• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Mexico State to the BSC?

NavyBlue

Would the Big Sky be interested in New Mexico State? Would you have room for them?

http://www.lcsun-news.com/story/sports/college/blogs/cruces-sports-extra/2016/04/13/board-regents-wantsneeds-more-input-regarding-conference-affiliations/83005146/

http://www.scout.com/college/new-mexico-state/forums/2377-sports-trough/14711910-idaho-football-to-drop-to-fcs?s=242&page=2

I am just damned glad that USU got invited to the Mountain West, or Idaho's fate could have been ours.

grizpsych said:
GlacierGrizX said:
If NMSU wants in, who do we drop to replace them? Northern Colorado?

My personal opinion would be no one. We go FBS with eight and FCS with seven.

Would this be your 8?

Montana
Montana State
Idaho
New Mexico State
EWU
Cal Poly
NAU
Weber(?)

AZGrizFan said:
grizpsych said:
GlacierGrizX said:

Would this be your 8?

Montana
Montana State
Idaho
New Mexico State
EWU
Cal Poly
NAU
Weber(?)
Under current NCAA rules that is not possible. Back before the WAC imploded the NCAA tried to help the WAC by making it so only existing FBS conferences can invite FCS schools to reclassify them as FBS schools to prevent massive move ups. Unfortunate that rule didn't help and as a result the WAC is no more. Also the "grey period" was a 2 year window from the last WAC sponsored game which would have been at latest 2013 season...

AZGrizFan said:
grizpsych said:
GlacierGrizX said:

Would this be your 8?

Montana
Montana State
Idaho
New Mexico State
EWU
Cal Poly
NAU
Weber(?)
Dreaming.

AZGrizFan said:
grizpsych said:
GlacierGrizX said:

Would this be your 8?

Montana
Montana State
Idaho
New Mexico State
EWU
Cal Poly
NAU
Weber(?)
Close. But swap NAU for PSU and Web for Sac ST.

grizpsych said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizpsych said:
GlacierGrizX said:

Would this be your 8?

Montana
Montana State
Idaho
New Mexico State
EWU
Cal Poly
NAU
Weber(?)
Close. But swap NAU for PSU and Web for Sac ST.

I don't think any of those teams belong in the FBS, but I'd say Davis would be in that conversation if this were to happen.

Shoichi said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizpsych said:
GlacierGrizX said:

Would this be your 8?

Montana
Montana State
Idaho
New Mexico State
EWU
Cal Poly
NAU
Weber(?)
Under current NCAA rules that is not possible. Back before the WAC imploded the NCAA tried to help the WAC by making it so only existing FBS conferences can invite FCS schools to reclassify them as FBS schools to prevent massive move ups. Unfortunate that rule didn't help and as a result the WAC is no more. Also the "grey period" was a 2 year window from the last WAC sponsored game which would have been at latest 2013 season...

True...under current NCAA rules....but a waiver is always possible. If the NCAA thinks it best then odds are it happens. No way Montana EVER gets invited to the MWC, despite what some people wish to believe. There are to many other options should the MWC ever expand. There has to be a "stepping stone" in the west. Currently there is not.

Also watch for UMass perhaps returning to the Colonial. Things are progressing like they'd like. Great deal of internal debate.

ordigger said:
Shoichi said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizpsych said:

Would this be your 8?

Montana
Montana State
Idaho
New Mexico State
EWU
Cal Poly
NAU
Weber(?)

True...under current NCAA rules....but a waiver is always possible. If the NCAA thinks it best then odds are it happens. No way Montana EVER gets invited to the MWC, despite what some people wish to believe. There are to many other options should the MWC ever expand. There has to be a "stepping stone" in the west. Currently there is not.

And those are whom????

AZGrizFan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
EverettGriz said:
GlacierGrizX said:

Montana, who goes to the MWC where they belong.
This is the best possible outcome.
:lol: :lol:

That would be f***[*] awesome. :lol: :lol:
They could put us in the mountain division and invite Ewu or one of the Cali schools to go in the west which would make it a 14 team conference or kick out Hawaii, move NM to the west and put us in the mountain division. Either scenario works for me.

ordigger said:
Shoichi said:
AZGrizFan said:
grizpsych said:

Would this be your 8?

Montana
Montana State
Idaho
New Mexico State
EWU
Cal Poly
NAU
Weber(?)

Name even one program who makes more sense to the MWC than does Montana.

EverettGriz said:
ordigger said:
Shoichi said:
AZGrizFan said:
Would this be your 8?

Montana
Montana State
Idaho
New Mexico State
EWU
Cal Poly
NAU
Weber(?)

Name even one program who makes more sense to the MWC than does Montana.

Thats easy - UTEP....and Montana is no better than Idaho who was already FBS. Here's a 2nd...Rice. Wichita State also inquired a couple years ago. And don't forget BYU....who is always an option but probably more likely to go Big 12 when they are raided in a few years.

Back