• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kent Haslam hiring grades

Paytonlives

Staff member
Came on board in 2012 and has made 3 major coaching hires.

Bob Stitt Football (Football)
Haslam Gets a B-. This is the year we will be able to grade Coach Stitt correctly. Made the playoffs in his first year, but has totally overturned the roster with 40+ new players. Make a run to the Championship and the Grade is a A. Fail to meet UM expectations and he quickly becomes a D.

Travis DeCuire (B-Ball)
A great hire and a Great recruiter. I give Haslam a A- on this Hire. Dont get me wrong, UM is blessed to have DeCuire, but he is still learning and has made a few small coaching mistakes that have cost the Griz a few games. The future is very bright... for as long as he is at UM

Jamie Pinkerton (Softball)
Haslam gets a A+++ on this hire. Pinkerton has taken a program with zero players to playing for a Championship in their second year of existence... I hope Pinkerton falls in love with Missoula and coaches at UM for 20+ years.

Would love to see his "short" list for Women's basketball possible hires.

Selvig is a mainstay... but someday he will hang up his whistle.

Paytonlives said:

I agree with you, however, when you look at the Lady Griz, I think Robin needs to move on sooner rather than later.

Paytonlives said:

His "short list" has but one name: Shannon Cate Schweyen.

Delaney's contract extension has to put a dent in the armor IMO. But I'd agree that overall he's been solid...

putter said:
Paytonlives said:

I agree with you, however, when you look at the Lady Griz, I think Robin needs to move on sooner rather than later.

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!!!

putter said:
Paytonlives said:

I feel really conflicted about this.

• The Good
    - Robin Selvig clearly is an excellent coach - otherwise his teams wouldn't be consistently near the top of the Big Sky year after year after year - especially with (supposedly rumored) a recruiting budget made of hopes, dreams, bubble-gum, duct-tape & bailing wire.

- His teams have solid D year after year. They are almost always in games even with years where the offense is mostly "blah."

- Has great assistant coaches and the players love him (well, seem to...I'm not an "insider" so...) and the assistants.

The Bad
    - Seems to have trouble on a somewhat consistent basis against teams that are more athletic and aggressively press / trap. Is sometimes able to out X & O them but in general, very athletic, aggressive teams tend to give the Lady Griz fits.

- Since the women's game has gradually moved farther away from offenses executing "set plays," the Ladies haven't really been able to advance when they make it to the NCAA tourney - their last win in the NCAA's was...1992(?). They came close against Louisiana Tech(?) in 1996(or 1997?) & Pitt in 2008, leading at halftime in both games. The year when they could have gotten a potential 9 or 10 seed in the tourney was 2003 (or 2004?), but unfortunately ended up losing in the Tourney Championship game at home and didn't even make the tournament. If I'm remembering correctly, the selection committee, instead of having 2 Big Sky teams in, gave the team that beat the ladies a 12 (or 13?) seed, and left the Lady Griz out. Had the ladies won the tourney, they probably would have been a 10 seed at the highest - I believe they were ranked 23rd (out of the top 25) for a large portion of that season.

- Seems to "run what they run" on offense, regardless of opponent, and relies upon tough, consistent D. Has the game passed him by, or does he just stick with what works (tough D) to win the Big Sky, and making the NCAA and MAYBE being competitive is "good enough." Or, is the recruiting budget that limited?

When balancing those things out, part of me doesn't think the Lady Griz will be able to "take the next step" with Selvig at the helm. Part of me feels that we shouldn't be fine with just being "little ole Montana" and wants to win NCAA tourney games on a regular basis. However thinking about all of that, I really believe Coach Selvig is awesome at what he does, and when he finally hangs up the whistle, we'll all notice that we "didn't really know what we had until it was gone."

Can't argue with grades given with the exception of a B- for Stitt. I would give him a solid C. His lack of understanding of just how important the kicking, (including punting), game is at the Division 1 level is a real concern. He appears to be learning, but nothing done this off season gives me much confidence that this year will show improvement in the kicking game and if it gets much worse we are going to have real problems in close games this year.

As for Robin Selvig, I will take a defensive minded coach over an offensive minded one any day. Defense can always be played consistently, while offense can be fleeting. That is why offense wins games, defense wins championships. Having said that Robin would be well served in recruiting some talented outside shooters.

Paytonlives said:

Haslam Gets a B-. This is the year we will be able to grade Coach Stitt correctly. Made the playoffs in his first year, but has totally overturned the roster with 40+ new players. Make a run to the Championship and the Grade is a A. Fail to meet UM expectations and he quickly becomes a D.

