• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UMass faculty to push for dropping out of FBS

UofMGrizFan

UMass faculty to push for dropping out of FBS

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...dium=newsletter&utm_campaign=college-football

By Zach BarnettApr 27, 2016, 5:53 PM EDT

It hasn’t been a good week for the lower rungs of FBS. Just a day ago Eastern Michigan warded off rumors the school would drop to Division II, and earlier today word broke Idaho will leave FBS for FCS. Now UMass will have to join the inauspicious group, as the university’s faculty senate will push to leave FBS or drop football altogether.

As with the Eagles and the Vandals, it’s not as if the naysayers don’t have a point. The Minutemen are just 8-40 since leaving the Colonial Athletic Association for the Mid-American Conference, and the MAC has since left them. UMass is now without a permanent home either in conference structure or in stadium, bouncing between an on-campus facility and the New England Patriots’ cavernous and distant Gillette Stadium.

In a regularly scheduled session, the faculty senate will on Thursday “urge Chancellor Subbaswamy, President Meehan, and the Board of Trustees of the University to end Division I football (Football Bowl Subdivision) at the University of Massachusetts Amherst and either move to a different division or discontinue NCAA football altogether.” As noted by MassLive.com, this is just the latest in a three-and-a-half year effort to question the university’s alliance with big-time college football.

Will anything result of this latest push? Probably not, except a hastily written open letter to reaffirm UMass’s commitment to FBS.

But one thing is clear: as football gets more expensive, the political capital of losing games grows as well.

statler & waldorf said:
Now that Idaho has set the precedent, why not? History was made today!
Idaho actually has dropped down twice now. Once back in the 50s from the PAC 8/10/12/?? and again. There are about 50 teams that should get out of the same division as the Big 10s and SECs of the world.

Many schools should be doing this. The highest paid state employee in 41 out of our 50 states is a stupid fuck!ng athletic coach. Peeps focus on athletics to the detriment of education is cray cray.

I posted a comment about this last night. It's much more involved than just the faculty. There is also a split in the athletic department about what direction they want to go in. The original moveup was made to make UMass a viable option for what was then the Big East. They had hoped that they would be a natural selection for the Big East, and develop a rivalry with UConn. They were willing to move all sports to the Big East, even those in the Atlantic 10.

But then the Big East fell apart with the basketball teams fracturing off, and the American being born. Some would still like to hold out hope for that invite...but others prefer to stay in A10 and either drop the football, or as mentioned drop it back down to FCS.

ordigger said:
I posted a comment about this last night. It's much more involved than just the faculty. There is also a split in the athletic department about what direction they want to go in. The original moveup was made to make UMass a viable option for what was then the Big East. They had hoped that they would be a natural selection for the Big East, and develop a rivalry with UConn. They were willing to move all sports to the Big East, even those in the Atlantic 10.

But then the Big East fell apart with the basketball teams fracturing off, and the American being born. Some would still like to hold out hope for that invite...but others prefer to stay in A10 and either drop the football, or as mentioned drop it back down to FCS.
And add in the fact that UMass has been a basketball power in the A-10. Their most recent season wasn't so great, but the three years before that they averaged over 23 wins and went to the NCAA championship tourney once and the NIT twice (and advanced to the NIT semi-final one of those times). I don't know their overall athletic financials, but I imagine they could save a ton of money by dumping FB and ... and they are well over the minimums for qualified D-I sports, so it would be all gravy if they did.

BornGrizz said:
Many schools should be doing this. The highest paid state employee in 41 out of our 50 states is a stupid fuck!ng athletic coach. Peeps focus on athletics to the detriment of education is cray cray.

Until the art and English majors start paying the bills, it'll be that way for a long time.

IdaGriz01 said:
ordigger said:

And add in the fact that UMass has been a basketball power in the A-10. Their most recent season wasn't so great, but the three years before that they averaged over 23 wins and went to the NCAA championship tourney once and the NIT twice (and advanced to the NIT semi-final one of those times). I don't know their overall athletic financials, but I imagine they could save a ton of money by dumping FB and ... and they are well over the minimums for qualified D-I sports, so it would be all gravy if they did.

Down year for the Minutemen Men's BB team this year, but they had some good freshman play down the stretch. They'll be back soon.

ordigger said:

Digger, so what do you think about UMass football now. It's a disaster. I tried to tell you. I know you had a relative close to the UMass decision, and maybe still do, but I'm telling you I was right and they weren't. The UMass decision athletic/football decision makers totally screwed up, and now most of them are gone. They may have ruined UMass football for a long time. I don't even know where UMass basketball is now.

MrTitleist said:
BornGrizz said:
Many schools should be doing this. The highest paid state employee in 41 out of our 50 states is a stupid f***!ng athletic coach. Peeps focus on athletics to the detriment of education is cray cray.

Until the art and English majors start paying the bills, it'll be that way for a long time.
Truth be told, I bet the art, English, music, and drama grads have donated a lot more to UM than you seem to think. Even the Graduation speaker is a music/drama major who has donated a lot to UM....Your post is a good representative of just why so many alienate themselves from the football program. Look at the bigger picture.It is more than meets the eye.

