• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Yep, it's the annual off-season move-up thread

EverettGriz

DONOR
But this one has at least some teeth.

It's a certainty now (see link below) that the Big12 is going to expand; perhaps by four teams.

If that happens, and either Colo State or Boise is one of those teams, you'd have to think UM would be a very likely candidate for the MWC.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/07/19/big-12-expansion-news-candidates-bob-bowlsby

EG,

Please publish the 2019 and 2020 Griz schedules from the MWC site. Thanks in advance.

PS. Wonder how idaho is doing in the BSC? What a dumpster fire that place has become.

EverettGriz said:

It's a certainty now (see link below) that the Big12 is going to expand; perhaps by four teams.

If that happens, and either Colo State or Boise is one of those teams, you'd have to think UM would be a very likely candidate for the MWC.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2016/07/19/big-12-expansion-news-candidates-bob-bowlsby

The Griz will hang with the Big Sky pretty much no matter what. They are waiting for the Power 5 conferences to break apart to then eventually join the lower half of what is now FBS. At least that is what I've read between the lines over the years between conference moves and what Fullerton said prior. Just my :twocents:.

Eventually the G5 will merge with the top FCS teams to form the "new fcs". Whether we stay in the current FCS or get an invite to move up, I'm just glad we are investing in our facilities right now. Whatever happens, we will be ready.

EverettGriz said:
you'd have to think UM would be a very likely candidate for the MWC.
Why? There are many programs that would likely be called before UM, many of them already FBS.

Several things work against the Griz as a move up candidate. The first being that their best opportunity was in a window leading up to six years ago when Fresno State and Nevada joined BSU and a few other early FCS defectors in the MWC. The Griz were still an attractive prospect back then - even with the open disdain voiced by a Main Hall opposed to leaving the Big Sky Conference. Today, not so much. Since then, whether one likes to admit it or not, Montana's image has been in decline and the move up of Georgia Southern, Appy State and others who gave stature to FCS football hasn't helped. Timing in most aspects of human endeavor is paramount and George Dennison deserves the goat horns for having missed the boat when it was eager to dock in Missoula. Would have a late emerging Bobcat program have helped make a difference? Who knows...

I asked UM Volleyball coach (who came from Utah) Brian Doyon about a move up. He thought Montana could do it. Kind of a "if you do it the $$ will come". He kind of hinted that there were donors out there that are willing to help if it ever happened and if the right situation presented itself....

Fat Bruno said:
UM is shrinking. The Frontier is more likely.

The first part of your post is very valid and important. Shrinking enrollment people. Not just the U of M either. Many of the schools in the University system are struggling. MSU has got their academic house in order. Their campus and enrollment are growing rapidly. U of M needs to get it together. I am more worried about turning the enrollment numbers around than moving up. Enrollment is a serious issue.

Why don't we just add some more quality opponents to the Big Sky. Lets get NDSU, New Mexico, New Mexico State, South Dak State, Northern Iowa,etc. We could kick out Northern Colorado, Southern Utah,etc. Start developing some rivalries again in college sports. All the conference re-alignment has thrashed this. Boise State in the Big East and now UConn possibly to the Big 12--might as well make those games "The I Don't Care Bowls." UConn vs Okie St= boring or Okie St vs Colorado= more interesting.

grizfan95 said:
EverettGriz said:

The Griz will hang with the Big Sky pretty much no matter what. They are waiting for the Power 5 conferences to break apart to then eventually join the lower half of what is now FBS. At least that is what I've read between the lines over the years between conference moves and what Fullerton said prior. Just my :twocents:.
This.

GlacierGrizX said:
Why don't we just add some more quality opponents to the Big Sky. Lets get NDSU, New Mexico, New Mexico State, South Dak State, Northern Iowa,etc. We could kick out Northern Colorado, Southern Utah,etc. Start developing some rivalries again in college sports. All the conference re-alignment has thrashed this. Boise State in the Big East and now UConn possibly to the Big 12--might as well make those games "The I Don't Care Bowls." UConn vs Okie St= boring or Okie St vs Colorado= more interesting.

The only way I see NDSU and SDSU joining the Big Sky (and possibly Northern Iowa, even with their geographical outlier) is when the merge between the G5 schools and the top FCS programs goes into effect. The Big Sky already had their chance to invite NDSU and SDSU to the conference back when they were transitioning to the FCS and all Big Sky schools not named Montana and MSU said no. Until the merge happens, NDSU, SDSU and UNI are satisfied in the MVFC for now.

There will come a point when the growth trajectories of UM/MSU will be repeated in the trajectories of their sports programs … and probably soon. At that point, we become little brother in both sports and academics. This can only go on for so long. Moving up is not currently an issue … survival at a decent level may be.

Fat Bruno said:
There will come a point when the growth trajectories of UM/MSU will be repeated in the trajectories of their sports programs … and probably soon. At that point, we become little brother in both sports and academics. This can only go on for so long. Moving up is not currently an issue … survival at a decent level may be.

:roll: Good god.

Yes, as we've seen here -- in the fantasies of the never-were jocks --a good sports program increases enrollment. And being little brother in academics and enrollment is not important as long as your football team is somewhat better than the other guy's. Can this cipher do anything but post pathetic, little emojis to reflect his pathetic, little mind?

Fat Bruno said:
Yes, as we've seen here -- in the fantasies of the never-were jocks --a good sports program increases enrollment. And being little brother in academics and enrollment is not important as long as your football team is somewhat better than the other guy's. Can this cipher do anything but post pathetic, little emojis to reflect his pathetic, little mind?

Get out of L.A., trick ass!

Funneeee! Nothing like a threatened fanatic going into denial. The biggest threat to football right now -- even greater than the concussion issue -- is that kids just don't care anymore ... for the same reasons that they don't care about church, going to the mall, or getting all excited about cars, or fishing, or hunting or any of the stuff they see as passe', old man's crap ... their interests and values are changing, and at a certain point, there's a threshold and it's just old goofballs at the games trying to relive their imaginary past. You already see it at BB games. Montana's decline has been masked by the largesse of private donors and the parochialism of the local population, but that will be changing noticeably in the near future.

Back