start the discussion, quarterback.

Here's my guess as to depth at the start of spring ball.

Starter Brady Gustafson - Sr
2nd string Chad Chalich - Sr
Depth Reese Phillips - Jr, Eric Prater - Soph, Connor Kaegi - Soph, Will Weyer - Soph
Red Shirt Gresch Jensen - Fr, Brandon Bea - Fr

--------------

Brady Gustafson - Last year's starter that showed us the great potential (1st NDSU game, EWU and MSU games) and possible pitfalls (CPSLO game and 2nd NDSU game). Brady also had a pretty rough mid-season injury that sidelined him for a good stretch as well. Brady will benefit from a full year in the system, knowledge of the offense, and he's faced and won a QB battle before (last year). The newly brought in competition of Phillips is going to push him. Brady's shown that he can read defenses pretty well and he's great with the hurry up. His down side from last year was some very bad throwing decisions in critical games, especially when pressured.

Chad Chalich - I assume that Chad will hold the backup spot over Phillips for the time being due to knowledge of the system. Chad came in for Brady and showed he brought a bit more mobility to the QB position and he could run the hurry up as well. However once in the game it was pretty clear the complexity of the offense was scaled back. Will a full year of time with Stitt's offense get Chad up to speed? If so he could hold the backup spot, if not, he may lose the job to Phillips.

Reese Phillips - Obviously the guy everyone's going to watch. Yes he's an SEC transfer, but from a school that hasn't posted a winning season in 5 years now and I don't think he saw much of the field at all. One post I read on here did probably sum it up though, you don't get to the SEC by accident, so presumably Phillips will bring some heated competition to the QB race. Another benefit Phillips has is that UK's offense and Stitt's offense have some similar styles, so the quick pace and fast reads won't be an adjustment for him (like it was for Chalich last year). We'll have to see how Phillips does in the spring, obviously a lot of people are assuming he'll rise quickly and will battle Gus to start. My guess is that it won't be solved come the end of spring ball.

Eric Prater - Prater's in a funky position this year, he's going to be watching the battle between two seniors in Gus and Chalich and one junior in Phillips. The chance to start for the Griz probably isn't a reality this year, but for 2016 it'll be good for him to match up against Phillips. Prater has a very strong arm, which the players and coaches like. He showed last season that he was still adapting to the offense as he'd go from hot to cold really quick. For him this year showing improved consistency will be key.

Connor Kaegi - Kaegi is enrolled and will be here for spring camp, that's a big benefit for him compared to the high school signees of Jensen and Bea who won't be here until the fall. For Connor it's going to be learning the system and starting to work with and become familiar with the WRs that he'll be throwing to in the years ahead. If he's got a red shirt still I'd bet that the coaches intend on applying that.

Will Weyer - Still listed on the roster, I'd heard (and read) otherwise, that he's going to be hanging it up. Didn't participate in fall camp and wasn't seen in the 2015 season. Tough to say if we'll see Will or what we'll see out of him.

Gresch Jensen & Brandon Bea - Both will be here in the fall, both are obviously going to be looking at a redshirt for 2016.

------------
By class that would break the 2016 roster to:

Seniors - 2
Juniors - 1
Sophomores - 3
Freshman - 2

And with the red shirts applied (assuming Kaegi has an RS to use) the 2017 roster would look like:

Seniors - 1
Juniors - 2
Sophomores - 1
RS-Frosh - 2

So while it seems kind of over-loaded at the time, after this season there's going to be a need for some young depth, which is what Stitt seemed to target in this recruiting class.

------------

It's going to be real interesting to see how spring camp goes for the team. At this time I don't see Gus losing the job, I think the addition of Phillips will bring the best out in him. Last year's competition really pushed him, and it surprised many that he won the job - however he proved he can run this offense and beat good football teams.

I think that Stitt has "his" selected QB's coming in. The position is BH to loose. I personally think we see a different starter this next year. Just a hunch.

I think your right about Gus keeping the job for now. Gonna be interesting to see if Chalich can get a better grip on the O and how quickly can Reese push Gus and Chalich? I think Stitt lost some confidence in Gus after the NDSU loss but I don't see Stitt replacing Gus cus of that. I see Stitt giving him an honest shot to keep the job if he proves to stay ahead of the competion. Normally I would not think much of Keige coming from a small school but Im guessing Stitt sees something in him. Aaron Rogers started at a JC also so there's always a chance of getting something special. I'm also intrigued by Praters development and how the '17 battle between him and Reese will work out. And in '18? The future is bright for Griz QB's.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Brandon Bea didn't start over QB Jerrin Williams at Evergreen HS. Jerrin plays S for the Griz.
Wrong fit for their O. They must run some sort of heavy run offence because last year they averaged about 250 yards rushing a game and about 120 yards passing a game.

alabamagrizzly said:
I think your right about Gus keeping the job for now. Gonna be interesting to see if Chalich can get a better grip on the O and how quickly can Reese push Gus and Chalich? I think Stitt lost some confidence in Gus after the NDSU loss but I don't see Stitt replacing Gus cus of that. I see Stitt giving him an honest shot to keep the job if he proves to stay ahead of the competion. Normally I would not think much of Keige coming from a small school but Im guessing Stitt sees something in him. Aaron Rogers started at a JC also so there's always a chance of getting something special. I'm also intrigued by Praters development and how the '17 battle between him and Reese will work out. And in '18? The future is bright for Griz QB's.

