• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Position Breakdown: RB

BWahlberg

DONOR
Going to try to get a few of these done each week since we're less than 2 months from spring camp starting!

The running back discussion is an interesting one due to the fact that this spring camp, to the best of my knowledge, there's no new faces that'll be participating. Additionally there's been departures in Lorenzo Logwood and Carl Johnson. So now we've got mostly the same guys from a group that was beat up last year and is going to be looked upon to put up some much bigger numbers this season.

Starter John Nguyen - Sr
2nd String Jeremy Calhoun - Soph
Depth Joey Counts - Sr, Treshawn Favors - Jr, Brody Martinez - Fr
Red Shirt Rey Green - Fr

John Nguyen - John, like his brother, has taken the brunt of criticism on this board yet he returns as our leading rusher by far with 855 yards from last season, and our top receiver in terms of catches (with 31). Additionally his ST contribution on punts placed him as 3rd most on the team in all-purpose yards. What I think built up the angst towards him on here was some decision making on running lanes and the lack of power in needed situations - both of which were maybe forced upon him due to lack of options in the RB corps. Nguyen is a very good pass blocker and is tough to tackle clean. He's best when he gets into the 2nd level and is a dangerous receiving option. Hopefully with improved health from all RB's this year he won't be forced into a role that he doesn't fit best at. I said it last year and I was wrong but what the hell, I'm going to project it again - I'm thinking John can get 1000 on the ground and 500 receiving.

Jeremy Calhoun - Emerged late in the season and had great success at the goal line. 9 rushing TDs! What Calhoun wasn't able to show though was the big play and long-bursts that Nguyen and Counts could do. That'll be the biggest thing I'll be looking for from Jeremy this year. His 2.9 ypc average was the lowest of all the running backs. Obviously it seems the talent is there and the staff will be looking to have Calhoun expand his role. I'm thinking he's going to start as the change of pace and power/goal line back as a handoff from what he accomplished last season.

Joey Counts - It's an interesting predicament for Joey and what it comes down to for him (IMO) is if he can stay healthy. Much like his predecessor, Dan Moore, Joey has all the hype, great size, good speed, a killer attitude, and a lot of fans expecting so much from him. Joey is a real wild-card to the depth, because if healthy he could snag the #1 role with a real strong performance. Obviously he's too good to just languish on the bench either, so it'll be interesting to see how he's worked in to the offense.

Tre Favors - Favors is kind of wedged behind the two seniors in Counts and Nguyen but should see plenty of chances himself. He dealt with injuries last season as well... like most all of our RBs did. I seemed to me, from what I saw watching some spring and fall camp, that the adjustment to the offense was taking a little more time for Tre, but he had a few great plays and flashed some good potential in limited carries this season. Favors is more of the balanced back and presents better use all across the running game.

Brody Martinez - Had to do some prior egriz post research on him bc I think he sat out the fall camp. It looks like he's coming back from an ACL tear but many people were pointing out pre-injury he was on some FBS teams radars. If that's the case, with many unknown health aspects of the guys in front of him and limited depth - he's going to see a lot of the field this spring and could start building a case to become a main role player in the years ahead. Looks like the kid had interest from Wyoming and Utah State before the injury. Since he's about 18 months removed from it I assume he'll be full speed, should be interesting to watch.

Rey Green - Won't be here until the fall and unless the RB health situation falls apart again I'll assume he's looking at a red shirt.

-------------

The fascinating thing about this group is there's an argument, somewhat, for at least 3 if not 4 of the guys that they could be the starter. I'm thinking all 4 will be used and it should be quite the battle to watch unfold. I think Nguyen's versatility and durability compared to the others gives him a leg up from the start, but really this job could be anyone's to grab at this point.

I really like Ngyuen, but I think his lack of any top end speed is a huge detriment that can't be overlooked. I haven't seen anything of Favors that has impressed me, seemed like he was hyped alot coming out of high school, but that's about it. Limited observation, but doesn't seem to have great vision or timing to the hole. Counts has alot of upside, but hard to think he'll ever stay healthy through a full season at this point.

I'm not usually on the side of playing true frosh. For instance, I think our o-line will be really solid next year with mostly seniors (yes, the same guys that have steadily improved the last three years) and with limited contribution (with the exception of Hart and Villanueva) by the young studs. However, In this case I really hope Stitt finds the best result, even if it's burning Green's redshirt and rotating him and Calhoun. My hope is that Martinez steps up and Counts can stay healthy, but for all the "we're a few years out still" talk, I sure as hell don't think Stitt is thinking that way.

