• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Academic Center Pays Off

UMGriz75

While past performance may not necessarily be a predictor of future results, the initial returns on Montana's investment in its year-old student-athlete academic center, which had nearly 14,000 visits during the school year, is already paying out record numbers.

Montana's 305 student-athletes had an average GPA of 3.17 for the 2016 spring semester, the best term in the record-keeping era, which dates back to the 1999 fall semester, all while taking an average course load of 14.1 credits.

That successful term bumped those student-athletes' average cumulative GPA to 3.2, also a record and the 22nd consecutive semester that metric has been 3.0 or better, dating back to the 2005 fall semester.
http://www.gogriz.com/news/2016/5/24/general-new-academic-center-already-providing-returns.aspx

:thumb:

Now THAT is something to be really proud of! A couple of highlights:
* Though his team was one of two that had a semester GPA below 3.0, first-year football coach Bob Stitt's emphasis on academics is being felt. His team had a term GPA of 2.95, the best on record.

* A year and a half ago, the Montana men's track and field program had never had a semester GPA of 3.0. Now coach Brian Schweyen's Grizzlies have made it three straight terms above a 3.0, with a program-record 3.15 for the spring.
Yes, I know all about "grade inflation," but those are pretty damned impressive numbers, even in that context.

Congratulations to all of the STUDENT-athletes at UM! They are excelling at their highest priority (academics) as well as their second-highest priority (athletics). It's a great time to be a Griz student-athlete. And I love that UM is filled with coaches and staff who understand the life-long importance of academic success and make it a such a priority.

Go Griz!! :clap:

I was talking with Brian Doyon (VB coach) about the Academic Center and its his opinion. He said, in just over a half a year, the VB team's GPA went from 3.14 to 3.56! That is amazing! Congrats to the U and the student athletes

firmgriz said:
Congratulations to all of the STUDENT-athletes at UM! They are excelling at their highest priority (academics) as well as their second-highest priority (athletics). It's a great time to be a Griz student-athlete. And I love that UM is filled with coaches and staff who understand the life-long importance of academic success and make it a such a priority.

Go Griz!! :clap:

:thumb:

This is GREAT news IMO. There no doubt will be FULL BLOWN, front page, lead story coverage of this very POSITIVE news by ALL of the media. RIGHT?

The concept is a terrific one, and permits "athletics" to be an additional pathway (rather than an obstacle) to obtaining a good higher education.

I have had student-athletes come to UM who, literally, could not do math. English was only their second language, something resembling a cross between English and Gibberish their first. Hawaii is apparently notorious as a poor high school learning environment, that trying to "excel" is too "white" and so even the "white kids" adopt what are, there, cultural norms which are that academic achievement is practically viewed as arrogance personified and so as a kid in high school, "achievement" is to be avoided at all cost, in order to be "cool."

So I had one from Hawaii (yes, I recruited him).

Imagine, sitting across a table from an 18 year old athlete, best in his national sport division, and trying to explain, literally, basic geometric proofs. And he's a smart kid, he's not stupid at all. He just doesn't know anything. He's not skilled with multiplication. He has no idea how to graphically do either long division or short division. He had a calculator, but he had no idea what the calculator was actually doing. And he could do very little without the calculator. He stared at a Pickett Slide Rule as an alien machine, obviously delivered through a Star Gate, a complete mystery speaking a language he could not comprehend. And this was true to some extent for kids from a variety of geographical locations.

So, this Academic Center puts these kids, literally, in a room where "academic achievement" is, possibly for the first time in their lives, a positive goal. Tutoring, right there on the spot. And while "tutoring" is often looked down upon, its necessary for these young people with handicapped social backgrounds. "Smart" doesn't mean "prepared," and tutoring is exactly that necessary thing to efficiently bridge the gap.

And the location is extraordinary. This is one of those continuing marvels at UM where the interplay of facilities offers a synergistic effect. The Kid can walk from practice, or take a break from practice, and go study. Right there. The time demands on student-athletes are high as it is, and this maximizes the efficiency of their use of their time for the most important purpose -- education.

