• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz picked 2nd in Big Sky 2016

get'em_griz

DONOR
Montana was picked to take 2nd place in the 2016 Big Sky race behind Northern Arizona.

http://www.gogriz.com/news/2016/7/19/football-griz-tabbed-as-big-sky-runner-up.aspx

1. Northern Arizona (8)....................... 287
2. Montana (7)...................................283
3. Eastern Washington (5).....................269
4. North Dakota (2).............................262
5. Portland State (3)............................252
6. Weber State...................................174
7. Southern Utah................................162
8. Montana State................................157
9. Cal Poly.........................................153
10. Northern Colorado.........................111
11. Idaho State..................................58
12. UC Davis......................................56
13. Sacramento State..........................50

In both the media and the coaches poll. Seems about right to me. NAU has a great quarterback and a lot of players returning. I think Eastern Washington will be back in the mix as well.

Pretty good respect for a team returning just two starters on defense.

Never sure about NAU. They always seem to start well and fade.

Eastern is always good. But they lost 3 straight to end the season and gave up a ridiculous 143 points in those games. Their 3 noncon games are brutal, and then they open conference season at NAU. They could be 01- 04 to start.

NoDak should have a cakewalk. But I question the talent.

PSU, well who knows. I never pick them for anything, but they were a surprise last year.

msu has returned to their more traditional Preseason Middle of the Road team.

Preseason #1 ranking = The kiss of death. I think NAU should be competitive but I'm going with either PSU or UND with winning the conference. NAU has/can win at home but haven't proven they can do so on the road. Until this changes, they wont win the league.

North Dakota is a pretender. Yeah, I know about their easy schedule, but they do not have the talent to win road games, even against weak BIg Sky teams. Defense wins, and NAU does not have a good enough defense to win the conference.

That is a lot of respect for a team that lost a lot on defense and our top 3 receivers from last season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brewskis said:
That is a lot of respect for a team that lost a lot on defense and our top 3 receivers from last season.

True, however, last years team, no matter who they are/were, never won anything the next season...

Griz will surprise this year!

Atlanta Griz1 said:
North Dakota is a pretender. Yeah, I know about their easy schedule, but they do not have the talent to win road games, even against weak BIg Sky teams. Defense wins, and NAU does not have a good enough defense to win the conference.

Can't win on the road? You mean like beating Wyoming, Portland State and Cal Poly on the road? Didn't two of those teams beat you last season? One at your own place?

Now, I'm not a fan that is going to say UND should have been a hands down preseason #1. I think that would be a little ridiculous considering we still missed the playoffs last season and have not established a real winning culture since our D2 days ... but a Pretender? Please . . .

If you can't see the improvement this team has made under Bubba, then you aren't watching anything UND related except for the MT games (and yes, I know the Grizz cleaned up against us last season). Pretty sure everyone in the Big Sky found out that UND could be exposed with the deep ball ... that and you guys had some ridiculously good receivers (also demonstrated against NDSU)

Do a little research on the improvement of this team, and the actual players.

-Going into last season we didn't think we would have any RB group. We now have Santiago, Oliveira, Nevermann and more.
-D-Line could be tops in the conference. Not saying it will be, but some serious potential here.
-Linebacker - Very deep, even with the departure of Will Ratelle.
-Corners - Only question mark on defense. Could have used the guy who committed then bolted back to MT St.
-Safety - Returning Cole Reyes, who will be a JR and an absolute stud.

-QB has been very good when healthy; depth is a question mark.
-WR biggest question mark on Offense. When health, Clive Georges showed just how good he was. Added an FBS transfer from N. Texas. Lost Seibel to injury.
-RB - No explanation required
O-Line - Looked like we were going to lose quite a bit here, but Elijah Grady ended up back on the team this summer and has serious NFL potential (Only going to be a sophomore). Also picked up a D2 transfer that will likely slide in at center.

Seriously, head over to the siouxsports.com forum, there is always a ton of chatter going on. Like I said, I'm not stating UND is where they need to be from a program standpoint, and they are certainly not where MT has been on a consistent basis, but head over there and you will learn much more about the team ... enough to know they are not pretenders.

I guess we'll have to wait for the season to start, but between a much improved (an still young) program, and the cakewalk schedule. UND has a very legit shot of finishing number 1 or 2.

siouxfan512 said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

Can't win on the road? You mean like beating Wyoming, Portland State and Cal Poly on the road? Didn't two of those teams beat you last season? One at your own place?

Now, I'm not a fan that is going to say UND should have been a hands down preseason #1. I think that would be a little ridiculous considering we still missed the playoffs last season and have not established a real winning culture since our D2 days ... but a Pretender? Please . . .

If you can't see the improvement this team has made under Bubba, then you aren't watching anything UND related except for the MT games (and yes, I know the Grizz cleaned up against us last season). Pretty sure everyone in the Big Sky found out that UND could be exposed with the deep ball ... that and you guys had some ridiculously good receivers (also demonstrated against NDSU)

-Going into last season we didn't think we would have any RB group. We now have Santiago, Oliveira, Nevermann and more.
-D-Line could be tops in the conference. Not saying it will be, but some serious potential here.
-Corners - Only question mark on defense. Could have used the guy who committed then bolted back to MT St.

