• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Food for Thought

EverettGriz

DONOR
Well, we've all had an enjoyable month or so laughing at Idaho, and many on here have stated that the move to FCS was inevitable given Idaho's losing record and poor attendance.

But let's compare their results with a current BSC member. Idaho went 29-33 against current Sun Belt members. Since joining the BSC in 2013, they averaged 14,474 fans per game.

Since joining the Big Sky Conference, Northern Colorado is 14-58 against Big Sky foes. In 2013, they averaged 3,998 fans per game.

While we welcome the Spuds back to the fold, perhaps it's time the BSC take a critical look at an action similar to the one taken by the Sun Belt.

EverettGriz said:
Well, we've all had an enjoyable month or so laughing at Idaho, and many on here have stated that the move to FCS was inevitable given Idaho's losing record and poor attendance.

But let's compare their results with a current BSC member. Idaho went 29-33 against current Sun Belt members. Since joining the BSC in 2013, they averaged 14,474 fans per game.

Since joining the Big Sky Conference, Northern Colorado is 14-58 against Big Sky foes. In 2013, they averaged 3,998 fans per game.

While we welcome the Spuds back to the fold, perhaps it's time the BSC take a critical look at an action similar to the one taken by the Sun Belt.

Shocking as it may be to you and others, the Big Sky Conference is NOT only about football.

Shit, that's the primary reason I want OUT of this conference, because they don't do anything to improve the basketball and olympic sports.

Has UNC lit the world on fire in those?

EverettGriz said:
Shit, that's the primary reason I want OUT of this conference, because they don't do anything to improve the basketball and olympic sports.

Has UNC lit the world on fire in those?
Are you referring to NCU? I get that mixed up too.

EverettGriz said:

UNC. The University of No Credit. Enough said. Go DU Pioneers!

EverettGriz said:

You get an amen from me brother.

I really don't like what the conference has become. There are a lot of schools in the conference that I would not consider peer institutions, which I feel like should be held to significant importance when determining membership. Huge mistake on not pouncing on the opportunity of adding the Dakota schools when they made the move.

CDAGRIZ said:
I'm honestly shocked NCU has won 14 BSC games. Is that across all sports?

They had a pretty tough basketball team my junior year in college....If I remember right they hosted the tourney.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:

They had a pretty tough basketball team my junior year in college....If I remember right they hosted the tourney.
They won the tourney in 2011 by beating the Griz.

Yukon said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:

They won the tourney in 2011 by beating the Griz.

They won with the help of the refs. The refs screwed NAU badly in the semifinal and screwed Montana badly in the championship game. After their one year of glory, the sunk right back to where they're a accustomed to.

Sam A. Blitz said:
I really don't like what the conference has become. There are a lot of schools in the conference that I would not consider peer institutions, which I feel like should be held to significant importance when determining membership.
Be careful. By the time Royce Engstrom gets done, our concept of "peer institutions" may be heavily revised. A successful football program can hugely boost a successful University. But it can't save a thoroughly bungled University.

The University of Montana has now lost more students as a percentage of student body than all but two other universities in the nation in the past 20 years. There is nothing "normal," nor typical of liberal arts colleges. It is distinctive. The only comparable drops are at University of Missouri after the recent racial turmoil, and “Tulane University the year after Hurricane Katrina.” That was 16 years ago.

At UMissouri "the number of new students shrunk even as the university has embarked on an aggressive effort to drum up interest in the school, using text messages and Skype and deploying more out-of-state recruiters."

Perhaps the Board of Regents, when they realize that their own self-congratulatory approach to managing the MUS is itself an example of bungled governance, will adopt a "football" approach: when the coach can't win a game, it's time to change coaches. After six years, it's long past time.

Northern Colorado should be NAIA or Division2. No question, in football. They don't have any fans and they are unable to attract quality recruits.

UMGriz75 said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
I really don't like what the conference has become. There are a lot of schools in the conference that I would not consider peer institutions, which I feel like should be held to significant importance when determining membership.
Be careful. By the time Royce Engstrom gets done, our concept of "peer institutions" may be heavily revised. A successful football program can hugely boost a successful University. But it can't save a thoroughly bungled University.

The University of Montana has now lost more students as a percentage of student body than all but two other universities in the nation in the past 20 years. There is nothing "normal," nor typical of liberal arts colleges. It is distinctive. The only comparable drops are at University of Missouri after the recent racial turmoil, and “Tulane University the year after Hurricane Katrina.” That was 16 years ago.

At UMissouri "the number of new students shrunk even as the university has embarked on an aggressive effort to drum up interest in the school, using text messages and Skype and deploying more out-of-state recruiters."

Perhaps the Board of Regents, when they realize that their own self-congratulatory approach to managing the MUS is itself an example of bungled governance, will adopt a "football" approach: when the coach can't win a game, it's time to change coaches. After six years, it's long past time.

Where did you find that statistic? Its interesting...and sad :(

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Where did you find that statistic? Its interesting...and sad :(
An article on the plight of the University of Missouri. There, the football team had a prominent role in the fall of that institution.

http://heatst.com/culture-wars/more-misery-at-mizzou-as-enrollment-plummets/?mod=sm_tw_post

The link there is to perhaps a better story about "UM's" plight -- University of Missouri.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/outkick-the-coverage/mizzou-freshmen-enrollment-plunges-after-fake-protests-050216

The underlying causes were small. But, through administrative incompetence, they were magnified into bizarre "scandals" of national significance. The cause and effect is not unlike our own "UM" albeit in a faster "real time." It demonstrates how devastating "PC Culture" can be to schools and how hapless administrators like Engstrom can perpetuate and enable the resulting disasters by the inability to "lead" and the inability to take decisive action at key points in time.

Here, the successful Football program is the only aspect of the campus that Engstrom did take "decisive" action against; precisely the wrong "decisive" action, sending the wrong "national" signal. And it is the program that continues to offer the only picture of success on campus.

And, the picture is even darker than that. At "Mizzou" the oddly homophonic name of a University in a different city:
With the declining enrollment, [t]he students with the best college options are the least likely to enroll at Mizzou, meaning this isn't just a significantly smaller class, it's also likely to be much less academically strong.

Back