• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Players on defense to watch this Saturday

BWahlberg

DONOR
Tomorrow is the final chance to see the Griz until August! Make sure to bring rain gear as a heavy storm is predicted to roll in about 1/2 way through! Earlier this week I had the offense write-up done, now wanted to give you a few guys to look out for on defense. Just like on offense this is more to point out new players to keep an eye on. We all know of a few dudes like Kidder, Johnson, Schye, Nelson, and Sanders, but here's a few new guys to watch:

#13 Josh Sandry Sandry in the last scrimmage had taken over the starting role opposite Yamen Sanders in the defensive backfield. A wickedly hard hitter and a very fast player. Like any RS Frosh he has his lapses in coverage but overall he's making a case for a jersey number change this time next year. In the second scrimmage he dealt out two brutal tackles in run support and didn't have a long pass allowed on his side of the field (I don't think).

#93 Zach Peevey I think many of us know Peevey, a senior DT, but what I hope he continues to show is his strength and continued athleticism considering his position. Peevey had a fumble recovery TD that the refs stopped in the 2nd scrimmage. He seems to be the constant at DT while others rotate next to him.

#91 Brandt Davidson Davidson is our big DT transfer and he's making his move for a starting spot. In the 1st scrimmage he was mostly in a backup role, come the 2nd scrimmage he was with the 1s on the 1st rotation and would switch in and out with Bradley. Davidson had a sack in the first scrimmage and in the 2nd scrimmage a very impressive TFL where he pretty much tackled both the running back and the guard blocking. He's our big-body guy in the middle that will absorb double teams and allow Kidder, Peevey, and Johnson to get 1 on 1 attempts at the QB.

#40 Vika Fa'atuiese Vika has moved up to be the #1 middle linebacker with Strahm sitting out of contract drills this fall. I have a feeling the coaches are going to do all they can to get Vika on the field a lot this season too. Vika seems to have a great ability to put pressure on the QB and attacks the A-gap very quickly on running plays. He's also surprised me with how quick he is too. A very intense player (it seems) - he's a fun one to watch

#42 Josh Buss Buss, a special teams stand out from last year has transitioned well to OLB. If there's a run or pass on the edge, expect #42 to be there. A lighter LB he's fast to the ball carrier and good in pass coverage. Buss is our next version of Herbert Gamboa on the field (IMO).

#59 Cy Sirmon Sirmon seemed to be all over the field in the 2nd scrimmage. Playing with both the 1s and 2s he in another one of our younger LB's thats making the most of his time. He's looking like a lock for the 2-deep and for special teams. Seeing guys like Cirmon (as well as Olson, Smith, and Cochran) make me comfortable with our depth. These guys are young and a little inexperienced but they're very talented players.

#49 Jesse Sims Sims had a sack in the 2nd scrimmage and showed a big leap in his pass-rushing effectiveness from the 1st to 2nd scrimmage. If he can carry that over he's going to start making an interesting case for the 2-deep. Right now DE is locked in at Kidder, Johnson, and Schye with Bedell and Sims vying for the final spot. Both have had their moments and a final good showing at the spring game will set the pace for the summer and pre-fall camp.

Peevey was nagged all last year with high ankle sprain. He's a great kid who gives his all. Hoping he stays healthier for his senior year.

The NAU spring game is on the AZ Fox affiliate this year. According to the post, the only FCS Spring game televised. Not sure why Bob wouldn't want the opportunity to spread the gospel, via the airwaves if Root/UM had the good sense to make it available. By now there isn't much opponents don't already know, and the exposure would only help in building the program.

bgbigdog said:
The NAU spring game is on the AZ Fox affiliate this year. According to the post, the only FCS Spring game televised. Not sure why Bob wouldn't want the opportunity to spread the gospel, via the airwaves if Root/UM had the good sense to make it available. By now there isn't much opponents don't already know, and the exposure would only help in building the program.

Giving opponents a full video of your offense and defense... I know most FCS coaches at least aren't a big fan of that.

Were Stitt any other coach, besides Jerome, I might understand. There are already 13 full games of film out there if an opposing coach needed it. In addition, and per coach himself - he teaches the offense to anyone who will listen @ coaching conferences and university visits. You're not going to see much more than what 14 prior practices & some of last years experience will allow.

My point was selling the program, ambiance & mystique. Attract alums monies, recruits & parents while extolling the virtues of all that is UM. Yeah, I was a marketing paid pro @ one time. I have to believe if they are serious about growing enrollment, creating positive views and blowing out the jams, that they have to use every opportunity to do so.

bgbigdog said:
Were Stitt any other coach, besides Jerome, I might understand. There are already 13 full games of film out there if an opposing coach needed it. In addition, and per coach himself - he teaches the offense to anyone who will listen @ coaching conferences and university visits. You're not going to see much more than what 14 prior practices & some of last years experience will allow.

My point was selling the program, ambiance & mystique. Attract alums monies, recruits & parents while extolling the virtues of all that is UM. Yeah, I was a marketing paid pro @ one time. I have to believe if they are serious about growing enrollment, creating positive views and blowing out the jams, that they have to use every opportunity to do so.

After watching the tape of the NDSU playoff game their ain't much "mystique" left to sell, is there? :mrgreen:

bgbigdog said:

I would hope if UM had the chance to have their spring game on ROOT for example, they would pounce at the opportunity.

You don't ever hear FBS programs who have their spring games on ESPN, ESPNU, or the B1G Network complain about other coaches getting a peak at their team. You still have to line up and stop it... Gotta promote your program in every way possible.

After watching the tape of the NDSU playoff game their ain't much "mystique" left to sell, is there? :mrgreen:[/quote]

The cats were smart to avoid the playoffs again - keeps their mystique intact and all. Keep up the good work kitties!

Teton Cat said:
bgbigdog said:

After watching the tape of the NDSU playoff game their ain't much "mystique" left to sell, is there? :mrgreen:

Buckets more than Jen Cholte has to offer. Man, I'm even almost sad for you guys. Earle Solomonson II. Or, who was the coach when you didn't win a single game?

griz5700 said:
DT is my biggest concern. Will be watching Davidson and McKee-Osibodu closely.

Good call. Would love to see Osibodu make a splash. His tape shows a great interior pass rush, quick and explosive to the ball. I think Davidson is the real deal as a big physical run stuffing DT who will eat up blockers and let our LBs fill lanes.

CB's after the top three. Love Moody's heart and aditude but not sure he can play at our level. Easily the least amount of depth. Parker must have just been a mess to let him go that way.

firmgriz said:

The cats were smart to avoid the playoffs again - keeps their mystique intact and all. Keep up the good work kitties![/quote]
Hahaha!! Great work there!

StumptownGriz said:
griz5700 said:
DT is my biggest concern. Will be watching Davidson and McKee-Osibodu closely.

Good call. Would love to see Osibodu make a splash. His tape shows a great interior pass rush, quick and explosive to the ball. I think Davidson is the real deal as a big physical run stuffing DT who will eat up blockers and let our LBs fill lanes.

It'd be nice to get a Takai type effort out of one these two. Probably one of the main objectives of the D this season....

Back