• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Regionalized Playoffs hopefully gone

FCS is all a out squeezing a nickel until the Buffalo dumps. They'll regionalize again to save a few bucks.

I'm thinkin that makes more sense by a long shot. Would sure as hell make the playoffs fairer, and more interesting. IMO

Last year's playoff objectives seemed to be:

1) Give ndsu an impossible road so a new champion can be crowned. Who were the 4 teams bison fans least would want to meet in the playoffs? SDSU, Montana, UNI, IL St. All 4 were moved right into nsdu's path.
2) Make sure the Mvfc did not have 2 teams in the championship. Check
3) setup some other conference and regional games to cover up the bias created in objectives 1 & 2.

I sure hope they create a fair national championship, but I'll believe it when I see it. It's just as easy to manipulate seeds to create your own objectives, so I'm not sold that things will change. Imo, there needs to be a poll formula used for seeding, or the committee will do what they want and we'll have the same thing.

Herd said:

1) Give ndsu an impossible road so a new champion can be crowned. Who were the 4 teams bison fans least would want to meet in the playoffs? SDSU, Montana, UNI, IL St. All 4 were moved right into nsdu's path.
3) setup some other conference and regional games to cover up the bias created in objectives 1 & 2.

I sure hope they create a fair national championship, but I'll believe it when I see it. It's just as easy to manipulate seeds to create your own objectives, so I'm not sold that things will change. Imo, there needs to be a poll formula used for seeding, or the committee will do what they want and we'll have the same thing.

It's good to be feared.

Maybe it's just me but I feel that no one conference should be represented in a championship game, just makes it potentially a glorified regular-season matchup and doesn't really help the picture of FCS football as a whole.

Herd said:

So, say, something like a BCS formula? :lol: :lol: :lol:

UTGrizFan said:
Maybe it's just me but I feel that no one conference should be represented in a championship game, just makes it potentially a glorified regular-season matchup and doesn't really help the picture of FCS football as a whole.
I'd prefer it work out that way, but not be set up that way. The teams should be seeded from 1-24 and matched up based on that. If the two finalists happen to be from the same conference, so be it.

getgrizzy said:
UTGrizFan said:
I'd prefer it work out that way, but not be set up that way. The teams should be seeded from 1-24 and matched up based on that. If the two finalists happen to be from the same conference, so be it.

So essentially just change the teams ranked 9-24 right? Because 1-8 are seeded already....I could buy that.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
getgrizzy said:
UTGrizFan said:

So essentially just change the teams ranked 9-24 right? Because 1-8 are seeded already....I could buy that.

It's going to be tough pill to swallow if the objective seeding winds up sending an EWU or Montana team to/from Costal Carolina in the round of 9-24. Hell, that's still a lot to ask in the round of 16 thereafter. The cash outlay will be substantial if they just follow the seeding alone.

They will just do the same thing, and adjust the "seeding" to make it look legitimate. Lipstick on a pig.

The other issue is if a team like Montana ends up a 20 seed (assume a really bad season) and a school like Wofford ends up a 13 seed. Then a team that could attract a crowd of 24k travels all the way across the country to play in front of 7k people. That results in a pretty big difference in revenue and expense. If that happens too often the FCS budget is in trouble.

How many times has MT played MT State in the playoffs in the early rounds during the regionalization days? Seems like every time I sat down to a SDSU/NDSU playoff game, you guys were in different brackets. I don't remember you even playing in recent memory.

Herd said:
How many times has MT played MT State in the playoffs in the early rounds during the regionalization days? Seems like every time I sat down to a SDSU/NDSU playoff game, you guys were in different brackets. I don't remember you even playing in recent memory.

For all their pounding of chests... msu has really not been in the playoffs that often.

violin said:
The other issue is if a team like Montana ends up a 20 seed (assume a really bad season) and a school like Wofford ends up a 13 seed. Then a team that could attract a crowd of 24k travels all the way across the country to play in front of 7k people. That results in a pretty big difference in revenue and expense. If that happens too often the FCS budget is in trouble.

7k would be a big playoff crowd for Wofford

I just used their attendance at a late game last year. The point is still valid. They used regionalization and bidding to help reduce costs and maximize revenues.

Herd said:

I don't think we've ever played.....that would be Armageddon....

people would die in the streets, and after we beat the Cats for the 2nd time that year....suicide rates in Bozeman would go through the roof.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Herd said:

I don't think we've ever played.....that would be Armageddon....

people would die in the streets, and after we beat the Cats for the 2nd time that year....suicide rates in Bozeman would go through the roof.

It damn near happened in 2011. State was ranked #1 heading into the Brawl and we absolutely stomped them in Bozeman 36-10. Had State been able to beat Sam Houston State in the quarterfinals, it would have set up a semifinal Brawl of the Wild 2.0 in Missoula. If that would have happened, State would have never recovered from the beatdown they would have received from the Griz.

Herd said:

Technically MSU hasn't held up their end of the bargain and have exited the playoffs early or you would have seen more rivalry matchups with the Big Sky in the playoffs.

MSU should have played EWU in 2010 but MSU lost to NDSU
MSU could have played UM in 2011 but MSU lost to Sam Houston
MSU should have played EWU in 2012 but lost to Sam Houston

EWU and UM did play in 2014

Back