So, these results are just terrific. It works!

There has been no better time to be a student-athlete at the University of Montana.

Not ONE SINGLE WORD about it in today's Missoulian.

Bob Meseroll and AJ Mazzolini need to be called out for irresponsible "journalism". At least Kyle Sample sent a tweet about the basketball team's academic performance.

The rag that is the Missoulian is so quick to jump on negative news, but would never report something positive. Pathetic.

UMGriz75 said:
The concept is a terrific one, and permits "athletics" to be an additional pathway (rather than an obstacle) to obtaining a good higher education.

I have had student-athletes come to UM who, literally, could not do math. English was only their second language, something resembling a cross between English and Gibberish their first. Hawaii is apparently notorious as a poor high school learning environment, that trying to "excel" is too "white" and so even the "white kids" adopt what are, there, cultural norms which are that academic achievement is practically viewed as arrogance personified and so as a kid in high school, "achievement" is to be avoided at all cost, in order to be "cool."

Imagine, sitting across a table from an 18 year old athlete, best in his national sport division, and trying to explain, literally, basic geometric proofs. And he's a smart kid, he's not stupid at all. He just doesn't know anything. He's not skilled with multiplication. He has no idea how to graphically do either long division or short division. He had a calculator, but he had no idea what the calculator was actually doing. And he could do very little without the calculator. He stared at a Pickett Slide Rule as an alien machine, obviously delivered through a Star Gate, a complete mystery speaking a language he could not comprehend. And this was true to some extent for kids from a variety of geographical locations.

So, this Academic Center puts these kids, literally, in a room where "academic achievement" is, possibly for the first time in their lives, a positive goal. Tutoring, right there on the spot. And while "tutoring" is often looked down upon, its necessary for these young people with handicapped social backgrounds. "Smart" doesn't mean "prepared," and tutoring is exactly that necessary thing to efficiently bridge the gap.

And the location is extraordinary. This is one of those continuing marvels at UM where the interplay of facilities offers a synergistic effect. The Kid can walk from practice, or take a break from practice, and go study. Right there. The time demands on student-athletes are high as it is, and this maximizes the efficiency of their use of their time for the most important purpose -- education.

There has been no better time to be a student-athlete at the University of Montana.

Good post 75. Loooooong, but good. Particularly agree with the bold.

Puddles the Clown said:

Bob Meseroll and AJ Mazzolini need to be called out for irresponsible "journalism". At least Kyle Sample sent a tweet about the basketball team's academic performance.

The rag that is the Missoulian is so quick to jump on negative news, but would never report something positive. Pathetic.

Noticed this as well. I was hoping to see an expansion of the story today, and admit I was disappointed when I found zero printed.

My guess is they are busy covering hs spring sports championships...hoping for something in the next day or 2.

Still nothing in the Missoulian today - at least online.

They sure were quick to a story when Nelson's drug test was revealed...

Starting to piss me off....again.

UMGriz75 said:

Excellent post 75! The UM officials that made the Spring Tour stop in Sidney were rightly proud of that accomplishment and I am confident that the academic success of UM Student Athletes will remain strong. When the Champion's Center is complete UM Athletics will be a shining star in the Big Sky and the entire FCS. We should all be proud of what our University is accomplishing.

SoldierGriz said:
Still nothing in the Missoulian today - at least online.

They sure were quick to a story when Nelson's drug test was revealed...

Starting to piss me off....again.

+1

SoldierGriz said:
Puddles the Clown said:

Noticed this as well. I was hoping to see an expansion of the story today, and admit I was disappointed when I found zero printed.

My guess is they are busy covering hs spring sports championships...hoping for something in the next day or 2.

I'm not buying that they are "busy covering spring sports". The sports page has been 90% AP news over the last week. This is 100% a decision not to print academic news as a matter of policy. If Mazzolini's job is a "beat reporter" he needs to cover ALL news related to the programs, not just what will earn him clicks. Meseroll is as weak kneed as they come, and would never take a positive piece.

It takes a PoS human being to act like that. From what I hear of those two, that about sums it up.

Missoulian = trash.

Back