• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

BW's post-spring depth chart & position battles

BWahlberg

DONOR
Observational depth chart right here, going off what we all saw from the scrimmages and with player progressions. Going with just 2-deep for the most part here.

QB Brady Gustafson / Chad Chalich OR Reese Phillips
RB John Nguyen OR Jeremy Calhoun / Tre Favors
WR - X Keenan Curran / Lane Hovey
WR - Y James Homan / Kobey Eaton
WR - Z Caleb Lyons OR Jerry Louie McGee / Mitch McLaughlin
WR - H Josh Horner / Mike Ralston OR Colin Bingham
LT David Reese / Collin McGillivray
LG McCauley Todd / Max Kelly OR Robert Luke
C Ben Weyer / Robert Luke
RG Devon Dietrich / Angel Villanueva
RT Jackson Thiebes / Dallas Hart

DE Caleb Kidder / Jesse Sims
DT Brandt Davidson / Nate Bradley
DT Zach Peevey / Myles McKee-Osibodu
DE Ryan Johnson / Tucker Schye
OLB James Banks / Dante Olson
MLB Connor Strahm / Vika Fa'atuiese
OLB Josh Buss / Cy Sirmon
CB JR Nelson / Ryan McKinley
CB Markell Sanders / Shane Moody
FS Josh Sandry / Mick Delaney
SS Yamen Sanders / Evan Epperly

KR/PR Caleb Lyons OR Jerry Louie McGee
K Harrison Greenberg OR Tim Semenza
P Eric Williams / Patrick LeCorre

----------------------------
Position Battles & Roster decisions headed into fall camp

1. The backup QB battle is on. Phillips showed dramatic improvement through the scrimmages while Chalich came in showing much more comfort and knowledge in the offense right out the gate. Phillips showed tremendous upside, especially in the 3rd scrimmage.

2. What to do with Robert Luke? Luke has played pretty well this spring but all assume that senior and leader of the O-line, Ben Weyer will retain his role as the starting center this fall. There's talk that Luke will get a look to challenge McCauley Todd at guard, but Todd has also had himself a pretty good spring. It's nice to have 4 quality interior linemen in Todd, Dietrich, Weyer, and Luke - but unfortunately one of the four is going to find himself backing up.

3. How will the team utilize all of their running backs? Tre Favors had the best camp I've seen from him since he's been a Griz. Senior John Nguyen is the presumed starter and we all know Stitt rotates guys a ton. Calhoun has improved pass blocking and looks like he's turning into a complete back. And then where does senior Joey Counts land?

4. How will Lane Hovey fit in with the WR corps and who will rise to the top? James Homan made the most of this spring, he's making a big case to be the starter. Eaton made big plays but had a quiet 3rd scrimmage. Seems to me that if Hovey can make a splash the outside WRs will mostly be Curran, Homan, Eaton, and Hovey.

5. JLM and Lyons maybe had the best camp of all the WRs. And they're vying for the same job! There's going to be plenty of options to go around but these two seem attached in all depth battles. KR, PR, and WR-Z.

6. Will the LB corps depth stay the same? While the 6 I have listed seemed to be the standouts from this spring Smith, Thomas, and Cochran were making plays too. A position going into the spring that seemed like an unknown is suddenly showing to have good (but inexperienced) talent. In addition to the presumed starters I really like what I saw from Sirmon and Fa'atuiese this spring.

7. Will any depth be added to the secondary? Cornerback seems thin, Jerrin Williams was rolled out to play some corner but it didn't go the best. Starters Nelson and Sanders are good, beyond them it's very thin, McKinley makes some plays but lacks consistency. Moody's a scrappy dude and a hard player but has been picked on a bit this spring.

8. Will Josh Sandry keep his starting spot? One of the fastest risers this spring Sandry will have Justin Strong also in camp this summer and fall. Sandry made a pretty damn good case that he should start this spring. We'll see!

9. Who's going to kick the ball? Punting and kicking wasn't good this spring. Loyola's Eric Williams seemed to have the best leg punting the ball. Kicking was all over the place, I presumed senior Harrison Greenberg was leading the group but then Tim Semenza got all the fieldgoal attempts yesterday for the 1st team offense, and promptly went 0-2 and missed a PAT.

10. How to get Tucker Schye on the field? Obviously he's not going to take Kidder's job from him and Johnson had a good spring too, so I'm not seeing that there. Schye lead the defense in sacks this spring with I think 8 or 9 total. He'll presumably be a situational sub that's used a bunch.

----------
It was a fun spring camp, I really like the confidence this group has the support they give each other. We have a team that could develop into one of the best we've seen in 5+ years. There's a long ways to go and some questions/concerns that need to be addressed - but overall this was a very productive spring and I can't wait to see the guys back out there in pre-fall camp!

Go Griz!

As always, thanks for taking the time. I didn't see a live down but based on first, second & third-hand accounts, sound bytes and vid snipets from here & there, I'm more optimistic that things are going to be good then last year @ this time.

That said, does not sound like the PK is on the roster as yet. It will be interesting to see how many kids join this summer, hopefully a CB or two. JLM looks like the real deal, & with any luck there might be a return game reminiscent of past glory in there somewhere. I'm hopeful we have 6-8 consistently in-position linebackers this year rather than two who felt they had to cover the 100 themselves. Safety looks like a strength again and no star DE forces Semore to find ways to manufacture pressure which I think can be just as effective. Hopefully everyone continues to get strong & stays healthy. Go Griz.

