• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Having an adaptable defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

grizfan406

One of the take home messages about the Big Sky kickoff was how difficult it is to defend this conference. Spread em out one week and then run heavy the next and all over the board. Our conference has been known for airing it out but still has some serious ability to run.

A message that Stitt has stressed is that he wants to have an adaptable/ multiple defense. I like where his head is at and despite him being a DII coach and despite the fact that he is an "Offense guy" I think he is at least saying the right things. If he means it and can make it happen then we have a bright future.

grizfan406 said:
One of the take home messages about the Big Sky kickoff was how difficult it is to defend this conference. Spread em out one week and then run heavy the next and all over the board. Our conference has been known for airing it out but still has some serious ability to run.

A message that Stitt has stressed is that he wants to have an adaptable/ multiple defense. I like where his head is at and despite him being a DII coach and despite the fact that he is an "Offense guy" I think he is at least saying the right things. If he means it and can make it happen then we have a bright future.
He's a D-1 coach now. And he's definitely on top of things defensively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brewskis said:
grizfan406 said:

"And he's definitely on top of things defensively."

And you would know this how.......?

Atlanta Griz1 said:
brewskis said:
grizfan406 said:

Maybe he was at Reds today and was told this by three season ticket holders?

Atlanta Griz1 said:
brewskis said:
grizfan406 said:

Because Ty's biggest flaw was that he didn't adapt, Stitt found a guy who sounds like is going to address that. Additionally, our recruiting classes have looked really strong on that side of the ball.

BozAngelesGriz said:
SoldierGriz said:
:twocents: Stopping the run is the single most important thing a defense must do.

I wonder if the griz d will ever get the triple option figured out

Probably not since the only time we see it is against Poly... I suppose and somewhat PSU - but with the size of this conference we don't even play those teams every year. So it's hard to devote so much time to it, I'd guess.

I think i read way back that Haucks teams would spend a few hours every week in prep for the option. We always struggle with it. We could see it in the playoffs too. Wofford comes to mind.

I prefer a principled defense ... a defense that says, "This is how we play and no ass kicking, no number of touchdowns, no storm of field goals and no flurry of 99 yard runbacks will deter us from our beliefs."

Well, if the Defense this year can match last year's Griz, at least in passing defense, they will have something to brag about. Statistically, UM was tied for the best in the conference.

Pass_Defense.jpg

UMGriz75 said:
Well, if the Defense this year can match last year's Griz, at least in passing defense, they will have something to brag about. Statistically, UM was tied for the best in the conference.

Pass_Defense.jpg
Pass defense was great last season. We had strong corners and Tyronne Holmes, that combination just kind of got the job done by themselves.

Cal Poly was certainly a "run" team. Cal Poly is the first column, UM is the second.

Cal_Poly.jpg

That being said, look at the relative adjustments coming into the second half. UM's Defense obviously made the correct adjustments; no touchdowns for Cal; a very good adjustment against a "run" team. UM's Offense: flat on its face the third Q.

Cal_Polyby_Quarters.jpg

Keys to stopping the triple option: Hope you can run up the score enough to force them to start passing more than they run the option.

Three interceptions to the same player & a veritable plethora of over-throws kept the Griz from outscoring CPSLO. Selling out to keep the ball in-bounds on the last drive was another option. But I digress...

brewskis said:
Atlanta Griz1 said:
brewskis said:
grizfan406 said:

Because Ty's biggest flaw was that he didn't adapt, Stitt found a guy who sounds like is going to address that. Additionally, our recruiting classes have looked really strong on that side of the ball.

Did you just make up the biggest flaw/didn't adapt statement? What basis do you have for that statement.

Looking at scoring by half for season:

Opponents scored 181 in the first half, and 136 in the second half. That indicates that the defense did in fact adapt.

Check out the offensive stats by half. UM scored 234 in the first half, and 141 in the second half. Hum.

The priority for Stitt is going to be stopping the run. He doesn't want to see the opposing team eat up the clock with long drives. The DL transfers and the last recruiting class supports that as well. He would rather see a QB throw for 300+ yards than have someone run 30 times for 150 yards on us. Ty's philosophy of emphasizing the pass rush just doesn't jive.

brewskis said:
The priority for Stitt is going to be stopping the run. He doesn't want to see the opposing team eat up the clock with long drives. The DL transfers and the last recruiting class supports that as well. He would rather see a QB throw for 300+ yards than have someone run 30 times for 150 yards on us. Ty's philosophy of emphasizing the pass rush just doesn't jive.
Cal Poly first column, all opponents last season, second column
Cal_Poly_Opponents.jpg

Cal Poly averaged offense of 479 yards last season, mostly running. Ty's Defense kept them to 386 yards, far below Cal Poly's average.

Cal Poly's Offense offered opponents an average of 458 yards. Stitt's Offense got just 469 yards; about Cal Poly's Defense average. We offered only an "average" Offense. At that average, however, Cal Poly did not have a good season, 4-7 in conference play. Playing "average" and offering an "average" Defense should have beat them. Playing "average" and with an outstanding "Defense" should have beat Cal Poly decisively. Ty understood stopping "run" strategies. He proved it there. That was not the problem in that game.

UMGriz75 said:
brewskis said:
Cal_Poly_Opponents.jpg

Cal Poly averaged offense of 479 yards last season, mostly running. Ty's Defense kept them to 386 yards, far below Cal Poly's average.

Cal Poly's Offense offered opponents an average of 458 yards. Stitt's Offense got just 469 yards; about Cal Poly's Defense average. We offered only an "average" Offense. At that average, however, Cal Poly did not have a good season, 4-11 in conference play. Playing "average" and offering an "average" Defense should have beat them. Playing "average" and with an outstanding "Defense" should have beat Cal Poly decisively. Ty understood stopping "run" strategies. He proved it there. That was not the problem in that game.
I agree, our offense turned the ball over and couldn't punch it in in the red zone. No argument there.

brewskis said:
UMGriz75 said:
brewskis said:
Cal_Poly_Opponents.jpg

Cal Poly's Offense offered opponents an average of 458 yards. Stitt's Offense got just 469 yards; about Cal Poly's Defense average. We offered only an "average" Offense. At that average, however, Cal Poly did not have a good season, 4-11 in conference play. Playing "average" and offering an "average" Defense should have beat them. Playing "average" and with an outstanding "Defense" should have beat Cal Poly decisively. Ty understood stopping "run" strategies. He proved it there. That was not the problem in that game.
I agree, our offense turned the ball over and couldn't punch it in in the red zone. No argument there.

Do you also agree that the defense made good adjustments at halftime, gave up only 2 FG's in the second half, held CP to about 100 yards less than its average, and played well enough for UM to win the game (had the offense provided even reasonable help), and that your general premise on the defense and TG is not supported by the facts (at least in this game).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back