• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Coach Klieman gets $300K base salary

BornGrizz

http://www.inforum.com/sports/4015655-pdf-dive-incentives-chris-kliemans-new-ndsu-contract

"Klieman will earn a base salary of $300,000 for the upcoming season with an additional $90,000 in personal appearance and media appearance fees. If he reaches performance bonuses, including winning an FCS national championship, he would earn more than $450,000."

This is on top of NDSU's decision to pay players the living stipend. Article says Klieman is only the second highest paid coach in the MVC. It ain't oil money either, ND is having trouble paying the bills these days. Cray Cray.

BornGrizz said:
http://www.inforum.com/sports/4015655-pdf-dive-incentives-chris-kliemans-new-ndsu-contract

"Klieman will earn a base salary of $300,000 for the upcoming season with an additional $90,000 in personal appearance and media appearance fees. If he reaches performance bonuses, including winning an FCS national championship, he would earn more than $450,000."

This is on top of NDSU's decision to pay players the living stipend. Article says Klieman is only the second highest paid coach in the MVC. It ain't oil money either, ND is having trouble paying the bills these days. Cray Cray.

Good for him! I hope he gets double!

Dude took over an insanely well-oiled machine. First year I think a high school coach could have won the NC, this second one was impressive with the challenges they had.

North Dakota State has slightly lower revenues than the Montana football program and a slightly higher state subsidy. ($22,379,177 vs. $22,316,980, 35.6% vs. 36.1%). By just a bit, financially, Montana is the dominant program.

It's time to pay the coaches more, if Montana is to attract, and keep, top notch coaches.

UMGriz75 said:
North Dakota State has slightly lower revenues than the Montana football program and a slightly higher state subsidy. ($22,379,177 vs. $22,316,980, 35.6% vs. 36.1%). By just a bit, financially, Montana is the dominant program.

It's time to pay the coaches more, if Montana is to attract, and keep, top notch coaches.
Absolutely. If you get a coach that generates results and gets the program moving in the right direction, pay him and the staff. If we get a decent playoff run this year we had better get everyone a substantial raise and solidify some long term contracts.

Montana can up it's salary and it won't make one damn bit of a difference attracting and retaining coaches. #1. They have not had a problem attracting top talent (they may not have hired it in the opinion of some people, but they have had good candidates). #2. You are not going to keep a coach for 450k or even 500k if the big dogs come calling with their checkbooks. Montana is a stepping stone school for FBS. So is NDSU. The greatest thing working in favor of retention right now is past failed performances by Montana head coaches or even NDSU former head coaches. (Hint - Wyoming). Moving up has not exactly proven to be successful. I love the Griz and the program. I am also a realist who understands we live In a state with a population of roughly 1 million people. We are damn lucky to have such a great program to root for!!

Copper Griz said:
Montana can up it's salary and it won't make one damn bit of a difference attracting and retaining coaches. #1. They have not had a problem attracting top talent (they may not have hired it in the opinion of some people, but they have had good candidates). #2. You are not going to keep a coach for 450k or even 500k if the big dogs come calling with their checkbooks. Montana is a stepping stone school for FBS. So is NDSU. The greatest thing working in favor of retention right now is past failed performances by Montana head coaches or even NDSU former head coaches. (Hint - Wyoming). Moving up has not exactly proven to be successful. I love the Griz and the program. I am also a realist who understands we live In a state with a population of roughly 1 million people. We are damn lucky to have such a great program to root for!!

...think small, be small, stay small...

Silvertip said:
Copper Griz said:

...think small, be small, stay small...

Yes, because thinking big has worked out so well for other schools :lol:

An important part of the contract:

5.0 Assistant Coaches' Budget.
The yearly budget for Coach's assistants' salaries (not including graduate assistants) shall be in the top 10% for FCS Football Programs.
This has been part of NDSU FB HC contracts since Bohl's last or second to last contract. I think NDSU was in the top 10% before that, but these contracts lock it in. A good head coach can only do so much. You also need to have good assistants to be successful. Remember, NDSU got Klieman from UNI in part because NDSU paid their D-backs coach more than UNI paid their D-coordinator.

Hammersmith said:
An important part of the contract:
5.0 Assistant Coaches' Budget.
The yearly budget for Coach's assistants' salaries (not including graduate assistants) shall be in the top 10% for FCS Football Programs.
This has been part of NDSU FB HC contracts since Bohl's last or second to last contract. I think NDSU was in the top 10% before that, but these contracts lock it in. A good head coach can only do so much. You also need to have good assistants to be successful. Remember, NDSU got Klieman from UNI in part because NDSU paid their D-backs coach more than UNI paid their D-coordinator.
A few years ago when I first looked at UM's salary structure, I was just appalled at how little the assistant coaches were paid. That was mediated to a large extent by payouts from the "Camps" but it still seemed more like an incentive to move up and out than to specialize and produce continuing excellence.

UMGriz75 said:

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
UMGriz75 said:

#Idiot
Would you pay them less, or, Goldilocks, is it "just right?"

Montana is not nor have they ever been a more dominant program than NDSU.....EVER..........it's not even worth debate

There isn't a football coach in the world worth more than $150k. It's fine if the pros want to be fleeced by these con artists but colleges unless private should not spend taxpayer money on football coaches.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Montana is not nor have they ever been a more dominant program than NDSU.....EVER..........it's not even worth debate
I know, I specifically put it in the context of revenues, and that subtlety is not your strong point. I needed to be more explicit when I pointed to revenues, and instead, I should have made it "more clearer" that I was pointing to revenues, even while making the point that it was a small difference.

It should have been "dumbed down" to meet your needs.

Maybe if you post 127,000 more words even us low life's can understand what you were getting at?

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
Maybe if you post 127,000 more words even us low life's can understand what you were getting at?

I doubt that any number of words, such as the single one --"revenues" -- will illuminate a comment about "revenues" for you when you are tapping away on your SM-G900v using Tapatalk at your local jail on a Saturday night.

But, for the record, I think UM coaches, for this kind of program, deserve higher pay. As I have noted, we have invested in the facilities, now we need to invest in the people.

I'm drinking whiskey in my rental car (and texting) driving to a bar in Austin, TX........carry on

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
I'm drinking whiskey in my rental car (and texting) driving to a bar in Austin, TX........carry on

I knew it, and then altered my text to be more delicate about your "situation."

Back