• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Why Can Southern Utah Out-Recruit Us?

Atlanta Griz1

Does it piss off any Griz fan who is weary of seeing sub-par defense back play from the Griz in the past several seasons.... that Southern Utah had two defensive backs sign with the NFL recently? At least one of them was even drafted, maybe both of them!

Now, please tell me how a team like Southern Utah can convince talented black high school D-backs to play in that glorified high school stadium, in front of 4,000 fans, in a sh*t hole town run by the Mormon church, over a hundred miles from any semblance of night life???? That is about as likely as signing Lady GaGa to sing at the Grand Ole Opry!

There are two possible reasons that So. Utah can do this:

1) they are better at evaluating high school talent than we are
2) this was a one-time phenomenon, and they got lucky with lightly-recruited players that developed into studs.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
Does it piss off any Griz fan who is weary of seeing sub-par defense back play from the Griz in the past several seasons.... that Southern Utah had two defensive backs sign with the NFL recently? At least one of them was even drafted, maybe both of them!

Now, please tell me how a team like Southern Utah can convince talented black high school D-backs to play in that glorified high school stadium, in front of 4,000 fans, in a sh*t hole town run by the Mormon church, over a hundred miles from any semblance of night life???? That is about as likely as signing Lady GaGa to sing at the Grand Ole Opry!

2) this was a one-time phenomenon, and they got lucky with lightly-recruited players that developed into studs.

Miles Killebrew is a complete stud. Delaney and TG wouldn't know what to do with that kind of safety talent. In any event, Miles was from Vegas. Cedar City Utah is only a couple of hours away. Maybe he wanted to stay close to home.

CV Griz Fan said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

Miles Killebrew is a complete stud. Delaney and TG wouldn't know what to do with that kind of safety talent. In any event, Miles was from Vegas. Cedar City Utah is only a couple of hours away. Maybe he wanted to stay close to home.

Nah, that can't be it. :lol:

SUU also has lower academic requirements. That allows them to go after some kids that could not academically qualify at bigger schools. EWU has the same advantage as do some other programs in the BSC. Jacksonville State has taken great advantage of that in Florida. When you are in the FCS that is just kind of the reality. Not saying that is the reason SUU had some top talent on defense, but it is a known advantage for them.

One or two good defensive years does not a dynasty make. Let's see them sustain this success for 7, 8, 10 years and THEN we can beat ourselves up about how we're getting beat for all the best talent.

Maybe they were Mormon. Maybe they hate places that are loud and cold. Maybe they wanted to be a big fish in a little pond. Maybe they had girl friends who went to SUU who were super hot and they did not want to leave them alone.

Copper Griz said:
Maybe they were Mormon. Maybe they hate places that are loud and cold. Maybe they wanted to be a big fish in a little pond. Maybe they had girl friends who went to SUU who were super hot and they did not want to leave them alone.
A black being a Mormon? Give me a break!! :roll:

Grizzoola said:
Copper Griz said:

Grizzoola, FYI blacks were given the ok to join the LDS church about 40 years ago.....

CV Griz Fan said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
brewskis said:
Delaney couldn't recruit. Root of a ton of issues.

I think a lot of people would disagree with you on that.

The only opinion that counts is Stitt's. What do you think he'd say?

I'm not sure. The Delaney recruits were brought in to run a different offense. I know that many thought of Delaney as a good recruiter. Green recruited a lot of the Delany recruits and Stitt is still entrusting him with an important role in the recruiting, so there is that too...

I will concede that I thought Delaney made a mistake by not recruiting more offensive lineman...

State ag out-recruits us every year in our own state. And they're f$&King pre-season champs every off-season as a result.

Grizzoola said:
Copper Griz said:

What if the University were Grambling? Somehow I think the take on this story would be much different, but we all know that some prejudices with liberal/"progressives" are just so much more acceptable while others are just so much horrible than others.

Atlanta Griz1 said:

or they had a lame schedule and got their asses kicked in the 1st round...

They were drafted on their times and heights... I bet both are home before September

Paytonlives said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

or they had a lame schedule and got their asses kicked in the 1st round...

They were drafted on their times and heights... I bet both are home before September
Nah, that couldn't be it either....lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back