• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS vs FBS, Week One (Final Cut)

Most likely upsets?

• Cal Poly at Nevada

Votes: 11 15.7%
  • EWU at Washington State

Votes: 13 18.6%
  • Jackson State at UNLV

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • Montana state at Idaho

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Northern Iowa at Iowa State

Votes: 40 57.1%
  • Richmond at Virginia

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • South Dakota at New Mexico

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • Towson at South Florida

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • Villanova at Pittsburgh

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • William & Mary at NC State

Votes: 4 5.7%

• Total voters

IdaGriz01

Time for a final weeding out of the possible upsets. For those of you late to the party, let me explain again. A total of 46 FCS teams are playing at FBS opponents to open the season, September 1-3. (Think about that … that’s about a third of the entire FCS.) As of right now, BTW, quite a few of those games are scheduled to be on ESPN3 or even on FBS conference networks.

Obviously, there was not much point in posting all those games in one big poll. (And, so far as I know, the forum software does not allow that anyway.) So I eliminated four matchups that seemed totally hopeless and divied the other 42 into six 7-team polls. I had hoped to get down to a final set of six that people judged to be the most likely. But that did not quite work. Between hatin’ on certain teams, “hope shots” and actual thoughts of an upset, I ended up with ten teams.

So, again, you are allowed two choices, and can change your votes if you learn something to change your mind. (Still looking for more comments to go with the votes.)

Game Comments
Cal Poly at Nevada: Nevada qualified (at 7-5) for a bowl game, where they got hammered. Cal Poly ended up with a poor record (4-7), but we know how tough they are and how their option attack can mess people up. This game was one of the stronger selections for an upset, although no one added much in the way of new information about either team.

Without a three-game losing streak to end the season, EWU would have had a pretty good record. And they still have Cooper Kupp, so they should bounce back. Washington State had a very good year, including a bowl win. But their big weakness is still the defense, which plays right into EWU’s strength. As suggested during the discussion on this one, a lot of EWU votes were probably “hope shots” rather than realistic expectations of an upset.

Jackson State was pretty bad (3-8) last year, so this does not look good for them. They have a new head coach, but at least he has 17 returning starters to work with and signings have apparently improved their overall depth. On the other sideline, UNLV was also pretty bad … one of their three wins was against Idaho State. Not sure how much the poll went for J State, versus people hatin’ (for whatever reason) on UNLV.

MSU at UI: What else to say, except: Bobcats suck! … and … Idaho blows!

Northern Iowa was strong last year, with -- as we all know -- a damn good run in the playoffs. They have 16 returning starters, including 4 of 5 starting offensive linemen. So you know they’ll be tough again. Iowa State was a crappy team last year (3-9), with way too many blow-out losses. This looks like one of the stronger possibilities for an upset. And people seemed to agree since this was probably the closest to a runaway win in its poll.

Richmond had a great year (10-4), advancing all the way to the semi-final game. They return 16 starters from that team, including two All-Americans … so they will be tough again. They will need to rebuild their running game, but they still have an All-American at QB. Virginia sucked last year at 4-8. One of those wins was a close game with William & Mary, plus they had to go into triple-OT, at home, to beat a bad Syracuse team. It’s going to take time for Coach Mendenhall (over from BYU … wonder how much $$$ he got) to turn things around. Can you say upset alert?

South Dakota at UNM surprised me a bit by winning its preliminary poll. The Coyotes were not that great last year, and now they have to break in a new coaching staff. The new guy has brought in new systems on both offense and defense. Thus, the fact that they return 9 starters on offense really does not buy them much. They do have a senior QB who is supposed to be quick on the uptake. The returning starters do include two solid running backs, so they have something to build on there. The defense returns only 4 starters from last year, which may actually be an advantage since the coaches can start with more of a “clean slate” on that side of the ball.
On the other side, UNM did go to a bowl game last year, even if they lost there to a mediocre Arizona team. They have a good young QB, who supposedly has a lot of potential and now a year of experience under his helmet. He will be protected by an experienced offensive line, which can also open some holes for some solid talent at RB. They are apparently thin on reliable receivers, so a good deal of option football is possible … and that’s the strength of their top QB. According to the numbers, UNM has depth and experience on the defensive front. And, defense is a Coach Davie specialty -- and he likes to attack on D -- so perhaps upfront pressure can offset a somewhat weak secondary. Not buying a high probability of an upset here.

Towson was another 7-4 team, with some very good wins, that had a chance to get into the FCS playoffs. They return a total of 17 starters, including the All-ACC stud running back. They will be tough again. USF had a very good year after a rocky start, but then lost in their bowl game against Western Kentucky. They have to replace most of their top offensive starters and apparently the backups did not get a lot of PT. The defense is solid but supposedly lacks experience at some key positions.

