• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz top FCS in attendance for second-straight season

UMGriz75

Griz top FCS in attendance for second-straight season

For the second-straight season and the fifth time in the last decade, the Montana Grizzlies football team has packed in more fans than any other program in FCS football, and in 2015 dew more fans than 44 FBS programs as well.

The Grizzlies averaged 24,139 fans per-game over the course of a seven-game home slate last year, for a total of 168,975 according to an annual NCAA report. That's over 16 percent of Montana's population according to the latest US Census Bureau estimates.

When compared to the Football Bowl Subdivision, Montana drew more average attendance than over 34 percent of the 128 total FBS programs, including seven teams from the regionally comparative Mountain West Conference.

If the FCS and FBS average attendance lists were combined, the Grizzlies would rank just below Colorado State, who drew an average of 24,917 to their six home games last season, and just above New Mexico, who averaged 23,528 fans over the course of eight home games.

UM drew an average of 362 more fans per game in 2015 as compared to one year ago, when the Griz averaged 23,777.
http://www.gogriz.com/news/2016/5/19/football-griz-top-fcs-in-attendance-for-second-straight-season.aspx

I am proud of the fact that our Griz nuts crowd into the stadium for every game and the notion we lead the country is fantastic plus the fans make the games even more fun!
Thanks to 75 for obtaining all the information. A great time to be a Griz!

Only 2 other Big Sky teams made the top 30. Despite the GRIZ leading the nation, the conference average was just over 9k per game???? Goes to show how pathetic attendance is outside of Montana. EWU was 3rd in the conference, around 9,500 per game. The Big Sky and much of the FCS is a joke when it comes to fan support.

mtgrizrule said:
Only 2 other Big Sky teams made the top 30. Despite the GRIZ leading the nation, the conference average was just over 9k per game???? Goes to show how pathetic attendance is outside of Montana. EWU was 3rd in the conference, around 9,500 per game. The Big Sky and much of the FCS is a joke when it comes to fan support.

Congrats Griz Nation!

And yep. UM has no business at this level. And certainly not in this conference.

mtgrizrule said:
I think you are looking at this wrong - 8 - 9,000 is very good support for FCS level teams. Under 2500 is pathetic attendance for FCS, but 7 - 14,000 is good. There are a few teams like UM, MSU and James Madison that have fan bases (but not necessarily the institutional support) to be at a higher level, and that makes the rest of FCS look bad, but truly 4 - 8,000 per game is what FCS is supposed to be.

UM and MSU combined averaged almost 45k per game. Pretty impressive for a state that can't afford a single FBS team.

Lot’s of interesting stuff in that NCAA attendance report. In case you were wondering what conferences beat out the Big Sky, here’s part of the list:
Code:
 1. SWAC  12,823
 2. MVFC  10,916
 3. BSC    9,877
 4. OHV    9,077
 5. CAA    9,006
13. NEC    2,662
FWIW, the Big Sky averaged closer to ten thousand, not "just over 9k" per game.

But if you want to talk pathetic, let’s pick on the Northeastern Conference. Their average attendance is almost certainly smaller than the number of people who are still drinking at halftime -- and therefore not back in their seats -- for a Griz game.

FYI, Saint Francis (PA), a member of the NEC and first 2016 opponent for the Griz, averaged 1,582 for their home games in 2015. They have, however, played in front of some big crowds in the past couple of years: twice at Youngstown State (14,854 home average) and once at James Madison (19,498). So a WaGriz crowd may be a shock to them, but not something they haven't encountered before.

mtgrizrule said:

Always look on the bright side of life :lol:

App State attendance has not reached pre-FBS levels yet - they drew 25K average in 2013 (last year before announcement. Only 21.5K this year. Playing Thursday night games doesn't help.

dbackjon said:
App State attendance has not reached pre-FBS levels yet - they drew 25K average in 2013 (last year before announcement. Only 21.5K this year. Playing Thursday night games doesn't help.
Playing Thursday nights wouldn't help UM either.

I thought it was interesting (and probably almost predictable) that the Missoulian buried a positive story about Griz football on the back page of the sports section.

The "new" (soon-to-be) Big Sky football member, University of Idaho, averaged 11,653 in attendance in 2015. That would put them a distant third behind UM and MSU and only a couple thousand ahead of EWU. Gonna be interesting to see what their attendance looks like next year, now that they've announced their move down.

IdaGriz01 said:
The "new" (soon-to-be) Big Sky football member, University of Idaho, averaged 11,653 in attendance in 2015. That would put them a distant third behind UM and MSU and only a couple thousand ahead of EWU. Gonna be interesting to see what their attendance looks like next year, now that they've announced their move down.
I would guess it goes up. They will win more and fans like to see their team win.

Yukon said:
IdaGriz01 said:
I would guess it goes up. They will win more and fans like to see their team win.
You may well be right ... in the long run.

But actually, I was thinking about next year. Looking over their schedule, I'm guessing they go 5-7 overall. They play MSU, Troy, NMSU, So Alabama and Georgia State at home. By the time they play Troy for their second home game, they're likely to be 1-3 ... assuming they can beat the kitties in their opening home game. At home, they have a tolerable chance to beat Troy, which has been about as bad as they are. Also, really die-hard fans (assuming UI has any such) might show up hoping the Vandals can win, so they can thumb their noses at the conference that's dumped them. But there's not going to be much to encourage the "casual" fan to turn out.

They have two winnable home games at the end of the season, but by then they're apt to be 3-7 with absolutely nothing to look forward to. I'm guessing their average attendance will fall below 10,000 ... and maybe a lot below that.

I wonder what the average BSC attendance would be without UM and MSU. Stop traffic, because I think it would be a whopping 7,199, which would rank the BSC (I believe) 10th out of 13 FCS conferences.

I expect Cal Poly's numbers will be up in 2016. Home games against Montana, EWU and UC Davis should all be sell outs. My guess is Cal Poly will average over 10,000 in 2016.

CDAGRIZ said:
I wonder what the average BSC attendance would be without UM and MSU. Stop traffic, because I think it would be a whopping 7,199, which would rank the BSC (I believe) 10th out of 13 FCS conferences.
Take the top two teams out of any conference and the numbers for the conference will drop dramatically.

SloStang said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Take the top two teams out of any conference and the numbers for the conference will drop dramatically.

Do you really think that's true? Definitely not for the P5. Maybe you mean just FCS. I could see some truth to that, but I would be surprised if the drop would be as precipitous as in our conference. For the record, I am very happy SLO joined this conference.

CDAGRIZ said:
SloStang said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Do you really think that's true? Definitely not for the P5. Maybe you mean just FCS. I could see some truth to that, but I would be surprised if the drop would be as precipitous as in our conference. For the record, I am very happy SLO joined this conference.
Yes, I was talking about FCS conferences, but it even hold true in some P5 conferences. Take the Big 10. They averaged 65,998 as a conference. Take out the top two teams , Michigan at 110,168 and Ohio State at 107,244 and the conference average drops to 58,880. The top 7 teams in the Big 10 averaged 88,575. The bottom 7 teams averaged 42,995. Top in the conference was Michigan at 110,168 compared to Northwestern at 33,366.

Back