Travis DeCuire (B-Ball)
A great hire and a Great recruiter. I give Haslam a A- on this Hire. Dont get me wrong, UM is blessed to have DeCuire, but he is still learning and has made a few small coaching mistakes that have cost the Griz a few games. The future is very bright... for as long as he is at UM

Haslam gets a A+++ on this hire. Pinkerton has taken a program with zero players to playing for a Championship in their second year of existence... I hope Pinkerton falls in love with Missoula and coaches at UM for 20+ years.

Curious, what were the coaching moves DeCuire made that cost the Griz games?

Paytonlives said:

Travis DeCuire (B-Ball)

Unless Stitt, Decuire or Pinkerton win the Big Sky Confernece, I wouldn't give any of them an A yet.....
I get that Pinkerton has advanced the team faster and further than anyone would have thought. No doubt, that hire is going to be an A+. Stitt and Decuire have more to prove. I would give Haslam a B so far on these hires.
Go Griz!

Gittes406 said:
Paytonlives said:

Travis DeCuire (B-Ball)

Curious, what were the coaching moves DeCuire made that cost the Griz games?

There were a few games that the Griz had a lead late, say less then 1:30 left in the game and did not win. Nevada and Weber come to mind. I believe that coaches have to be really good during that time of the game... But it is a small sample size, so that's why the minus.

UMGriz75 said:
CV Griz Fan said:
Delaney's contract extension has to put a dent in the armor IMO. But I'd agree that overall he's been solid...
Payton, how would you grade that?

Poor, yes... I love coaches with Fire! And Delaney seems like a nice Grandpa, Not a D1 coach.

But it was the same year Haslam started at UM, and was just getting his feet wet. I cant really come down to hard on a new AD in that situation.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
putter said:
Paytonlives said:

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!!!

Ha Ha, don't hold back, tell us how you really feel!

Coaching hires and his overall grade? Consider Track, Volley Ball, Golf, Womens Tennis along with the three mentioned by Payton. These sports need to be taken into account if we are going to "judge" Haslam on his hiring grades even though some of the coaches were fired and some quit under weird circumstances and some may need to be fired. Most of Us ONLY look at the win/loss record of coaching. Period!

Pinkerton? Yes indeed a strong A+.

I hate some of the comments about Selvig, Decure and Stitt. Selvig has taken the Womens team to greatness and without getting girls from very far outside of Montana. He will be leaving soon but has done a fantastic job up to this point. For his past coaching and keeping the program in the top of the conf. I give him an A.

Decure was a GREAT hire and he brings super excitement along with some great kids into the program all without a dominent big man. I did not think you could win without a big man but he does! Fast play and excitement, I love his style plus he is a class guy! A lucky Griz hire! I'll toss him an A.

Coach Stitt brings a new style of football to Montana. Far and above any recent coaches. The guy is very smart and quick minded. One needs to visit with him one on one to get a grasp of what he is all about. I will admit he looked out of sorts last season. My view on Stitt is by the time 2017 rolls around he will have us in the top few programs in the nation. As with Decure he brings excitement and fans love seeing the ball in the air. Women especially and others that are not such fans of smash mouth football. Most of us guys grew up with running the ball up the gut with a pass thrown in for the hell of it style. After I met Don Read and he showed what could be done with the "air ball" I became a convert. Most agree it will take three years to really know what Stitt is all about but so far I will go out on a limb and say he will grade out with an A.

Haslam? At this point an A-. Why? Some coaching problems are in the "other" sports that need to be taken into consideration and addressed but so far he is doing a good job overall.

Umista said:
Coaching hires and his overall grade? Consider Track, Volley Ball, Golf, Womens Tennis along with the three mentioned by Payton. These sports need to be taken into account if we are going to "judge" Haslam on his hiring grades even though some of the coaches were fired and some quit under weird circumstances and some may need to be fired.
Makena Morley's transfer from Montana was a blow to Track & Field, no doubt. Couldn't get along with the coach, or the coach was having problems working with the athlete. Collin Fehr "has his views of things," no doubt, but as usual, there's a way to do things and a way not to do things. When good athletes leave because of "problems with the coach," it's not a "plus."

Women's Volleyball? That 8-20 record is mitigated only by the late season win over Montana State.

Women's Golf? Scoring in the bottom half of most of their tournaments.

Women's Tennis? 4 of 17. Seriously. Ouch.

Women's Soccer? 9-11-2.

UM has some real underperformers.

Interestingly, "UM Rodeo" is carried as a varsity sport budget item on the Board of Regents athletic budgets, but not listed at Go.Grz, so don't know what their record is. I had heard that the horse wanted to quit.

Is Haslam going to do something or do a Peter Fields?

Back