For Chalich he went from a pro-style/ball control offense to a hurry up, that was a challenge for him. Philips is going from hurry up to hurry up - so that adjustment won't be needed, as much.

I could see it going as follows:

2016 key battle: Gus vs Chalich and Phillips

2017 key battle: Phillips vs Prater and Kaegi

2018 key battle Prater vs Kaegi or Jensen or Bea

Inspector Griz said:
I think that Stitt has "his" selected QB's coming in. The position is BH to loose. I personally think we see a different starter this next year. Just a hunch.

BG's to lose I assume you mean?

BWahlberg said:
alabamagrizzly said:

For Chalich he went from a pro-style/ball control offense to a hurry up, that was a challenge for him. Philips is going from hurry up to hurry up - so that adjustment won't be needed, as much.

I really don't ever see Prater as a serious option....and think Jensen will be in the mix in 2017

BWahlberg said:
Reese Phillips - Obviously the guy everyone's going to watch. Yes he's an SEC transfer, but from a school that hasn't posted a winning season in 5 years now and I don't think he saw much of the field at all. One post I read on here did probably sum it up though, you don't get to the SEC by accident, so presumably Phillips will bring some heated competition to the QB race. Another benefit Phillips has is that UK's offense and Stitt's offense have some similar styles, so the quick pace and fast reads won't be an adjustment for him (like it was for Chalich last year). We'll have to see how Phillips does in the spring, obviously a lot of people are assuming he'll rise quickly and will battle Gus to start. My guess is that it won't be solved come the end of spring ball.

I used to assume that as well....then Roper came along.

alabamagrizzly said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
Brandon Bea didn't start over QB Jerrin Williams at Evergreen HS. Jerrin plays S for the Griz.
Wrong fit for their O. They must run some sort of heavy run offence because last year they averaged about 250 yards rushing a game and about 120 yards passing a game.

Bea started at QB at Evergreen as a Soph. Bae was then beat out his Junior year by the more athletic Senior Jerrin Williams (who transferred in from the state of Oregon, where he was a two-time all conference QB already). Williams won his 3rd overall all conference selection at QB at Evergreen. Williams could spin it, just ask Griz WR Kobey Eaton, his receiver. Where Williams really had the edge over Bea though was when Williams would drop back, if the receivers were covered, Williams could tuck it and run for huge yardage--take it to the house speed/athleticism. A lot of yards came from the QB Williams pulling it down and running. on pass plays. They ran 4 and even 5 wide receiver sets (no RB), not a heavy run offense while the two were there.

Check out what I mean: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3024685/jerrin-williams

Bae's tape from TN looks really good. Strong arm, good sized, poised kid. He had an offer from Univ of San Diego.

BWahlberg said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Your forgetting the 4 star QB that Stitt will be recruiting next year. I'd bet he'll go after a 5 star too but c'mon. That's wishing for too much. Right?

To be honest, if Stitt really gets this thing going, I'd bet a 5 star would at least consider coming here.

IntuitiveGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

Bea started at QB at Evergreen as a Soph. Bae was then beat out his Junior year by the more athletic Senior Jerrin Williams (who transferred in from the state of Oregon, where he was a two-time all conference QB already). Williams won his 3rd overall all conference selection at QB at Evergreen. Williams could spin it, just ask Griz WR Kobey Eaton, his receiver. Where Williams really had the edge over Bea though was when Williams would drop back, if the receivers were covered, Williams could tuck it and run for huge yardage--take it to the house speed/athleticism. A lot of yards came from the QB Williams pulling it down and running. on pass plays.

Check out what I mean: http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3024685/jerrin-williams

Bae's tape from TN looks really good. Strong arm, good sized, poised kid. He had an offer from Univ of San Diego.
Is Bae walking on? I'm guessing Stitt sees him as a project.

AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:

True, but most years SEC > Pac12. I am in no way saying Phillips will be great (or even better than Roper) just because he played in the SEC, but he is coming in with a lot of potential. Only time will tell if he is more like Roper or Ochs in terms of drop down QBs. :twocents:

AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:

Ugh, good point

statler & waldorf said:
Twice the number needed. Waste of scarce resources.

Since it will be pared down after spring ball and since 4 of them are not on scholarship....not sure how it is really a waste of resources....

statler & waldorf said:

In this offense that's the one spot that you can't whiff on, I'd rather they put a few extra guys there just in case than have none at all.

Also I think that Kaegi, Bea, Prater & Weyer are probably all non-football scholarship guys - so basically you've got Gus, Phillips, Chalich, and Jensen "using" the resources of some sort of scholarship aid.

EDIT: I'd also bet that since he's in-state Gus probably isn't a full ride guy either.

statler & waldorf said:

THere's no "resources" being wasted on the majority of these guys. In fact, I'd guess no more than 4 full scholarships among the group, which is what you'd expect in any group of QB's.

GRIZFAN20 said:
AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:

True, but most years SEC > Pac12. I am in no way saying Phillips will be great (or even better than Roper) just because he played in the SEC, but he is coming in with a lot of potential. Only time will tell if he is more like Roper or Ochs in terms of drop down QBs. :twocents:

All I'm saying is these guys drop down for a reason. They don't see the field at their original school for a reason. Don't expect miracles from Phillips just because he was at an SEC school.

No worse word in the world than "potential".

Back