• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Big Sky / ROOT Sports TV Contract

get'em_griz

DONOR
This season is the last season of the Big Sky's current 5-year contract with ROOT Sports, and the Big Sky is in talks with ROOT Sports to sign a new contract. I absolutely love what ROOT Sports brings to the table and their production and knowledge is better than ESPN, IMO (the only ESPN game that was better was the NDSU game with Brent Musseberger). The production quality is top notch. Most of the Big Sky will probably complain about a new TV deal and complain about not getting any air time and that it's all Montana, but until the rest of the Big Sky starts filling up their own stadiums and actually grows fan support, it's going to stay the same. I'm looking forward to this new contract with ROOT Sports.

The new commissioner does talk about streaming possibilities in the future and I'm guessing that they are discussing the possibility of it with ROOT Sports.

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/football/new-tv-deal-between-root-sports-big-sky-conference-being/article_c2650949-6611-557c-9599-fb31cc37a170.html

get'em_griz said:
This season is the last season of the Big Sky's current 5-year contract with ROOT Sports, and the Big Sky is in talks with ROOT Sports to sign a new contract. I absolutely love what ROOT Sports brings to the table and their production and knowledge is better than ESPN, IMO (the only ESPN game that was better was the NDSU game with Brent Musseberger). The production quality is top notch. Most of the Big Sky will probably complain about a new TV deal and complain about not getting any air time and that it's all Montana, but until the rest of the Big Sky starts filling up their own stadiums and actually grows fan support, it's going to stay the same. I'm looking forward to this new contract with ROOT Sports.

The new commissioner does talk about streaming possibilities in the future and I'm guessing that they are discussing the possibility of it with ROOT Sports.

http://billingsgazette.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/football/new-tv-deal-between-root-sports-big-sky-conference-being/article_c2650949-6611-557c-9599-fb31cc37a170.html

There are/were no other realistic offers. You can tell that by the statement the new commish made. And there won't be any streaming from Root, but they're open to telling everyone they're open to discuss it. You'll get nothing, and like it.

only beef I have is the lack of a stream. A lot of Montana fans live out of the area and wish to watch the game.

After reading that article though it seems our new commish is more worried about money so no stream incoming even though it's something super simple they can do

Eriul said:
only beef I have is the lack of a stream. A lot of Montana fans live out of the area and wish to watch the game.

And are willing to pay for the privilege. Until dinosaurs like me die out, & cable-cutting and alacarte viewing on whatever device you want becomes the thing, we're stuck.

bgbigdog said:
Eriul said:

And are willing to pay for the privilege. Until dinosaurs like me die out, & cable-cutting and alacarte viewing on whatever device you want becomes the thing, we're stuck.

Another missed streaming opportunity, a skill in which the Big Sky commissioners excel. Thousands of cable/satellite viewers have been cutting the cord monthly for years and moved to streaming only, and yet Root and the Big Sky can't seem to figure out a way to capture this market. Why you would think a pay to watch approach is an untried concept.

bgbigdog said:
There are/were no other realistic offers. You can tell that by the statement the new commish made. And there won't be any streaming from Root, but they're open to telling everyone they're open to discuss it. You'll get nothing, and like it.

Yep, that is my read too. They know that it is a strong desire amongst fans, but aren't going to use any leverage the conference has and risk losing Root sport's coverage.

Would love to see an ESPN3 deal similar to the agreement with the MVFC.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

grizband said:

A goodly portion of Montana does not get ESPN3, which is something of a drawback. I, for instance, can get it only on my Kindle.

grizband said:

A goodly portion of Montana does not get ESPN3, which is something of a drawback. I, for instance, can get it only on my Kindle.

I'm an out of stater. I will gladly pay a regular ticket price for streaming. I cut the cord on TV years ago.
If it happens with a new contract with Root - great. If it doesn't - I'll just read about the game the following day in the paper. Years ago we would be able to stream conference games in BSC. At that time the quality was poor. Most outside our conference travel games were streamed by the school we played. I typically paid $10 - $15 to watch a game. With Root Sports I can't stream their games. To me the UM looses $40+/- a game from fans like me for not providing the opportunity to watch a stream.

SoCal Surfer said:
I'm an out of stater. I will gladly pay a regular ticket price for streaming. I cut the cord on TV years ago.
If it happens with a new contract with Root - great. If it doesn't - I'll just read about the game the following day in the paper. Years ago we would be able to stream conference games in BSC. At that time the quality was poor. Most outside our conference travel games were streamed by the school we played. I typically paid $10 - $15 to watch a game. With Root Sports I can't stream their games. To me the UM looses $40+/- a game from fans like me for not providing the opportunity to watch a stream.

+1, $49 might be steep, but otherwise i agree

Root will not stream their games, and the University of Montana has no say in the matter. It's a league contract. And Root will not stream the games, even for a fee, because it defeats their sole purpose for carrying the games in the first place. The few hundred bucks that Root could get by streaming games is meaningless to them. What's meaningful -- and the ONLY reason they carry BSC games at all -- is to ensure that smaller cable companies in MT and ID continue to carry their station in their lineup. Then they can charge much, much more for advertising on Mariner and Sounder games, as well as Pac12 games.

Question, does any one know for sure that you can get root sports on dish network? I recently signed up to have Dish network installed at my house. It is the 120+ package, that includes local sports. The rep assured me that this does include ROOT Sports NW.
According to the missoulian article it sounds like this is exclusively with DirecTV. I told the rep that if it did not include the Big Sky conference games it would be a deal breaker. I have until the end of July to cancel, before it gets installed.

mtboy7 said:
Question, does any one know for sure that you can get root sports on dish network? I recently signed up to have Dish network installed at my house. It is the 120+ package, that includes local sports. The rep assured me that this does include ROOT Sports NW.
According to the missoulian article it sounds like this is exclusively with DirecTV. I told the rep that if it did not include the Big Sky conference games it would be a deal breaker. I have until the end of July to cancel, before it gets installed.

I have been able to get Root NW on my Dish Network package every fall for the last 4 years. I do add the extra sports pack during football season ($13/month I think) that gives me NFL Redzone as well, but Root is available during the months where I don't have that extra pack, and I think I'm on the 120+ package.

mtboy7 said:
On Dish, ROOT NW is on channel 426.

'68griz said:
grizband said:

Is SlingTV not offered in Montana? My understanding is that pretty much anyone with Internet and a streaming device can get SlingTV with ESPN3.

posted via telepathy

WAaggieFan said:
'68griz said:
grizband said:

Is SlingTV not offered in Montana? My understanding is that pretty much anyone with Internet and a streaming device can get SlingTV with ESPN3.

posted via telepathy
You can get ESPN3 with your Dish network subscription also. Just use your MyDish sign in to get access.

'68griz said:
grizband said:

ESPN3 is available on Watch ESPN which is carried on a number of platforms including Amazon Prime's online service.

Back