• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

CB Help

StumptownGriz

Nigel Bethel was a short lived, long-shot rumor, which led to some speculation about former Texas DB and current Scottsdale CC stud Chevoski Collins as our CB transfer to be announced this summer. No new information has come out since he started following multiple coaches on twitter and no other names have surfaced. I know that coaches have alluded to help being on the way to shore up the CB position but I'm getting a little nervous. JR Nelson is a projected 1st team all conference player, Markell Sanders is unproven as a starter but could really break out. After those two we fall off a cliff. Ryan McKinley has talent but has yet to flash it, and in my opinion should be playing Free Safety (hope he proves me wrong). Shane Moody is not a D1 CB, love his heart and hustle but he's just not going to help us at that position.
So that leaves us for now, with True Freshman Lewis Cowans and Josh Egbo (great athlete who's never played CB) as our incoming depth.

Somebody put my mind at ease with some info please! :shock:

BYU CB Jordan Preator is transferring. Not sure if he has been in contact or we have contacted him but he is a great athlete. His brother Parker just signed with Weber so they may have the inside track on him.

grizfan1984 said:
BYU CB Jordan Preator is transferring. Not sure if he has been in contact or we have contacted him but he is a great athlete. His brother Parker just signed with Weber so they may have the inside track on him.
That's not helping put his mind at ease. Mine neither. We are one CB injury from a disaster.

Found pretty much the exact same thread over on maroonblood close to 1 hour before I posted here :lol: Panicked minds thing alike? Growler has a great point (stop the presses) about McKinley. Hope he can break out this year because he has really been a non factor for a heralded recruit we swiped from NDSU. Like I said earlier, in my professional opinion as an arm-chair coach and recruiter, I'd love to see him play safety, but we are pretty deep there now with the addition of Strong.

http://maroonblood.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1828

StumptownGriz said:
Nigel Bethel was a short lived, long-shot rumor, which led to some speculation about former Texas DB and current Scottsdale CC stud Chevoski Collins as our CB transfer to be announced this summer. No new information has come out since he started following multiple coaches on twitter and no other names have surfaced. I know that coaches have alluded to help being on the way to shore up the CB position but I'm getting a little nervous. JR Nelson is a projected 1st team all conference player, Markell Sanders is unproven as a starter but could really break out. After those two we fall off a cliff. Ryan McKinley has talent but has yet to flash it, and in my opinion should be playing Free Safety (hope he proves me wrong). Shane Moody is not a D1 CB, love his heart and hustle but he's just not going to help us at that position.
So that leaves us for now, with True Freshman Lewis Cowans and Josh Egbo (great athlete who's never played CB) as our incoming depth.

I am confident we get a BCS transfer. Wish I could tell who it is/will be. I feel Markell Sanders will be an all conference type performer, once he gets some experience under his belt. He is a terrific tackler for a CB as well. McKinley has all the tools, and he is at an age where those skills start to come to the forefront.

Speaking of great athletes who never played CB. Just to put your mind at ease, with a player that never played CB prior to being a GRIZ, 2 words.................................................................
TRUMAINE JOHNSON!!!!! :thumb:

mtgrizrule said:
StumptownGriz said:

I am confident we get a BCS transfer. Wish I could tell who it is/will be. I feel Markell Sanders will be an all conference type performer, once he gets some experience under his belt. He is a terrific tackler for a CB as well. McKinley has all the tools, and he is at an age where those skills start to come to the forefront.

Speaking of great athletes who never played CB. Just to put your mind at ease, with a player that never played CB prior to being a GRIZ, 2 words.................................................................
TRUMAINE JOHNSON!!!!! :thumb:

Ha good point. I love Egbo and I think he has the athletic potential to be a big-time DB for us after a solid red shirt year learning the position.

StumptownGriz said:
So that leaves us for now, with True Freshman Lewis Cowans and Josh Egbo (great athlete who's never played CB) as our incoming depth

Also true frosh... Hunter McKenzie and Sean Mautz, both are db's.

I think we got two real good CBs in last year's recruiting class with Lewis Cowans and either Egbo or Dareon Nash. Nash is being brought in as a WR, but he also has experience at corner....while Egbo doesn't. I'm not saying Egbo can't adapt to corner, but switching him to WR and Nash to corner wouldn't surprise me.

Either case, I think those guys are going to be big time players for us in the future.

granitegriz said:
Wasn't it McKinley who played so well against the Bobcats last year? I will have to re-watch that game.

I don't think he played much at corner most of the season. Some slot/nickel but not a ton.

BWahlberg said:
granitegriz said:
Wasn't it McKinley who played so well against the Bobcats last year? I will have to re-watch that game.

I don't think he played much at corner most of the season. Some slot/nickel but not a ton.

I remember McKinley playing ok against the Cats. He was on a lot of highlights putting his finger to his mouth to hush the cats/cat fans after a pass break up I think. That may have made him stand out a little more than his actual play. McKinley has A LOT to prove this year, especially if he's going to play a lot of CB.

So let me see if I understand this.....An FBS drop down CB that never played at that level is a better choice than what we have recruited already? Is this correct? Can the experts please explain this for me?

reinell30 said:
So let me see if I understand this.....An FBS drop down CB that never played at that level is a better choice than what we have recruited already? Is this correct? Can the experts please explain this for me?

I think you are getting way ahead of yourself. I believe the consensus concern is about a lack of depth at the Cornerback position and what is being done to fix it. Are you suggesting we are deep at that position and we shouldn't look for some experienced players to add to our current roster? I don't believe anyone claimed to be an expert in this thread. Obviously you feel you know enough to put down everyone for discussing this topic, so care to indulge us with some insight or are you just being a hater?

StumptownGriz said:
reinell30 said:

I think you are getting way ahead of yourself. I believe the consensus concern is about a lack of depth at the Cornerback position and what is being done to fix it. Are you suggesting we are deep at that position and we shouldn't look for some experienced players to add to our current roster? I don't believe anyone claimed to be an expert in this thread. Obviously you feel you know enough to put down everyone for discussing this topic, so care to indulge us with some insight or are you just being a hater?

I am not convinced that all drop downs are the answer. Some work out great. But I do believe that kids recruited from HS should be given their chance. Just because a player is a drop down that hasn't played doesn't make them automatically better. We do have several FR coming in that did play the position in HS, I just want them to have the same chance as a drop down. I have no problems with drop downs.
Also, I never said anyone was an expert...I simply asked for an expert to explain this.

StumptownGriz said:
reinell30 said:

Whoa there skippy, reinell wasn't putting anyone down just being a little sarcastic so don't go getting panties all waded up. His support for the GRIZ goes a long way and he brings good beer.

CB- Korey Alexander from Medanos Community College

Has recently retweeted many of the coaches tweets

5'11 195lbs | 4.5 40

[tweet]https://twitter.com/CoachBobStitt/status/712098875528470531[/tweet]

fanofzoo said:
StumptownGriz said:
reinell30 said:

Whoa there skippy, reinell wasn't putting anyone down just being a little sarcastic so don't go getting panties all waded up. His support for the GRIZ goes a long way and he brings good beer.

If your exsisting talent is "all that", you wouldn't need to consider a JC transfer or a drop down......That's recruiting 101.

Looks like a great run support corner. Very aggressive and intense. Not sure on his speed. Dosnt look that fast on video.

Back