• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Will this be the year?

getgrizzy

When you win 12 straight conference championships and 15 out of 17, but then follow it with 0 in 6 years you have to start wondering when the next one will happen. I think we have a shot this year, but a lot of teams do.

Griz will have a shot this year, but will only be stronger and better all around in 2017 and beyond. The future is still bright.

getgrizzy said:
When you win 12 straight conference championships and 15 out of 17, but then follow it with 0 in 6 years you have to start wondering when the next one will happen. I think we have a shot this year, but a lot of teams do.

We won it in 2011. Don't let facts (and the NCAA's BS ruling) get in the way of a good rant though.

AZGrizFan said:
getgrizzy said:

We won it in 2011. Don't let facts (and the NCAA's BS ruling) get in the way of a good rant though.

His facts may not be totally accurate, but anyone should get the point. Our program is shell of what is was for 20 years. And, it will not get any better in 2016. We are too young at too many critical positions. However, if we can find a serviceable QB, we should be very good in 2017, and hopefully will re-establish ourselves as the king pin of the Big Sky Conference, and one of the elite national FCS programs once again.

getgrizzy said:

IMO I see EWU and NAU as the top two contenders with UM, PSU, and UND in the mix. UND's schedule is VERY favorable for them. Poly, Weber, and MSU I wouldn't count out either.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
AZGrizFan said:
getgrizzy said:

His facts may not be totally accurate, but anyone should get the point. Our program is shell of what is was for 20 years. And, it will not get any better in 2016. We are too young at too many critical positions. However, if we can find a serviceable QB, we should be very good in 2017, and hopefully will re-establish ourselves as the king pin of the Big Sky Conference, and one of the elite national FCS programs once again.

Great post. Maybe Gus will do it or at least get the Griz back on the right path by having a decent year. I do think that getting back to dominating the BSC should be the premier goal and shooting for 2017 as a time frame is certainly realistic. The main thing that I like about Stitt is that he addresses the weak areas of the team. He's not afraid to bring in outside talent to get better. That is something that is
different from the previous coaching group.....For me, that's a good sign.

Quarterbacking will be better, and good, but there will be a huge drop off in receivers. Running backs will be better and deeper, but still not great. How much will the o-line improve? I believe it will, but who knows. D-line will not have Holmes, but should be credible or good, or maybe even very good depending in part on transfers. There is no way the linebackers will be as good as in prior years. They may have talent and potential, but they are young and unproven and have little experience. Secondary will not be as good, unless the bundle of transfers are very good, include more corner help and come together. They may. Is there a kicker better than Greenberg? He was credible when he played some 2 years ago. I assume he's better now. The others I noticed in spring practice weren't very good. Is there even a punter on the team? Assume the returners will be good, or at least pretty good. Maybe better. Coaches will have more experience together and with the offense. People say good things about the DC. I wonder if a new DC and changes in the D, and some 3-4, can be instituted immediately, including with numerous new players coming on board in the spring and summer.

I look forward to the season, whether good, great, or not so great. Sport is more about playing the game, how the game is played, and the fun and excitement of a new year and new players, than winning, in my view. Winning is great and fun, but there is great value and fun in playing the game hard and well, even if the games are not won.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
AZGrizFan said:
getgrizzy said:

I predict we have a better conference record in 2016 than we did in 2015.

PlayerRep said:
Quarterbacking will be better, and good, but there will be a huge drop off in receivers. Running backs will be better and deeper, but still not great. How much will the o-line improve? I believe it will, but who knows. D-line will not have Holmes, but should be credible or good, or maybe even very good depending in part on transfers. There is no way the linebackers will be as good as in prior years. They may have talent and potential, but they are young and unproven and have little experience. Secondary will not be as good, unless the bundle of transfers are very good, include more corner help and come together. They may. Is there a kicker better than Greenberg? He was credible when he played some 2 years ago. I assume he's better now. The others I noticed in spring practice weren't very good. Is there even a punter on the team? Assume the returners will be good, or at least pretty good. Maybe better. Coaches will have more experience together and with the offense. People say good things about the DC. I wonder if a new DC and changes in the D, and some 3-4, can be instituted immediately, including with numerous new players coming on board in the spring and summer.

I look forward to the season, whether good, great, or not so great. Sport is more about playing the game, how the game is played, and the fun and excitement of a new year and new players, than winning, in my view. Winning is great and fun, but there is great value and fun in playing the game hard and well, even if the games are not won.

