• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Idaho Coming Home....

AZGrizFan

DONOR
http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/04/27/report-idaho-set-to-announce-move-back-to-fcs-level/

Eastern Michigan doesn’t appear ready to drop from the ranks of the FBS, but another teetering program apparently is.

In March of this year, the Sun Belt Conference announced that Idaho and New Mexico State would no longer be a part of the league when their four-year football terms expired following the 2017 season. At the time, Idaho stated that it will now decide whether to accept an invitation to join the Big Sky of the FCS — the Vandals are a member of that conference in every other sport — or compete as an independent at the FBS level.

Nearly two months later, and not surprisingly, the Vandals are set to ditch the FBS for the FCS. From FootballScoop.com:

“Tomorrow, University of Idaho President Chuck Staben will make an announcement regarding the future of Vandal football.

FCS sources tell FootballScoop this is the route Idaho intends to move and the official conference affiliation will be announced tomorrow.”

Idaho spent the past 20 seasons at the FBS level after moving up from the FCS for the 1996 season. Since making that move, the Vandals have appeared in just two bowl games (1998, 2009) and won more than five games in a single season five times, the last in 2010. In the five years since that 6-7 season, the Vandals have gone 9-50.

Welcome home Idaho. We will be getting to know their football fan base all over again. Will they be better or worse than MSU and EWU fans?

mtgrizrule said:
Welcome home Idaho. We will be getting to know their football fan base all over again. Will they be better or worse than MSU and EWU fans?

Ha. Judging by their forum, they are not going to be that friendly.

grizpsych said:
mtgrizrule said:

Never were very friendly from what I remember. wonder if we could get great brown stein tradition going again. Idaho was a great rivalry.

RayWill said:
grizpsych said:
mtgrizrule said:

Never were very friendly from what I remember. wonder if we could get great brown stein tradition going again. Idaho was a great rivalry.

Hope so. I've been dreaming about throwing baked potatoes since I saw it done when I was a kid.

Don't worry about Vandal fans, not many are FCS fans. Those that are don't attend games, donate to the VSF, or participate on social media.

grizpsych said:
mtgrizrule said:

Judging by their forum, they barely have a pulse . . .

grizpsych said:
RayWill said:
grizpsych said:
mtgrizrule said:

Hope so. I've been dreaming about throwing baked potatoes since I saw it done when I was a kid.

They weren't baked. That would have softened them up.

cclarkblues said:
grizpsych said:

That's what I remembered, but my memory is fading, to say the least. Baked. Christ! Why not just throw stuffed potatoes and plastic forks. :roll:

statler & waldorf said:
cclarkblues said:
grizpsych said:

That's what I remembered, but my memory is fading, to say the least. Baked. Christ! Why not just throw stuffed potatoes and plastic forks. :roll:

Well. I was pretty young.

grizpsych said:
statler & waldorf said:
cclarkblues said:
grizpsych said:

Well. I was pretty young.

Well, I actually threw them. Trust me, they were NOT baked. :shock:

F**king potatoes heads. The little Brown Stein is still ours. They broke off the rivalry game cus they were tired of getting beat by "lower level competition" all the time.

I beleive this is also the first time an FBS team has dropped down since '82 when teams were still finding out where they belonged.

Ursa Major said:
grizpsych said:
mtgrizrule said:

After the beatings they have been absorbing for 20 years, I cant imagine much swagger left in that fan base, but I would bet our rivalry will bring the Idaho fans out when we start playing again.

The most interesting aspect of this development will be what will happen to a 14-team football conference? Ron Loghry was quoted in the Cedar City paper recently as saying there may be two separate football leagues created, both FCS, one keeping the Big Sky name and with a new name. This would assure two automatic playoff bids. There would be a cross scheduling agreement between the leagues. The Big Sky would remain one basketball entity.

Ursa Major said:
grizpsych said:
mtgrizrule said:

If you are looking at their football board, Ursa, you are in the wrong place. Vandal fans are having a complete meltdown on their realignment board.

Bengal visitor said:
Ursa Major said:
grizpsych said:
mtgrizrule said:

If you are looking at their football board, Ursa, you are in the wrong place. Vandal fans are having a complete meltdown on their realignment board.

Thanks!! :thumb:

Back