• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Welcome to College Athletics

Yukon

Great article written by Chris Holder (Strength Coach) from Cal Poly:

http://breakingmuscle.com/advice-fo...e-athletics-a-letter-from-your-strength-coach

some good words:

"If you mess up, it’s simply because you are lazy. Don’t blame your coaches, your parents, your girlfriend/boyfriend, or your teammates. "

"Find a way to start liking the mornings, because you are going to get to know them very well. And no sniveling about it."

"Remember, you aren’t special. If you think you are tough, I’m sure there’s a junior or senior who would love to set you straight."

My favorite:

"I spent the last twenty years learning this stuff, perfecting my approach, and becoming an expert in my field. So, we will not have a discussion about programs, loads, or reasons we are doing it the way I have it set up. I don’t ask you about Kanye and Kim Kardashian, so don’t question my expertise on this."

Yukon said:
"I spent the last twenty years learning this stuff, perfecting my approach, and becoming an expert in my field. So, we will not have a discussion about programs, loads, or reasons we are doing it the way I have it set up. I don’t ask you about Kanye and Kim Kardashian, so don’t question my expertise on this."
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yukon said:
"Find a way to start liking the mornings, because you are going to get to know them very well. And no sniveling about it."
I used to like to get started at 6:30 a.m.. A few years ago, the U said "can't do before 7 a.m." Well, whatever. So, this Semester, as I am laying down the ground rules, "training begins at 7:00 a.m., missing is frowned upon, as in, I will kill you."

I get "the" question from one young man about the "rules." "What if 'something happens' and we are late?"

"What do you mean 'something happens?'"

"Well, just, uh, something happens and I'm late?"

"You mean "something happens" as in "you sleep in?"

"Yeah."

"I have your address."

"Oh."

Yukon said:
Great article written by Chris Holder (Strength Coach) from Cal Poly:

http://breakingmuscle.com/advice-fo...e-athletics-a-letter-from-your-strength-coach

some good words:

"If you mess up, it’s simply because you are lazy. Don’t blame your coaches, your parents, your girlfriend/boyfriend, or your teammates. "

"Remember, you aren’t special. If you think you are tough, I’m sure there’s a junior or senior who would love to set you straight."

My favorite:

LOL. Written for the ESPN Top 150? I don't think so.....

One of the best articles I've ever read. Many students in high school should see this before they skip off to college.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AZGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Right on! And second place is a set of steak knives!

:x

And third place is....Your'e fired!

Yeah! Everybody knows that all successful collegiate coaches make the kids adapt to them rather than finding ways to relate to each new generation. It's the reason Bobby Knight still has a coaching job and why Woody Hayes went out on his own terms. If this article was written by my future coach, I wouldn't be able to wait to get in there and get yelled at! Yelling and insults, the true motivators. Now, if you'll excuse me, the lady and I are going to take the Continental down to the store to shop for a new davenport.

CDAGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Yeah! Everybody knows that all successful collegiate coaches make the kids adapt to them rather than finding ways to relate to each new generation. It's the reason Bobby Knight still has a coaching job and why Woody Hayes went out on his own terms. If this article was written by my future coach, I wouldn't be able to wait to get in there and get yelled at! Yelling and insults, the true motivators. Now, if you'll excuse me, the lady and I are going to take the Continental down to the store to shop for a new davenport.

Excellent! Vince Lombardi mentality is an anachronism with these new self motivating kids.

CDAGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:

So is there a middle ground? I guess you left that part out...

Love the sarcasm tho! Seriously, how many Millennials got the "Continental" reference right off the bat? Funny isht :lol:

CFallsGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:

So is there a middle ground? I guess you left that part out...

Love the sarcasm tho! Seriously, how many Millennials got the "Continental" reference right off the bat? Funny isht :lol:

Of course there's a middle ground. Just messin'.

CDAGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Put. The Coffee. Down.

CDAGRIZ said:
Yeah! Everybody knows that all successful collegiate coaches make the kids adapt to them rather than finding ways to relate to each new generation.
There have been a plethora of formal studies over the past two decades on the impact of coaching behaviors on sport success.

One useful study is here: https://etd.ohiolink.edu/rws_etd/document/get/miami1091747956/inline

Back