• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

PASS PUNT or KICK ?

Umista

DONOR
One big problem about punting and kicking is the coaching. Coaching the passing portion of football is easy because every coach has been involved with the "pass". Most special team coaches have never punted or kicked and gained their knowledge by reading various coaching journals.

PUNTING: A typical GOOD college punt travels high/straight down the field 40 to 45 yards into the waiting arms of the returner giving him ample time to determine a fair catch or run. This is standard punt coaching and wishing. The other style I like is directional kicking that travels less distance in the air but makes the returner run toward the sideline keeping his eye on the ball and not allowing a return because once the ball hits the turf it jumps like crazy making it risky to trap or catch. The punt may only travel 35 yards in the air but makes up for it net yardage wise because it is rarely returned and the ball rolls and bounces along or goes out of bounds. These punters usually roll out and kick soccer style. These punters are much easier to find and train as soccer kicking is common. Kicks are made from the inside of the foot rather than the typical out side punter style. Very easy to control the direction/accuracy of the roll-out punt.
Travis Lulay the cat's QB used that style and the punter from Idaho State killed us with it as we let the ball bounce along 50 plus yards. A right footed punter usually rolls to his right etc. Kramer is one of the few coaches that has this style figured out.

Kicking is a three headed animal. The snapper, the holder and the kicker. The kicker always gets the blame but just as often the snapper or holder screw up causing the kick to go off into lah lah land. Kickers and his other two guys need to practice for months to get it right. Throw in a new snapper or holder and we are off just enough to scare us into going for it on 4th down rather than take a chance. Kickers are needed that can nail it from 30 yards in but have enough leg for a 40+ yard try. Extra points? Go for two! By next fall we should have a fair kicker but I don't see a good one yet. More on this later.

Agree on most. I always liked the roll out soccer kick. If you roll out you have that option to run, kick it and you get that crazy bounce and higher chance for turn over. Would love for someone to do a little study on that, actual yards on kick and turn overs off that.

McKight did well on that.

reinell30 said:
Where is Cathy Ireland when you need her?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I read that three times before I got it.

Kathy-Ireland-Necessary-Roughness.jpg

....and for the record, I've "needed" Kathy Ireland for about 40 years. :cool: :cool: :cool:

AZGrizFan said:
reinell30 said:

....and for the record, I've "needed" Kathy Ireland for about 40 years. :cool: :cool: :cool:

God love ya! Even my government computer let this picture open!

fanofzoo said:
Agree on most. I always liked the roll out soccer kick. If you roll out you have that option to run, kick it and you get that crazy bounce and higher chance for turn over. Would love for someone to do a little study on that, actual yards on kick and turn overs off that.

McKight did well on that.

Lol, I remember doing the old roll out punt in high school, I was the punter our senior year and the punts always ended in 1-3 ways....

1. I kept the ball and ran it for 15-20 yards.
2. The would be punt returner would try fielding wobbling, bouncing ball and mishandle it.
3. I would end up kicking a rocket off the ass or back of the outside blocker that gets jammed back into the backfield for a very negative play. ( This outcome happened much much more than youd think) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to agree, we haven't had a roll out punter in recent memory. I absolutely hate it, but it's hard to argue with results. The only time I can think of it didn't go real well was when our up back caught it unexpectedly on the fly in the cat game this year. The more odd bounces and rolls, the more likely a misplay will happen and we have an opportunity for a turnover.

dupuyer griz said:
I have to agree, we haven't had a roll out punter in recent memory. I absolutely hate it, but it's hard to argue with results. The only time I can think of it didn't go real well was when our up back caught it unexpectedly on the fly in the cat game this year. The more odd bounces and rolls, the more likely a misplay will happen and we have an opportunity for a turnover.

Didn't McKnight use a roll out kick when he had to take over punting duties a few years back? I remember it not being the prettiest, but it seems to work well. Not sure if he used that technique simply for the results or to prevent injury since he was the only punter/kicker on the roster.

GRIZFAN20 said:
dupuyer griz said:

Didn't McKnight use a roll out kick when he had to take over punting duties a few years back? I remember it not being the prettiest, but it seems to work well. Not sure if he used that technique simply for the results or to prevent injury since he was the only punter/kicker on the roster.

Yes. McKnight was almost exclusively a roll out punter. And it went well the vast majority of the time.

reinell30 said:
AZGrizFan said:
reinell30 said:

So that's where my tax dollars are going...

AZGrizFan said:
GRIZFAN20 said:
dupuyer griz said:

Yes. McKnight was almost exclusively a roll out punter. And it went well the vast majority of the time.

Yep McKnight perfected this roll out low, pooch punt style. It worked wonders I swear amost every time. It would travel about 25 yards in the air and then roll another 25-35. He also could place it where he wanted. Super ugly but super effective. I swear we started that season with a different punter though who wasn't getting it done or got hurt and McKnight came in with this style and it was a blessing in disguise.

G-BEARS said:
reinell30 said:
AZGrizFan said:
reinell30 said:

So that's where my tax dollars are going...

You Sir, are correct!

McKnight did it in the cat Griz game in Bozeman. I believe Tru got the safety on the next play.

BENEFITS OF THE RUGBY PUNT
Here is a recap of the benefits of running the rugby punt:

Punt team is no longer boring and kids get excited about being on a momentum changing team.
Stresses the defense. Traditional punt teams snap and pray there isn't a block or big return. Rugby teams put the pressure on the return team.
It forces the opponent to get out of their comfort zone and prepare for something different.
Provides an opportunity for a fake punt every time.
Giving up a big punt return is a huge momentum loss. You can cut down on the amount of space available for the return team by punting and covering into the boundary.
If you no huddle the punt you can add more stress to the defense and call out a specific fake if the defense is misaligned.

The roll-out rugby style punt also plays into Stitt's going for it on 4th down. It gives a reasonable opportunity to decide if there is a chance to gain a first down. If you fail it is no worse than all of the times going for it on 4th failed last year.

When I saw the title, "PASS PUNT or KICK ?", I thought it was going to be about the NFL's version of the youth Punt, Pass and Kick competition. Funny story, 10 years ago or so, my nephew here in Butte won Montana and got to advance to the regional competition at a Seahawks game, he was the #1 ranked kid in the Northwest in his age group. In Seattle he threw a good pass and kick, and but badly sliced his punt. So he didn't advance to the national comp. I was there, and asked him what happened. Especially because he had a huge grin on his face. He said he was watching the cheerleaders, hence the shank. All I could do was smile back and say, "Thatta boy."

IntuitiveGriz said:
When I saw the title, "PASS PUNT or KICK ?", I thought it was going to be about the NFL's version of the youth Punt, Pass and Kick competition. Funny story, 10 years ago or so, my nephew here in Butte won Montana and got to advance to the regional competition at a Seahawks game, he was the #1 ranked kid in the Northwest in his age group. In Seattle he threw a good pass and kick, and but badly sliced his punt. So he didn't advance to the national comp. I was there, and asked him what happened. Especially because he had a huge grin on his face. He said he was watching the cheerleaders, hence the shank. All I could do was smile back and say, "Thatta boy."

You can take the kid out of Butte but you can't take the Butte out of the kid!

So basically what we need is somebody fast like Josh Sandry to learn how to rugby punt acceptably, that way the fake is ALWAYS an option.

AZGrizFan said:
So basically what we need is somebody fast like Josh Sandry to learn how to rugby punt acceptably, that way the fake is ALWAYS an option.

Or castrate Intuitive's nephew and see what he's got?

Back