-WR biggest question mark on Offense. When health, Clive Georges showed just how good he was. Added an FBS transfer from N. Texas. Lost Seibel to injury.
O-Line - Looked like we were going to lose quite a bit here, but Elijah Grady ended up back on the team this summer and has serious NFL potential (Only going to be a sophomore). Also picked up a D2 transfer that will likely slide in at center.

Seriously, head over to the siouxsports.com forum, there is always a ton of chatter going on. Like I said, I'm not stating UND is where they need to be from a program standpoint, and they are certainly not where MT has been on a consistent basis, but head over there and you will learn much more about the team ... enough to know they are not pretenders.

I guess we'll have to wait for the season to start, but between a much improved (an still young) program, and the cakewalk schedule. UND has a very legit shot of finishing number 1 or 2.

Good post, thanks.

siouxfan512 said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

Dont waste your time with this guy.. All he does is talk out of his butt. I dont think there is a poster on the board who has been wrong more times than this guy..

brewskis said:
Shouldn't you change your screen name to "fightinghawksfan"?

Haha, absolutely not. Though judging be our new logo, FightingSeagullsFan may be more appropriate.

siouxfan512 said:
brewskis said:

Haha, absolutely not. Though judging be our new logo, FightingSeagullsFan may be more appropriate.
I'm glad to hear that at least ONE thing won't change!!! Keep on keepin on!

Interesting vote, I probably would've selected UND, NAU and UM in the top 3, in that order. I do think EWU and possibly Weber are dark horse teams. SUU might sink with all that talent lost on defense. PSU, like someone else said, who knows...

Looking at UND, EWU, UM, and NAU they've got the best collection of the most talented playmakers. That doesn't guarantee anything but these types of pre-season accolades. NAU and UM have the two best QBs, NAU and EWU have the two best WRs, UND has the best running back. Weber could surprise with a stout defense, but not sure on their offense.

UND should win the Big Sky, look at their schedule:

@ Stony Brook
@ Bowling Green
vs South Dakota
@ Montana State
vs Cal Poly
@ Sac State
vs Southern Utah
@ Idaho State
vs Weber
@ UNC
vs NAU

If UND can step up and improve off their performance last season they've got a great chance for that final game, at home, against NAU to be for the conference title. NAU doesn't have the easiest schedule themselves, they've got tough road games. UND doesn't have to play the #2, #3, or #5 team based on pre-season rankings, that's a big boost.

siouxfan512 said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:

Holy crap...theres Sioux football fans???

siouxfan512 said:
brewskis said:

You are spot on with your F'N Hawks assessment, but only if you're talking Hockey. I kid I kid. Bubba has done wonders with that team and has made them very defensive-minded. We all know a great defense can keep you in any game....any. And that is what they will have again and will compete. They return some stud players, especially Santiago on the O side and Reyes on the D side. If they can get any semblance of a passing game going with Studstud at QB it will make them even more dangerous.

There is one elephant in the room you didn't bring up...your schedule. Has to be by far one of the easiest schedules in the Big Sky. You somehow will avoid the majority of the top teams in the conference so if there is a year you should be in the conference title hunt its this one.

HookedonGriz said:
siouxfan512 said:
brewskis said:

You are spot on with your F'N Hawks assessment, but only if you're talking Hockey. I kid I kid. Bubba has done wonders with that team and has made them very defensive-minded. We all know a great defense can keep you in any game....any. And that is what they will have again and will compete. They return some stud players, especially Santiago on the O side and Reyes on the D side. If they can get any semblance of a passing game going with Studstud at QB it will make them even more dangerous.

There is one elephant in the room you didn't bring up...your schedule. Has to be by far one of the easiest schedules in the Big Sky. You somehow will avoid the majority of the top teams in the conference so if there is a year you should be in the conference title hunt its this one.

Absolutely, our schedule should make it an easy in for the playoffs, if we play to our potential, and a strong shot to win the Big Sky. There is a downside to that as well. Assuming we do make the playoffs, we will not have played a lot of playoff caliber competition, which is essential in prepping for the playoffs.

Toughest competition we will have this season (unless there are surprises) is Bowling Green, South Dakota and N. Arizona. We'll see what happens.

siouxfan512 said:
HookedonGriz said:
siouxfan512 said:
brewskis said:

Absolutely, our schedule should make it an easy in for the playoffs, if we play to our potential, and a strong shot to win the Big Sky. There is a downside to that as well. Assuming we do make the playoffs, we will not have played a lot of playoff caliber competition, which is essential in prepping for the playoffs.

Toughest competition we will have this season (unless there are surprises) is Bowling Green, South Dakota and N. Arizona. We'll see what happens.

UNC could be looking at a 10-1 / 9-2 / 8-3 season... that's a lock for the playoffs conference title or not.

Last year's poll certainly turned out to be the kiss of death.

Cats top pre-season coaches poll, Griz third
By: Tom Wylie - MTN News
Connect

PARK CITY -- The battle for the 2015 Big Sky Conference football championship figures to be led by a two-horse race between Montana State and Eastern Washington, as the coaches and media were split between the two as slight favorites in the preseason polls.

The Bobcats narrowly topped the coaches' poll, while defending champion EWU ranked first in the media poll. The polls were released Tuesday at the Big Sky Summer Kickoff. Coaches were not allowed to vote for their own team.
http://www.krtv.com/story/29602574/cats-top-pre-season-coaches-poll-griz-third

Back