As much as NDSU is discussed on this board, they won their first FCS NC with a core of young guys who just got better each year. The point is, we don't really know what we have in certain areas yet, but our coaches have to try and find the right abilities and attitudes to make this team a contender THIS year.

Glendivegriz said:
Did we burn Calhoun's redshirt?

In most cases (a few exceptions like Mormon mission) you have 5 years to play 4.....so now he has 4 to play 3. Could "redshirt" any year but not likely unless injured would he now sit a year

I'm wondering if our "insider" missed on the supposed "drop-down" rumored to be in the mix this season? Or did that become moot when Rey wound up committing?

Thanks for the analysis Brint! It ties winter into spring football every year! How about someone like Holden Ryan getting a chance? He's a bigger kid, and was pretty dominating in high school!

I think Calhoun will be a standout! However, no back we have will be great if we have the mediocre O-line we have had the last couple years.

285905bb76c38897cbae875ece0f2b8a.jpg

Get on it BW :thumb:

2015 fumble stats

FUMBLES no-lost ndsu cp liberty nau ucd wsu und psu isu ewu msu sdsu ndsu
Makena Simis QB 7-3 DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP 1-1 - 4-0 2-2 - DNP DNP DNP
Brady Gustafson QB 3-1 1-1 2-0 - DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP - - - -
Ellis Henderson WR 2-2 - 1-1 - - - - - - - 1-1 - - -
Chad Chalich QB 2-1 DNP DNP 1-0 - 1-1 - DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP
Ryan Burke 1-1 1-1 - - - DNP DNP DNP DNP - DNP DNP DNP DNP
Joey Counts RB 1-1 - - 1-1 - DNP DNP DNP DNP DNP - DNP DNP -
Ben Roberts WR 1-0 - - - - - - - - - 1-0 - - -
John Nguyen RB 1-0 - - - 1-0 - - - - - - - - -
Jeremy Calhoun RB 1-1 DNP DNP - DNP - - - - - 1-1 - - -
Treshawn Favors RB 1-1 DNP - DNP - - - - - DNP 1-1 DNP DNP DNP

It was a tough blow for us to lose Logwood as he showed a lot of promise.
Favors needs to learn how to block, or at least figure out the play book. If he gets that down he could be OK.
Winn is Winn and he is a tough little nut. Keep him from returning punts and I am high on him.
Martiniz could be the surprise RB of this year.
Calhoon is a good back and we will see great things from him.
Counts is another tough cookie. He is due for a good healthy season. I love the kid.

grizindabox said:
Glendivegriz said:

No...

Every once in a while I do agree with you!!

Of course the answer is no. I'm shocked that some people insist that his redshirt was "burned"! :roll:

If Calhoun can improve his pass-blocking I expect he'll take the starting job. He already was our best back at finishing his runs, Nguyen was just needed badly to help with pass protection.

Aside from those two guys our depth is pretty murky....maybe Favors? I'm betting Martinez is a year out from being division 1 ready. Don't think we can ever expect Counts to be ready on a consistent basis. I'll bet we see a FBS drop down over the summer.

Hammer said:
Alaska Griz said:
Glendivegriz said:

yes

You should educate yourself on how the redshirt system works.
I played in college...so I'm pretty familar with how red-shirting works...and I didn't say it was a bad thing that he played as a true frosh, but don't kid yourself, he played because he had to. If you dislike the word "burn," then so be it. Yes, he can still red-shirt another year if he gets injured...however, most programs, including UM, strive to redshirt players their first year to allow them to grow. In light of that, when they play as a true freshmen the term most often used is "burn." It's not accurate in one sense, but that is what coaches call it, hence why Stitt said they wanted to red-shirt Calhoun, but had no choice but to play him.

brewskis said:
If Calhoun can improve his pass-blocking I expect he'll take the starting job. He already was our best back at finishing his runs, Nguyen was just needed badly to help with pass protection.

Aside from those two guys our depth is pretty murky....maybe Favors? I'm betting Martinez is a year out from being division 1 ready. Don't think we can ever expect Counts to be ready on a consistent basis. I'll bet we see a FBS drop down over the summer.

Perhaps you will be proven to be right, but why do you think Calhoun will start?

In 184 carries, Nguyen averaged 4.6 yards per carry and had a long of 48. He also caught 31 passes. He had one fumble and didn't lose any.

In 100 carries, Calhoun averaged 2.9 per carry and had a long of 27. He caught 5 passes. He lost 1 fumble.

Calhoun will play alot and will improve, of course.

Back