• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Notes from Krakauer v. the State of Montana hearing

BozAngelesGriz

This morning at MSU I attended the hearing before the Montana Supreme Court regarding Krakauer's request for records from the University about disciplinary actions taken towards Jordan Johnson.

In all there were probably 300 in attendance with standing room only in the front half of Strand Union Building Ballroom 'A'. Lots of students were present from middle school on up as this was a public event billed "Montana State Law Day," and students were encouraged to attend.

Proceedings were opened by Anthony Johnston from the University of Montana school of law, who first reaffirmed that he was "Proud to come from a family of Bobcats." Johnston provided an overview of the system of appeals regarding cases such as these, which do not face an appellate court but rather are directly handled by the Montana Supreme Court. He then delineated the differences between campus proceedings and official court proceedings in the state of Montana.

He further went on to explain the laws of federal preemption to student privacy law under the Federal Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA). Krakaeur's side cites the Montana constitution in that "No person shall be deprived" of public records except when it clearly exceeds the merits of public disclosure. Christianson argues that there is "Little public benefit to disclosure" of the documents.

Krakaeur was represented by Mike Molloy, who sided with a Helena judge's stance to release the records in question. On the other side, the US Department of Education sides with Commissioner of Higher Education Clayton Christianson's decision not to release the documents on the basis of privacy. Christianson was represented by Viv Hammill.

Hammill was on her heels most of the morning, facing some harsh questioning particularly by Justice Mike Wheat. She argued that protecting student privacy is a "specific legal duty" of the Commissioner of Higher Ed and that the "vast request" by Krakaeur for information was protected by student privacy. Apparently his request document was in excess of 40 pages.

Most questions by the Justices regarded how much of an umbrella student privacy covers when there can be a case-by-case review of the release of private information. Some of the tools afforded to a party seeking the release of documents are an 'in camera review' of the material, a redaction of names of individuals on released material and to be granted a subpoena which would allow for the release of information to that specific case. However, the right to a subpoena can be contested, and this helps to establish a "balance" between what information can be released and what cannot.

The party seeking disclosure must show "genuine need that outweighs the student's need for privacy." Hammill argued that the Student Right to Know and Privacy Act protects students very broadly against anyone inquiring for records and that "legal prescient favors privacy."

Justice Wheat responded by saying that we are "not dealing with the privacy of the student." Further he asked Hammill, somewhat skeptically "if there is a student involved, then there is an umbrella that protects everything?" She responded, perhaps hesitantly, "Yes."

Next up was Molloy, who said he did not like the idea of in camera review of material and that it "puts the petitioner at a disadvantage" in that they don't know what they are missing. He argued that release of the documents with redaction of names would be the best alternative. To this, several Justices responded that regardless of the redactions it is still easy to discern which individuals are being referred to in the documents based on similarities with documents which have been released.

Molloy was much more verbose than Hammill, and the Chief Justice tried to simplify his argument asking "Walk me through this, what does he (Krakaeur) want?" Molloy responded saying that "we care about the processes of the Commissioner, and not the actions of Jordan Johnson."

When asked by the Justices about the higher level of student protection being emphasized by the Feds and which could trump decisions in a state court, Molloy responded "I don't think a student has a higher expectation of privacy than a tax payer."

Some levity was added to the conversation when the subject of public notoriety came up in regards to a student athlete's right to privacy. Molloy, brandishing a UM beanie in his hand, stated that notoriety mattered to a University of Montana quarterback because they are such high profile figures. In regards to what would establish a student athlete as "not notable," the following discussion took place:

Molloy: "if he were...a...uh..."
Justice: "careful, you're on thin ice"
Molloy: "if he were a Bobcat quarterback..."
(all laugh)

Molloy closed his argument saying that the release of the requested information was in the very motto of the University of Montana: "Lux et Veritas" meaning "Light and Truth."

Hammill had time for a brief rebuttal, which she emphasized that "athletes don't lose privacy by enrolling at a Montana school," and further citing that the scope of Krakauer's request was so broad that it violated other students' privacy, not just that of Johnson.

I am sure that I butchered some of the legal jargon and probably didn't get all of my attributions correct, but that's the gist of it.