PlayerRep said:
ordigger said:

Digger, so what do you think about UMass football now. It's a disaster. I tried to tell you. I know you had a relative close to the UMass decision, and maybe still do, but I'm telling you I was right and they weren't. The UMass decision athletic/football decision makers totally screwed up, and now most of them are gone. They may have ruined UMass football for a long time. I don't even know where UMass basketball is now.

Two of the biggest proponents of the move up are actually no longer with the school. I'm not sure what new athletic director Ryan Bamford's position is on the entire scenario. It was former AD McCutcheon who was really pushing to be "the" university in the state - dreaming of surpassing even Boston College. The split has always been between the administrative end, and the coaches. I cant remember the name of the former President who was backed it (edit: I looked it up - it was Jack Wilson who retired in 2011), but Holub, the former Chancellor was also a supporter.

From the basketball perspective, they are perfectly happy being in the Atlantic 10. I dont know what the football side of things think, as I've not asked plus Mark Whipple returned 2 years ago to take over the team again. I've not been to Springfield in a couple of years, nor have I really talked with my cousin in depth of late - especially with the season just winding down. I know he was really excited about the hire of Bamford.

As for the team, they have some good younger guys coming into their own so they should be competitive again this year. Rashaan Holloway at 335 lbs could play on the football team. Their recruiting class that is coming in this year was ranked in the top 25 nationally.

I remember you were pushing the financials but Wilson, Holub and McCuthcheon believed that with a move up, revenue would increase. Part of the problem was the "step up" league (MAC) really wasn't a fit for them, nor did they have a solid plan for a stadium, and the playing in Boston area was crazy at best. In some ways this is what Montana proponents of the move up scenario believe - increased revenues but no good entry level league available.

If they had not moved so fast, and been a bit more patient then I'm guessing the same decisions would not have been made. And as you mentioned many of the supporters (on admin end) are now gone - but its the coaches that are left with the mess.

The most interesting thing about this period is how so many people in so many places are so blinded by the millions of tax revenue being lost in football each and every year. It's just cray cray.

Here's a great story about a small Texas school doing the right thing and turning their football field into a farm.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...provides-local-produce-dallas-cowboys-stadium

That deed increased enrollment, substantially decreased operating costs, and increased their ability to invest in education. :shock: No fu$king way!

UMass' problems are the same as Idaho's: shitty stadium and lack of a legitimate confence in their geographic area.

ordigger said:
PlayerRep said:
ordigger said:

Two of the biggest proponents of the move up are actually no longer with the school. I'm not sure what new athletic director Ryan Bamford's position is on the entire scenario. It was former AD McCutcheon who was really pushing to be "the" university in the state - dreaming of surpassing even Boston College. The split has always been between the administrative end, and the coaches. I cant remember the name of the former President who was backed it (edit: I looked it up - it was Jack Wilson who retired in 2011), but Holub, the former Chancellor was also a supporter.

From the basketball perspective, they are perfectly happy being in the Atlantic 10. I dont know what the football side of things think, as I've not asked plus Mark Whipple returned 2 years ago to take over the team again. I've not been to Springfield in a couple of years, nor have I really talked with my cousin in depth of late - especially with the season just winding down. I know he was really excited about the hire of Bamford.

As for the team, they have some good younger guys coming into their own so they should be competitive again this year. Rashaan Holloway at 335 lbs could play on the football team. Their recruiting class that is coming in this year was ranked in the top 25 nationally.

I remember you were pushing the financials but Wilson, Holub and McCuthcheon believed that with a move up, revenue would increase. Part of the problem was the "step up" league (MAC) really wasn't a fit for them, nor did they have a solid plan for a stadium, and the playing in Boston area was crazy at best. In some ways this is what Montana proponents of the move up scenario believe - increased revenues but no good entry level league available.

If they had not moved so fast, and been a bit more patient then I'm guessing the same decisions would not have been made. And as you mentioned many of the supporters (on admin end) are now gone - but its the coaches that are left with the mess.

Thanks.

EverettGriz said:
UMass' problems are the same as Idaho's: shitty stadium and lack of a legitimate confence in their geographic area.

Agreed. At time of their decision, there was an inner circle that really believed they would get a Big East invite within 3-5 years. They didn't anticipate for the ever changing climate.

But Alpha we have a ton of nuts wanting us to move up?

The "new english" means up is down...Not sure if down means up?

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
If UM dropped down we might become a relevant national power again.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Gee, this wouldn't happen to be the Bizon fan on AG1's account, would it? Nobody cares about your team or your pathetic state. You have to hang out on a rival's message board. Think about that.

CDAGRIZ said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
If UM dropped down we might become a relevant national power again.

Gee, this wouldn't happen to be the Bizon fan on AG1's account, would it? Nobody cares about your team or your pathetic state. You have to hang out on a rival's message board. Think about that.
I can confirm it was not me..........
a2a8ec1e09f2d3a68e91543eec973fc6.jpg

Latest posts

Back