The "huge drop off in receivers" is only an unknown. We don't KNOW if there's going to be a huge drop off. This crop could actually be better. time will tell.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

The "huge drop off in receivers" is only an unknown. We don't KNOW if there's going to be a huge drop off. This crop could actually be better. time will tell.

You may not know, but many people who went to scrimmages and practices and asked around do. While there are some new guys with nice potential, here and coming, the fact remains that they don't come close to measuring up to how Jones, Henderson, Roberts and others performed last season. Maybe someday, but not next fall. Jeez, look at how many of the top 7 or 8 receivers from last fall are no longer here. Almost all of them. There is one good returning starter. Now tell us who is going to approach being as good as Jones, Henderson and Roberts.

Actually none of us knows how good we will be this coming year.

Guess? OK. The fun thing is we could be very very good and most of us hope so. None of us wants to be a loser and at the bottom of the pack but that could occur.

My guess is we will win about 80% of our games. Another guess is we make the play-offs. My HOPE is we win the entire thing.

Watching all the new guys improve will be my favorite thing to see. Go da Griz+

PlayerRep said:

I believe this to be an accurate summation of our team, with is one exception and p.r. touched on it.....the qb (gus) could be very very good, he has the tools himself to take a team on his back....it remains to be seen if his overthrows improve etc, imo the leadership, intelligence and physical ability are there....just my opinion,,,,go griz !

PlayerRep said:

I liked this post until I got to the last paragraph. I suppose some find value and joy in simply fielding a team. But, that is not enough in college athletics today. Perhaps it was some years ago, I don't know. First, we all know coaches lose their jobs if they do not win consistently. Second, we all know the expectation level of our program is high. We expect the Griz to compete to WIN. Do you think if Stitt finishes the next two/three seasons at around 8-4, squeaks into the playoffs, and even wins a couple of games, our fan base would be content? I don't. I think the admin would be under intense pressure to fire him. It is about winning - not trying hard to do so. Look no further than Ron Ash----and THAT happened in bozeman.

CV Griz Fan said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
AZGrizFan said:
getgrizzy said:

Great post. Maybe Gus will do it or at least get the Griz back on the right path by having a decent year. I do think that getting back to dominating the BSC should be the premier goal and shooting for 2017 as a time frame is certainly realistic. The main thing that I like about Stitt is that he addresses the weak areas of the team. He's not afraid to bring in outside talent to get better. That is something that is
different from the previous coaching group.....For me, that's a good sign.

Psssst! Don't burst Wally's bubble. He just wishes we could find a way to play all three serviceable QBs at the same time, so the playing field would look like a Star Wars video game.

SoldierGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

I liked this post until I got to the last paragraph. I suppose some find value and joy in simply fielding a team. But, that is not enough in college athletics today. Perhaps it was some years ago, I don't know. First, we all know coaches lose their jobs if they do not win consistently. Second, we all know the expectation level of our program is high. We expect the Griz to compete to WIN. Do you think if Stitt finishes the next two/three seasons at around 8-4, squeaks into the playoffs, and even wins a couple of games, our fan base would be content? I don't. I think the admin would be under intense pressure to fire him. It is about winning - not trying hard to do so. Look no further than Ron Ash----and THAT happened in bozeman.

Participation trophies are the new norm for some Griz fans, don't you know? With the tremendous recruiting advantages we enjoy, anything other than a deep playoff run every year is unacceptable to me.

krammer said:
PlayerRep said:

I believe this to be an accurate summation of our team, with is one exception and p.r. touched on it.....the qb (gus) could be very very good, he has the tools himself to take a team on his back....it remains to be seen if his overthrows improve etc, imo the leadership, intelligence and physical ability are there....just my opinion,,,,go griz !

Just curious as to the tools you say that Gus has to "take the team on his back"? If he has them, where is he hiding them?

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

You may not know, but many people who went to scrimmages and practices and asked around do. While there are some new guys with nice potential, here and coming, the fact remains that they don't come close to measuring up to how Jones, Henderson, Roberts and others performed last season. Maybe someday, but not next fall. Jeez, look at how many of the top 7 or 8 receivers from last fall are no longer here. Almost all of them. There is one good returning starter. Now tell us who is going to approach being as good as Jones, Henderson and Roberts.

Okay, coach. Tell me Nostradamus, did you KNOW how good Roberts was going to be before he played in an actual game?

Atlanta Griz1 said:
krammer said:
PlayerRep said:

Just curious as to the tools you say that Gus has to "take the team on his back"? If he has them, where is he hiding them?

"What is,'The same place Atlanta should pull his head out of', Alex".

Back