• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Call me crazy....

dub

But I think this upcoming season the Griz will have the best defense we've ever had. The talent we'll have on the field is unbelievable. I think our coaching staff has done an amazing job in all facets. BWhahlberg can give a better synopsis of player by player but I don't remember a time we've been this stacked.

"Best we've ever had" would be quite the accomplishment. If that happens we damn well better make the NC game. I think this defense has the ability to dismantle any team in the BSC, but to really be "great" I think we'll really have to stay healthy in the secondary. We are young at safety and just really thin at corner. DL and LB is flush wish talent and depth....that front 7 will be a thing of beauty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

200_s.gif

Best ever would be huge. The 2001 defense never seemed to need much from the offense. And only needed 7 to win a national championship.

The real test will be can we stop the run. We are in a pass happy conference but a few like Cal Poly and PSU can really run the ball. If we can stop them we will have a great shot at the conference title. Additionally other conferences and teams are run heavy to balanced so when it comes time for playoffs we will know if we can stop the run.

Being the "best ever" at UM is setting the bar pretty low.

Our best ever wouldn't be in the top 5 worst at NDSU.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

DEPTH; DEPTH; DEPTH. While I'll be the first to admit we look good on paper and in pads I am very worried about depth. The depth we have in the front seven is largely untested in game situations. As was pointed out even the concept of depth in the secondary is a question.

If health can be maintained this defense has potential, but two or three key injuries could be disastrous. I know one could say that about any FCS team at any time but it seems to me that it is certainly more relevant to this team this year than any in the last two or three years.

The other issue this defense will face is chemistry, particularly if things don't go well early. UNI will be critical. If the defense plays well even in a loss then the rest of the year this defense could be dominant. If UNI runs roughshod over the defense there could be issues all year.

Here's hoping you are right, but I have some doubts.

Gaeilge1 said:
DEPTH; DEPTH; DEPTH. While I'll be the first to admit we look good on paper and in pads I am very worried about depth. The depth we have in the front seven is largely untested in game situations. As was pointed out even the concept of depth in the secondary is a question.

If health can be maintained this defense has potential, but two or three key injuries could be disastrous. I know one could say that about any FCS team at any time but it seems to me that it is certainly more relevant to this team this year than any in the last two or three years.

The other issue this defense will face is chemistry, particularly if things don't go well early. UNI will be critical. If the defense plays well even in a loss then the rest of the year this defense could be dominant. If UNI runs roughshod over the defense there could be issues all year.

Here's hoping you are right, but I have some doubts.

Dude I've already said it....34-17 Griz

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

Poppycock! The 2002 season under Babich was a disgrace.

"Being the "best ever" at UM is setting the bar pretty low.
Our best ever wouldn't be in the top 5 worst at NDSU."

He was once mounted by a buffalo and found the experience transcendent.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:

I would hope our best ever wouldn't be the 5 worst for NDSU.

Back