• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

If payers could be paid legally????

BadlandsGrizFan

My dear friend and I recently have had an argument over whether or not if boosters were able to legally pay athletes whatever price they chose, would it affect the sport or game more so than it already does with players being paid illegally.

His argument was NO it wouldnt because players are already being paid by the major programs behind the scenes large ammounts of money, which I agree is accurate.

My opinion was that YES it would, because schools like Texas or Tulsa or Oklahoma State would instantly start winning every year because of boosters whom are oil tycoons and what not would be able and willing to pay any amount to win.

He thinks that number is already capped, I think hes underestimating what boosters would be willing to pay in Texas to win titles, my argument is that getting caught is really the only little deterant any of these schools or players have currently stopping them from taking larger payouts. The fear of a program being put on probation....

I was interested to hear some of your opinions on this topic, would it or would it not drastically change the outcome of college sports today?

Don't shit yourself for one minute and think that Football players are not getting paid! I had 2 friends who played for perennial national power house team in the mid 80's. On of them was drafted and played in the NFL for 9 years. They both had jobs in the summers where they did the following jobs: dishwasher, mowed lawns and cleaned cars at a car dealership. When they washed dishes there were old silver dollars in the bottom of the sink when they drained the sink. They would put the silver dollars in their pocket and take them to a coin shop and sell them. When they mowed lawns there were 100 bills hat pinned to the ground and when they cleaned cars they would vaccum out cars and at the end of their shift would empty the shop vac and there would be hundreds of dollars in the shop vac. There are ways to get money into the hands of these athletes!

So a guy finds a few Franklins on the ground while he's at work. That does not mean that he was being paid, my friend.

irwin-mainway-mustache.jpg

Richard Cranium said:
Don't shit yourself for one minute and think that Football players are not getting paid! I had 2 friends who played for perennial national power house team in the mid 80's. On of them was drafted and played in the NFL for 9 years. They both had jobs in the summers where they did the following jobs: dishwasher, mowed lawns and cleaned cars at a car dealership. When they washed dishes there were old silver dollars in the bottom of the sink when they drained the sink. They would put the silver dollars in their pocket and take them to a coin shop and sell them. When they mowed lawns there were 100 bills hat pinned to the ground and when they cleaned cars they would vaccum out cars and at the end of their shift would empty the shop vac and there would be hundreds of dollars in the shop vac. There are ways to get money into the hands of these athletes!

Quinn and Peterson "worked" at a car dealership while at Oklahoma. One got in trouble, so the other could thrive.....

GrizPony said:
Richard Cranium said:

Quinn and Peterson "worked" at a car dealership while at Oklahoma. One got in trouble, so the other could thrive.....

The players of which I speak of played in the same conference as Oklahoma.

I didn't deny that players got paid, my question and comments were more in the direction that there are certain schools that would dominate every year and wouldn't even be touched because of the funds their boosters would be willing to pay.

I don't know why the hell people think they need to be paid period. If they were crippled in a car accident they probably wouldn't be in college. 30-160k in scholarships is more than worth it. You don't have to play. You're not entitled to shit. I'm not college football size so I didn't get a scholarship and I had to pa for my school myself. Just because you're a big bitch doesn't mean someone should pay you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dupuyer griz said:
I don't know why the hell people think they need to be paid period. If they were crippled in a car accident they probably wouldn't be in college. 30-160k in scholarships is more than worth it. You don't have to play. You're not entitled to shit. I'm not college football size so I didn't get a scholarship and I had to pa for my school myself. Just because you're a big bitch doesn't mean someone should pay you.

7e4.jpg

dupuyer griz said:

Why would someone paralyzed in a car accident probably not go to college?

Fahque said:
dupuyer griz said:

Why would someone paralyzed in a car accident probably not go to college?
No handicaps in college. Just kidding, I'm saying these pouty little shits that need paid for everything they do, don't give a shit about college. They get paid to go and cry that someone wouldn't just write a check. How many of them would A: go to college B: get a scholarship for grades. I know I know, that one lineman from that one school has really good grades. I'm just think it's comical that they want paid for something that, if you're really into fitness you get up and do without pouting. What, no way, they made you get out of bed at the time I wake up because I like getting shit done in the morning? Oh the humanity.

When I went to University of Washington in the late 90s, all of the scholarship football players had matching Durangos. I think many FBS athletes are "paid" in underhanded, not always in so subtle ways. One of my roommates dated a walk-on kicker at UW, and he had so much Nike clothing and shoes it was crazy. Montana makes the players give back clothing after traveling and does not have these frills for players other than scholarships and a few Nike clothes. What is hard for players at Montana is that it is really hard to ever maintain a job with almost year-round workouts. Personally, I think players should receive a stipend because it is so hard to work for them with constant practice and mandatory study sessions.

Back