• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Badlands Bowl

Richard Cranium

Any Montana's going to the game this Saturday in Dickinson ND? I'll be there cheering on the Big Sky boys. Looks like ND has a ton of beef this year. Montana's biggest player would be the 6th biggest player on the ND team. This game has been dominated by Montana.

HookedonGriz said:
Anyone have a breakdown of what Griz and Bobcat recruits will be playing?
Griz - Hardy, Maua, Rosling, Bradshaw, Letexier, Lewis.
sCats - Jobman, Tucker, Marks, Martel, Opland, Hadley, Padmos.

If I remember correctly there was a link last year where you could watch online. Anybody know if there is any validity to that?

getgrizzy said:
HookedonGriz said:

Thanks getgrizzy. Man I thought the cats owned the state so you can imagine my surprise to see 6 Griz recruits playing :D

Last time we played in Dickinson the Montana team got totally Peckered by the refs. Even some ND fans came up to me and said they were sorry. The Collins kid from Bozeman who now plays for the cats was so pissed off at a call that he slammed his helmet into the ground. It was pretty bad. I watched a few videos on some of their players and the Big guys are pretty dominating on the lines.

getgrizzy said:
HookedonGriz said:

regarding griz players,,,an article in the billings gazette was pretty clear how the defense and in particular letexier and lewis were dominate in the class B all star game.....great to be a griz....

HookedonGriz said:
getgrizzy said:
HookedonGriz said:

Thanks getgrizzy. Man I thought the cats owned the state so you can imagine my surprise to see 6 Griz recruits playing :D

Unfortunately, quantity never supersedes quality......

Atlanta Griz1 said:
HookedonGriz said:
getgrizzy said:
HookedonGriz said:

Are you implying those six aren't quality?

AZGrizFan said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
HookedonGriz said:
getgrizzy said:

Growler you gotta help me out. You've been pretty vocal about the Griz not going after MT kids and losing the battle to the Cats. Here we have what seem to be 6 very solid MT recruits who are going to be Griz. There are probably about 10-12 kids from MT who can play D1 on a good year and we got 6 of them. Are you saying these guys aren't meeting the Griz standards or your standards? Just trying to get a feel where you're coming from on this.

www.bektel.com/badlandsbowl will be live streaming the game on Saturday at 6:00pm. www.badlandsbowl.com also has links to both broadcasters.

ND has the size, Montana has the all around athletes. It's gonna be a warm night mid 80's. I feel Montana's speed will dominate on Defense. I'm so jacked up about this one. Montana in a low scoring game 17-13.

HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
HookedonGriz said:

Growler you gotta help me out. You've been pretty vocal about the Griz not going after MT kids and losing the battle to the Cats. Here we have what seem to be 6 very solid MT recruits who are going to be Griz. There are probably about 10-12 kids from MT who can play D1 on a good year and we got 6 of them. Are you saying these guys aren't meeting the Griz standards or your standards? Just trying to get a feel where you're coming from on this.

Not saying that at all. But, when Hauck/Paulsen were recruiting Montana, we got about 8 of the top 10 kids every year, and the only ones the Cats were able to sign were legacy kids or kids who wanted engineering or AG majors. Now, the Cats get 50% - 60% of the top 10. Big difference. We can quickly turn it around because of hiring 2-3 assistant coaches with strong Montana roots. But, as you know, I deal in reality, and the facts are that MSU has beaten us with in-state recruiting for at least 4-5 years. Will be interesting to see how Shann et. al. make a difference in next year's recruiting class.

Also, I have posted that our lack of a solid base of Montana kids in our starting lineup, as opposed to the Hauck era, is one of the reasons we don't seem to have that Montana pride "never-to-lose" that we used to have. In reality, out-of-state players, for the most part, are hired guns. They sign with the school who they think will give them the best chance to get to the NFL. They don't live and die Montana football like in-state kids do. When we had 8-9 Montana kids starting out of 22 starters, they set the tone and expectations for the other kids. Now, we have so few starters from Montana that this phenomenon doesn't exist any longer. That's my opinion, and I am sticking to it! I will tell you that this opinion is shared by several Ex-Griz players whom I know.