If the RS Frosh Sandry starts over the Pac-12 player Justin Strong for any reason other than injury, he just might be the 2nd coming of Colt Anderson....

CV Griz Fan said:
If the RS Frosh Sandry starts over the Pac-12 player Justin Strong for any reason other than injury, he just might be the 2nd coming of Colt Anderson....

37 to be...

Don't know about everyone else, but add Strong to that 2-deep and ONE MORE CB, and I really, really, REALLY like the looks of this team.

Gonna do some serious damage.

AZGrizFan said:
Don't know about everyone else, but add Strong to that 2-deep and ONE MORE CB, and I really, really, REALLY like the looks of this team.

Agreed, need K / P figured out too and need to see one backup tackle come along, either on the current roster or with the new freshman class.

A very good bunch of players everywhere. One thing I always love about having two or three very good players at one position is that injurys and other things enter into the overall season. Having tons of good players will give the "ones" a breather during games and I think that is a very ideal situation. Many seasons in the past we have had to hold our breath hoping one of our stars would not go down because his replacement was way below par.
The many WRs will be needed over the course of the season for the same reason.
We are so far ahead of last season with the players AND coaches I think we can make some noise in the Big Sky this year and in fact my two bits indicates we should win the thing. After that? Who knows.

I think this team has potential but my biggest worry is at QB. Gustafson is way too inconsistent and Phillips is too green yet.

Great write up BW. I am surprised to not see Jerrin Williams listed on the depth chart. I feel he is as good of a safety as the ones named. That is one hell of a great sign, when a player as good as Williams is at safety is not in the top 2 depth chart. Jerrin is a playmaker. I feel the GRIZ need to find a way to get him into the rotation. Will the staff focus on improving his play at CB, due to the lack of depth at CB, and the extreme depth at Safety? Do you see him fitting into the rotation this season? What to others think of Williams? I absolutely love his playmaking ability.

Jerrin Williams will be playing this season but I'm not sure at what position and that will be a fun thing for our coaches to figure out. At corner he will be learning on the job but he has a good eye for the ball and that fact will make it hard to keep him out of the game.

AZGrizFan said:
Someone please tell me why Delaney would be listed over Williams. Anyone? Anyone?

Delaney had a much better spring overall and Williams was moved to play corner. Not sure why some people think it's impossible Delaney could be a serviceable player...

BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:
Someone please tell me why Delaney would be listed over Williams. Anyone? Anyone?

Delaney had a much better spring overall and Williams was moved to play corner. Not sure why some people think it's impossible Delaney could be a serviceable player...

I think it is more of people liking the potential upside of other players, with a much higher ceiling than Delaney. That is not a knock on Delaney. He has already done better than many fans expected him to do. You said it already, many see Delaney's ceiling as a serviceable player. Meanwhile there are others with potential beyond "serviceable". For what it is worth, I'd love to see Delaney prove be more than serviceable. Can he do it though?

mtgrizrule said:
BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:

I think it is more of people liking the potential upside of other players, with a much higher ceiling than Delaney. That is not a knock on Delaney. He has already done better than many fans expected him to do. You said it already, many see Delaney's ceiling as a serviceable player. Meanwhile there are others with potential beyond "serviceable". For what it is worth, I'd love to see Delaney prove be more than serviceable. Can he do it though?

My sentiments exactly. Perfectly stated.

AZGrizFan said:
mtgrizrule said:
BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:

My sentiments exactly. Perfectly stated.

OK - the argument makes sense but I think it boils down to the best guys right now are going to be the ones who play. At safety, for the time being, that's Delaney over Williams. That's not to say it could change. And for the most part it seems both will mostly need to be at their best as special teams players - which I have great confidence in both to do so.

BWahlberg said:
... OK - the argument makes sense but I think it boils down to the best guys right now are going to be the ones who play. At safety, for the time being, that's Delaney over Williams. That's not to say it could change. And for the most part it seems both will mostly need to be at their best as special teams players - which I have great confidence in both to do so.
Good stuff.

So ... can either of them kick? :? :)

BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:

Agreed, need K / P figured out too and need to see one backup tackle come along, either on the current roster or with the new freshman class.
Biggest need to fill still, another corner. Love Moody's heart but a generous 5'8" height w/out lights out speed won't cut it. With 7 K/P's on the roster, 1-2 has to be made serviceable or else we'll see a lot more of the Griz going for it on 4th down. Theibes in the starting line up still amazes me a little, and that's more on me then him. From not making any Allstate teams at Glacier, to playing TE at Lewis and Clark, to becoming a three year starter at T for Montana? That's quite a jump. Has Kelly or Todd ever been tried at T to let Luke play G? I guess if Theibes continues to get it done then he's got to be doing something right.

Gus's slight throwing inconsistencies worry me a bit but he didn't force bad throws.

Our RB depth is unreal.

Stitt talked about using 10 receivers but last year we really only had about 5 that seen a lot of throws come their way. That'll change from now on.

No worries in the defensive front seven. Plenty of playmakers there.

I wonder if Jerrin will be our primary nickle and how much time he'll see at either of the corner positions. The safety depth is great too but I'd expect Strong ahead of Sandry just based on PT expierience. Sandry will see the field though and when he gains that expierience, the rest of the Big Sky had better take note.

Back