• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

THE REAL STORY FROM JR's DAD

I am JR's dad and this will be my one and only post to this blog:

It would have been very professional if AJ had gotten the complete story before he makes a major announcement; for one - he never asked JR about this event.

(1) JR's birthday was several days before the NDSU playoff game
(2) For his birthday he was given a brownie of which he took home and ate at home. The brownie was a 'bad' brownie of which JR nor his fiancee knew that it was not good. It was definitely a case of inadvertent use of a banned substance
(3) It soon became obvious that the brownie was not good because of dizziness and nausea that night
(4) before the NDSU game the team has drug testing
(5) JR has a positive test
(6) NCAA (anonymous) committee denies appeal and suspends JR for 5 1/2 games (this meeting was in February)
(7) Feeling justice has not been served correctly and having no prior substance abuse, JR contacts the NCAA on his own afterwards, goes up the chain and gets a very high official to hear his story
(8) The NCAA will consider reopening the case if JR provides certain legal written documentation that they have asked for - which is in the process of being done

It is my hope that bloggers and news media reporters will allow the entire process to take place in a legal and official way before 'breaking' any more "JR fails drug testing" articles.

If I was a player and that had happened to me I would have called the police and made a report, then called the coach to let him know of the incident. Giving someone an illegal substance without that persons knowledge is a crime! Being a nark and being drugged are 2 different situations.

The old, I didnt know it was a weed brownie excuse. C'mon, anyone who's ever eaten edibles knows they smell and taste pretty strongly of pot. I'm not buying this as an excuse at all. Marijuana should NOT be against the rules/law, especially to the tune of missing half of a season. But it is what it is, and if you test positive then you deserve the consequences regardless of how ridiculous they are. Just man up, say you made a mistake and come back halfway through the season and lock guys down.

Hope this gets appealed. It should be. If a kid drinks spiked punch at a dance, do you suspend him for being drunk? The logical answer to that question is no. Not much logic in the NCAA though. Too bad we aren't in the SEC, would have been swept under the rug...

Who eats a random brownie that is given to them? Who gave it to him? Why no names? Did JR give you a name? Did that person go to the NCAA appeal hearing?

Sounds like an excuse from a guy who just messed up his senior year and isn't taking responsibility for it. Lots of holes in that story that could be filled if it's the truth. I'm guessing he got blazed on his birthday and the random test surprised him. Not a big deal at all except that it's against NCAA rules. I feel bad for your son but you can't possibly buy this story, can you?

NorthwestFresh said:
Who eats a random brownie that is given to them? Who gave it to him? Why no names? Did JR give you a name? Did that person go to the NCAA appeal hearing?

Sounds like an excuse from a guy who just messed up his senior year and isn't taking responsibility for it. Lots of holes in that story that could be filled if it's the truth. I'm guessing he got blazed on his birthday and the random test surprised him. Not a big deal at all except that it's against NCAA rules. I feel bad for your son but you can't possibly buy this story, can you?

Unrelated to this case, but you'd be surprised about what some parents would "buy".

Do.... do people actually believe this?

You don't just eat a weed brownie and not know it. And let me guess, "he doesn't know who gave him the brownie", so tracing it back is hopeless.

It's a little sad that a boy's father will help defend this bold faced lie instead of teaching his kid to have a little integrity. FFS

5c332710b6225e10d584e0ba672d7593d4ffbf54dd4e5c0b32203c0f3673a3b2.jpg

Fact is, none of us know the truth and what is the real story. JR is the only one who knows whatever the truth is. It is a shame some of us cannot support the kid, or at the very least take some credence that his father's story is a possibility.

I think we have learned over the years to not jump to conclusions and it is best to let everything play out. With that said, I support JR either way and wish him the best. If, this story is true, then he should not be suspended, and whoever gave him a "bad" brownie needs to be run through the legal process. To my knowledge, JR has no past transgressions of any kind. Either way, that should be considered.

If he is guilty of this, then let's chalk it up to being a young adult who made a stupid decision, and learn from it. God forbid, a young adult experiment with Marijuana. I am not a user of it, but honestly feel it should be 100% legalized everywhere. To Jr's father, please know there are GRIZ fans who will not think less of JR, and support him.

Personally, I am not passing judgement one way or other on this, until after we know more and this plays out.

With all due respect it (personally) doesn't concern me a whole lot how it got in his system. Just seems like the punishment is very harsh for this day and age.

Here's the Deal. UM ain't Ol Miss and JR ain't Tunsil. The NCAA will dock JR six games. They won't do Jack at OL Miss

mtgrizrule said:
Fact is, none of us know the truth and what is the real story. JR is the only one who knows whatever the truth is. It is a shame some of us cannot support the kid, or at the very least take some credence that his father's story is a possibility.

I think we have learned over the years to not jump to conclusions and it is best to let everything play out. With that said, I support JR either way and wish him the best. If, this story is true, then he should not be suspended, and whoever gave him a "bad" brownie needs to be run through the legal process. To my knowledge, JR has no past transgressions of any kind. Either way, that should be considered.

If he is guilty of this, then let's chalk it up to being a young adult who made a stupid decision, and learn from it. God forbid, a young adult experiment with Marijuana. I am not a user of it, but honestly feel it should be 100% legalized everywhere. To Jr's father, please know there are GRIZ fans who will not think less of JR, and support him.

Personally, I am not passing judgement one way or other on this, until after we know more and this plays out.

No shit. Will the weren't there conclusion jumpers ever learn?

mtgrizrule said:

well said

Here. Take this brownie home and eat it later. It's really good. Does that sound plausible? If someone gives you a brownie at a party it's with the intent you eat it now. Not take it home. If you take it home to eat later it's because it's a hash brownie.

2 cents. That said the penalty does not fit the crime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Allezchat said:
Here. Take this brownie home and eat it later. It's really good. Does that sound plausible? If someone gives you a brownie at a party it's with the intent you eat it now. Not take it home. If you take it home to eat later it's because it's a hash brownie.

2 cents. That said the penalty does not fit the crime.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I certainly don't know what actually transpired and I honestly think the punishment is a bit harsh even if he knowingly smoked weed. Story is it was a gift basket (for his birthday) with many items in it, the "baked" good was just one of them. (pun intended)

I'm skeptical of this version of events but should JRs version be true, what it amounts to is he ingested something unknowingly because of another parties actions. Not saying that actually happened, but hey, innocent until....

Best thing that could happen is for someone to step up and say "Hey, that was me, I put that in there and didn't tell him what was in it."

I'd take the fall but I'm not much of a baker. Anyone?

Back