Atlanta Griz1 said:
HookedonGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

Not saying that at all. But, when Hauck/Paulsen were recruiting Montana, we got about 8 of the top 10 kids every year, and the only ones the Cats were able to sign were legacy kids or kids who wanted engineering or AG majors. Now, the Cats get 50% - 60% of the top 10. Big difference. We can quickly turn it around because of hiring 2-3 assistant coaches with strong Montana roots. But, as you know, I deal in reality, and the facts are that MSU has beaten us with in-state recruiting for at least 4-5 years. Will be interesting to see how Shann et. al. make a difference in next year's recruiting class.

Also, I have posted that our lack of a solid base of Montana kids in our starting lineup, as opposed to the Hauck era, is one of the reasons we don't seem to have that Montana pride "never-to-lose" that we used to have. In reality, out-of-state players, for the most part, are hired guns. They sign with the school who they think will give them the best chance to get to the NFL. They don't live and die Montana football like in-state kids do. When we had 8-9 Montana kids starting out of 22 starters, they set the tone and expectations for the other kids. Now, we have so few starters from Montana that this phenomenon doesn't exist any longer. That's my opinion, and I am sticking to it! I will tell you that this opinion is shared by several Ex-Griz players whom I know.

I disagree, but let's assume for a minute you're correct about MSU winning the in-state recruiting battle 'for at least 4-5 years". What has that gotten them? Zip. Zilch. Nada. They could only go 1-2 against arguably the worst coach in the program's last 30 years...a grand total of 2 playoff wins since 2010 (Montana has 4 in that span--I know, I know, not enough, but stay with me here)...5 wins TOTAL against the Griz since 1986. FIVE. And last year, down 44-22 before the Griz took their foot off the Bobcats' throat late in the 3rd. By what measure, exactly, are you so certain that MSU has "won the state" the past 4-5 years? What did Tanner Roderick accomplish? Gunnar Brekke? Connor Thomas? (And now presumably Daum?) Name 10 players from the state of Montana that play for the Bobcats right now that you think the Griz "lost" on...I can think of two. Maybe three.

And do you honestly think, for even a moment, that out of state kids are selecting Montana because they think going to Montana "will give them the best chance to get to the NFL"? You don't think it's because of the game-day atmosphere, the tradition of winning, the largest crowds in the FCS, etc., etc.? Go read some tweets from guys like Keith Thompson, Nate Harris, KVA, Kose, etc.......guys who literally BLEED Montana maroon, yet they're "not from around here". Calling those guys hired guns is a huge, gigantic slam of epic proportions. I would LOVE to see you call any one of those guys that to their face.

I hate this discussion.... been going on 15 years on Egriz and truth be told there are some posters with thier heads in the sand.

As a Griz Fan I want the coaches to sign the best possible players they can!

Once they sign the dotted line or walk on, I don't give a flying fluck where they came from... They are a Griz!

JUST ONE EXAMPLE
Lets take the kid from Troy, Sean Opland (cat signee). UM may or may not have been interested based on RB's they have and had offered. But when msu stepped in and offered a full ride, then UM looked elsewhere and stopped recruiting him. UM ended up signing Rey Green a RB from Vancouver, WA.

Lets see a player that dominated class B Montana and was the biggest kid on the field when he played, or a 3-Star RB from Washington at the 4A level...

Sorry, I'll take the kid from Washington EVERYTIME, because there is a very high probability THAT HE IS A BETTER PLAYER!

In a few years we all will know... but for now its all speculation.

The cat fans are high on Opland (no pun intended), but at the Montana Class C game last week the two Griz signees on defense (Jace Lewis & Trace LeTexier) OWNED him. So does that end the discussion? No, ONLY TIME WILL TELL.

BTW Jace Lewis & Trace LeTexier are partials and a walk-on...

If msu is killing UM in-state then where are all the cat NFL players?

Great post, PL. The Cats can beat UM at in-state recruiting all they want, who cares? It doesn't change the fact that UM has owned the Cats in every major sport for almost as long as I've been alive.

Back