• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gustafson gonna be the man again this year?

THE HERD

Just curious since spring ball is almost over.....any young gun trying to steal the job away? Also you guys gonna have any size at RB this year or is it gonna be the scat back types again? I'll hang up and listen :thumb:

Griz brought in a couple of guys to compete with BG, and Chalich still with the Program. Looks like BG's spot to lose.

if we could keep Counts (our physical back) healthy we would be fine,,,,this is his senior year and has not happened yet,,,so scat backs it will probably be.....

Stitt has put him as the #1 guy and he has not lost it yet. It will be interesting to see if the transfer from Kentucky can make a run at the spot

krammer said:
if we could keep Counts (our physical back) healthy we would be fine,,,,this is his senior year and has not happened yet,,,so scat backs it will probably be.....
Calhoun is in no way a scat back, and he is more physical than Counts by a mile. We're gonna be just fine with him in the backfield, now we just need the line to protect Brady and let Calhoun get past the first level.

Im Interested to see who becomes the go to receivers. Last year with Jones and Henderson, it was obvious who they'd be. Will be fun to watch.

Unless the other guys at QB far exceed Brady its Brady's job. If the other guys showed similar are only slightly better ability it's still Brady's job. They're gonna have to blow past him to change the current dynamic. I'm hoping Brady get's a ton of pressure put on him by the other guys and feels like he has to prove himself each and every practice...each and every game. But it is definitely his job to lose.

Gus sure appears to be the expected starter for the season based on Stitt's quotes in the the gogriz.com 2016 offensive preview.

While competition has increased, Stitt has indicated that the starting quarterback position will remain with Gustafson, allowing the senior from Billings to develop as one of the Big Sky's top returning passers.

"It's huge in our offensive scheme to have somebody that understands what we're doing and you can continue to progress as you get more reps and you can bank more knowledge," said Stitt.

http://gogriz.com/news/2016/4/12/griz-football-2016-a-potent-attack.aspx

Not in Missoula so I haven't seen Philips play yet, but Brady throws a great ball and I doubt Philips will have as solid of a grasp on Stitt's offense as Brady by this fall. I know Chalich doesn't, but it sounds like he can actually run the offense now so that is great for depth purposes. Brady's confidence and decisiveness is what is really impressive. If the line can protect him and facilitate the run game better this year we'll hopefully see more consistent play from him.

Stitt obviously wants "feature RB" type guys in his offense, he's brought in two so far in Calhoun and Green. Calhoun should be the main guy this year IMO, but I do like Nguyen. Calhoun has great speed and finishes his runs well, and we've heard he's added muscle this offseason. As long as he progresses from last season I think he'll be the first 1000 yard back in Stitt's offense here at Montana.

Phillips looks good and Chalich looks vastly improved over last year. Gus still seems like the main guy though and I recall there was a gogriz.com article where Stitt said that Brady is and will remain the #1. Once Phillips "gets it" we're in real good hands, IMO. He's made some mistakes you see guys make when learning a playbook - mistakes that Gus and Chalich aren't making at this point, but that's easily correctable with time.

brewskis said:
krammer said:
Calhoun is in no way a scat back, and he is more physical than Counts by a mile. We're gonna be just fine with him in the backfield, now we just need the line to protect Brady and let Calhoun get past the first level.

Calhoun could be pretty comparable to Frazier in size & skill sets. Had there been better line play, who knows. More physical than Counts? No. I realize Joey sees less & less of the field with his style, but Calhoun is a run to daylight & finisher kind of back. Counts is a run to/over anyone in the way kind of back. That's why he is dinged all the time.

Sorry, didn't see the clock, Friday afternoon, my bad.

THE HERD said:
Just curious since spring ball is almost over.....any young gun trying to steal the job away? Also you guys gonna have any size at RB this year or is it gonna be the scat back types again? I'll hang up and listen :thumb:

Who takes the reins from the kid QB if he goes down?

THE HERD said:

Calhoun behind your offensive line would be something to behold.

bgbigdog said:
brewskis said:
krammer said:

Calhoun could be pretty comparable to Frazier in size & skill sets. Had there been better line play, who knows. More physical than Counts? No. I realize Joey sees less & less of the field with his style, but Calhoun is a run to daylight & finisher kind of back. Counts is a run to/over anyone in the way kind of back. That's why he is dinged all the time.

Sorry, didn't see the clock, Friday afternoon, my bad.
Counts' size and shape make him look like a physical back that runs over people, and he's had a couple runs that go that way...but it's his lifting regime and likely some bad luck genetically that keeps him in the training room instead of on the field. Calhoun is a better power runner than Counts every day of the week.

Unfortunately I don't think there's anyone better than Gus. This offense needs a mobile, physical QB and that isn't something Gus can do despite his ability to throw and run the O.

If Gustafson is the best we have the rest of the world knows why the Griz are mired in mediocrity and watching NDSU win 7 straight

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Griz90 said:
Unless the other guys at QB far exceed Brady its Brady's job. If the other guys showed similar are only slightly better ability it's still Brady's job. They're gonna have to blow past him to change the current dynamic. I'm hoping Brady get's a ton of pressure put on him by the other guys and feels like he has to prove himself each and every practice...each and every game. But it is definitely his job to lose.
I agree. The competition will be good for BG.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
If Gustafson is the best we have the rest of the world knows why the Griz are mired in mediocrity and watching NDSU win 7 straight

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

would it have anything to do with replacing about fifteen starters ?....new defensive coordinator and a second year head coach ?......your on solid ground with ndsu so you are taking no chances there, but gus may surprise many and he can run some too.

Back