Villanova definitely had a down year, although they did pull off a nice home upset against Richmond late in the season. They blame the poor showing on the career-ending (college) injury to their stud QB early in the year, and they could be right. They are supposed to have a ton of talent coming off red-shirt years and the team is expected to compete for the CAA title. Pittsburgh had a very good year, even though they did lose their bowl game fairly decisively. But they have some major holes to fill, including on the offensive line and a WR who caught 43% of the completions for the team. The defense has a fair amount of returning talent, but is apparently very thin.

William & Mary had an very good year before losing in the second round of the playoff to another ACC team (Richmond). They return 16 starters that include a bunch of All-ACC players, but will need to fill a few holes on defense. Offense is expected to be their strength early. North Carolina State was another team that did enough to get into a bowl game and then get hammered. As a matter of fact, after a quick start against four soft touches, they went 3-6 for the rest of the season. Only one thing really stands out about the Wolfpack (and it’s about all their fans seem to talk about), and that’s their all-purpose “offensive player” Jaylen Samuels. In the past, they lined him up as TE, split-out receiver, blocking “fullback” and as downhill tailback. He scored 9 TDs as a running back, only 7 as a receiver. However, they have a brand new offensive coordinator, so who knows how he will line up this year?

Idaho is the worst program in college football. Doesn't matter WHO they're playing, they always have a chance to lose.

UNI I think finally gets over the top against Iowa State this year. Then shits the bed against the Griz.

AZGrizFan said:
Idaho is the worst program in college football. Doesn't matter WHO they're playing, they always have a chance to lose.

UNI I think finally gets over the top against Iowa State this year. Then shits the bed against the Griz.

Same 2 I chose. Similar reasoning. I do hope both fcs teams lose these games though!

No surprise that UNI over Iowa State is the top vote getter. But nobody thinks Towson has a chance against USF? (Of course, I didn't vote for them either ... but still.)

Northern Iowa still leading the way ... as you might expect.

Kinda surprised that EWU upsetting WSU seems more likely to some people than Cal Poly at Nevada. Interesting.

Well, I was going to let it ride, but I find it a bit hard to believe that no one but me thinks William & Mary has a least some chance to upset NC State. So let's get some more votes.

Bump needed.

After all, this is about football. But it's not about moving up, stupid things players (or coaches) said or did, politics in sports, or ... whatever. So let's get some more votes.

And how about some comments about the matchups? After all, most of the FCS teams that are left are pretty good -- well, not counting the kitties ;) :lol: . In fact, four of those remaining are in the top-10 in the pre-season polls and two are in the top-5.

Since the games are finally coming up, I decided to bump the “Final Cut” of my FCS-FBS upset survey poll from early. For those of you who skipped it earlier, the notion was based on the fact a total of 46 FCS teams are playing at FBS opponents to open the season, September 1-3. (Think about that … that’s about a third of the entire FCS.) As the lead comment says, I bumped four of what looked like totally hopeless cases and then ran preliminary polls to pick out the most likely upsets.

As of right now, BTW, quite a few of those games are scheduled to be on ESPN3 or even on FBS conference networks. Check it out on the ESPN chart: http://www.espn.com/college-football/schedule/_/group/81

Nice to see a slug of new votes. Has anyone changed their vote(s) due to newer information? Would like to hear about it.

Sorry i havent posted earlier. I loved this series ida. Took some thought, time, and was football relavent. I went with msu and n iowa. In reality i hope idaho wins. Want to renew that rivalry and them putting the kitties to bed starts that in my opinion. Also, that game against iowa state will give us an idea on what we will see against n iowa. They wa t to win that game so will be forced to show more than the griz will against st francis. May give us a small scouting advantage. Thanks again for your time on this.

I had never really paid that much attention to the FCS-FBS breakdown before ... until I noticed how many such matchups there were in this year's season-opening period. Turns out, there were only 18 last year (no upsets), but there were also 46 back in 2014. I also went back to 2013, when there were 32. So, according to the ESPN archives, it's actually pretty common to have a lot of these early in the season. Here in a few monutes, I'll post another poll that I think people will find interesting.

Okay, four of these top vote-getter games are coming up on Thursday night. Looks like two are on TV (if you have a DirecTV sport pack) and one is streaming on ESPN3. Here's your chance for some late thoughts and/or changes.

I went with Towson and UNI. If I could've voted for a 3rd... I think I would've added... MSU...

Back