• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

MSU Hires Next AD UP - Leon Costello

ordigger

DONOR
They moved quick...and Costello deserves his own thread.

http://www.bozemandailychronicle.co...cle_5b51b515-ea0c-51e7-9e5c-e0780c8c3ff9.html

Montana State wasted little time after recently appointed athletic director Kyle Brennan of Utah unexpectedly backed out, naming South Dakota State’s Leon Costello to the same post Tuesday afternoon, the school confirmed in a text message to the Chronicle.

The move comes less than 24 hours after Brennan, the Utes’ deputy athletic director, spoke with MSU President Waded Cruzado and expressed a variety of concerns — among them finding affordable housing and schools for his three children — before turning down the position.

“It would be an understatement to say I am disappointed,” Cruzado said in a school news release Tuesday morning. “We simply have been dealt an extraordinarily rare and unfortunate hand.”

Cruzado then reached out to Costello, the Jackrabbits’ senior associate athletic director, one of five finalists who interviewed on campus last week. He will make the same $185,000 offered to Brennan and will start no later than July 1, according to the school.

Costello played a major role in helping to secure a new basketball arena at UNI, and then assisted in raising more than $57 million at SDSU. That money resulted in the construction of a $32 million indoor center that provides space for football, track and field and other sports. The Jackrabbits also are in the process of completing Dana J. Dykhouse Stadium, a $63 million, 19,340-seat football stadium.

No idea how multiple decades of making music my mother listens to qualifies someone to run a department, but the cats have always danced to the beating of their own sky.

griz4life said:
He's 7 months removed from his last Griz loss, 6 months and 2 week from his next.
Didn't SDSU beat the bobkittens the last time they played? I guess if you can't beat em join em. So are they gonna change their name to the Far West South Dakota State Jackscats?

The larger issue here is for MSU as a whole. Bozeman is becoming ridiculously expensive and that is just not attractive when you make 180k per year. Is 180k tough to live on? Nope, but with that much stress you better get paid big boy/girl $$$. Coaching is gonna be similar and they will have a revolving door because good coaches will move up/out. Bad coaches - well I guess they just get overlooked and stay for extended periods of time. Yikes. For those of you thinking 180k is a lot of money regardless the stress - it isn't. Not when you can make that or much more somewhere else where the cost of living is reasonable.

CDAGRIZ said:
Are they gong to have a press conference in the garage?

Are you talking about the Don "Iron Tumbleweed" Hass Memorial Campus Sauna?

Few people back in the day knew that Don "Dick" Hass was a Bath House aficionado.

CDAGRIZ said:
No idea how multiple decades of making music my mother listens to qualifies someone to run a department, but the cats have always danced to the beating of their own sky.

Hahahah!

Ursa Major said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Are they gong to have a press conference in the garage?

Are you talking about the Don "Iron Tumbleweed" Hass Memorial Campus Sauna?

Few people back in the day knew that Don "Dick" Hass was a Bath House aficionado.

Ha! Yes, that's the one! So, you're saying he knows all about tongues in grooves?

8079b45467237c5b94b8927d2b8b4c0d.jpg

Copper Griz said:
The larger issue here is for MSU as a whole. Bozeman is becoming ridiculously expensive and that is just not attractive when you make 180k per year. Is 180k tough to live on? Nope, but with that much stress you better get paid big boy/girl $$$. Coaching is gonna be similar and they will have a revolving door because good coaches will move up/out. Bad coaches - well I guess they just get overlooked and stay for extended periods of time. Yikes. For those of you thinking 180k is a lot of money regardless the stress - it isn't. Not when you can make that or much more somewhere else where the cost of living is reasonable.

I know most are rolling their eyes but this is spot on.

Does anyone know if he's planning to bring Abbott from SDSU over with him? They make such a formidable pair....

EverettGriz is slowing down in his thought process. Where is the "welcome to Bozeman" and "prepare to win pre-season championships?"

Cmon Everett you have to start picking it up again! I am depending on you.

What was/is he making at Utah?

Cost of living index is higher in SlC than Bozeman: 105 to 103. Looks like median housing price and other realtor index prices are a bit higher than SLC. Even with Bozeman housing high, there are other places to live, like Belgrade, which is considerably less expensive. I can't imagine that someone can't live quite well in Bozeman for what his AD salary (and probably related benefits) was. It must have been much more than the housing cost.

Back