It's good to see that the Montana Supreme Court recognizes the preeminence of the University of Montana football team over the cats. Shows they are not completely out of touch.

This will be an interesting decision. Historically, the Montana Supreme Court has placed great deference on individual privacy outweighing state action. In this matter, it is a private party is seeking information from the State. That being said, this case could open a can of worms if they side with Krakhead. If that is the case, does the media get to sue for what has been always considered confidential criminal justice information? Does a victims privacy get exposed? Montana has always be very cautious in this area. An in camera inspection seems to be the middle road.

BozAngelesGriz said:
This morning at MSU I attended the hearing before the Montana Supreme Court regarding Krakauer's request for records from the University about disciplinary actions taken towards Jordan Johnson.

In all there were probably 300 in attendance with standing room only in the front half of Strand Union Building Ballroom 'A'. Lots of students were present from middle school on up as this was a public event billed "Montana State Law Day," and students were encouraged to attend.
Hmmm. Only 300 people showed up. I thought there would be more interest, not only because of the underlying case itself, but because of the "famous author" involved. Over 1500 people showed up for my most recent Oral Argument before the Montana Supreme Court -- one of the highest attendances in its history -- and it was featured as front page stuff on five Montana dailies, including the final decision handed down a couple of months later in "our" favor reversing the District Court, and affecting perhaps more people than any similar decision -- one of those "landmark" cases.

Frankly, though, I wouldn't think "that" was as interesting as this one.

I did note, as people were showing up and I was standing by the front door with opposing counsel, that they must have invited civics classes from the local middle schools and high schools, everyone looked pretty young. He advised me that the ones I was looking at were from the Law School.

Old age is hell.

IdaGriz01 said:
S**t ... just s**t. This bit of crap has now become an ESPN headline,
http://espn.go.com/college-football...-seeks-answers-university-montana-qb-decision

Somehow, this still becomes "preferential treatment" for the football player, even when the case went to a real court (as opposed to a "kangaroo court," which K apparently favors) which acquitted JJ.
Even Kangaroos were embarrassed by that charade.

Hopefully, the Montana Supreme Court will recognize that "student privacy" cannot be sacrificed to overt private gain and greed, which is what this is all about for Krakauer. There is no "public" benefit here.

I question the lawyering on this case.

First, all college student records are private to the student. Even parents paying for college can't get their kid's records without the kid's written release.

The Federal Law us uniform on this, and includes incidents of academic or conduct discipline.

It is also well known, as shown by people in political positions or races, that they can go to federal court and have their college records sealed to protect them from FOIA requests during campaigns.

Assuming JJ doesn't want to have these records public (or he could have just given permission to Krak W), why doesn't Paoli just go back to the Federal District Judge who has seen some of these records in camera and ask him to order JJ's college records in the University system sealed, and end run the Montana state court? I'm assuming those already submitted are under seal with the Court?

Can any of you legal beagle's comment on this and she more light on why this was left in state court for Meloy and KW to muck around?

blackfoot griz said:
If Krak prevails, does this mean we have the right to dig into any body's college records including....Obama's?

no, this case wouldn't be precedent setting. its just what avenue, if any, they allow him to use to get the information. i highly doubt there will be a complete release of records.

horribilisfan8184 said:
I question the lawyering on this case. ...

Assuming JJ doesn't want to have these records public (or he could have just given permission to Krak W), why doesn't Paoli just go back to the Federal District Judge who has seen some of these records in camera and ask him to order JJ's college records in the University system sealed, and end run the Montana state court? I'm assuming those already submitted are under seal with the Court?
I think you're right on the points, but if I am recalling correctly, the Federal case was dismissed. It may have been with prejudice which means, can't be re-litigated for any purpose. If not "with prejudice," it is still dismissed and would have to be re-filed from scratch, and the whole new set of defendants added, and served, and the case argued. Essentially, at that point, it becomes a "Federal Case" to be relitigated from scratch, and at high expense and likely with a decision that would not be timely for the purposes of the state appeal.

blackfoot griz said:
If Krak prevails, does this mean we have the right to dig into any body's college records including....Obama's?

Yes! That's what this case is all about. Actually, everything in life is about that. It's all that really matters in this universe. Fucking Obama!

Back