• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Niekamp Quote on Backers

HookedonGriz

DONOR
Loved this quote from out LB Coach. Seems the UM continues to be LB U......

"Now the younger guys aren't too far behind 'em in that regard, but with reps comes experience," Niekamp said. "I'm excited about the depth. We've got a lot of good depth, it's not fake depth. I wouldn't have an issue running seven guys out there playing in a football game right now."

Full article in the Missoulian

http://missoulian.com/sports/colleg...cle_0c3864ab-fcf8-5efa-a819-c7df35b44134.html

Montana football coach Bob Stitt preached unity this offseason in preparation for his second campaign leading the Grizzlies. Now that was in reference to his offense and defense working more seamlessly together.

The Griz linebackers found their own way to express homogeneity: at the barber shop.

"(Connor) Strahm and I figured we'd mess around, have a little fun, and we started convincing some other people to do it," began outside linebacker Josh Buss. "We kind of got a little Mohawk gang going now."

Hair styles aside, a linebacking unit tasked with replacing all three starters and four seniors in total has gelled as well as could have been hoped so far in 2016. The men in the middle will be younger than in years past -- the position group features no seniors and only two juniors -- but they're not short on talent.

A top tier has separated itself from the pack, that being the sophomore Buss and juniors Strahm and James Banks, but a large group of redshirt freshmen will be pushing for playing time, linebackers coach Travis Niekamp said. The only thing dividing them is the former's speed at adjusting on the fly.

"Now the younger guys aren't too far behind 'em in that regard, but with reps comes experience," Niekamp said. "I'm excited about the depth. We've got a lot of good depth, it's not fake depth. I wouldn't have an issue running seven guys out there playing in a football game right now."

But the fact remains that none among that impressive group has started a game in Missoula for the Griz. Banks, a 6-foot-1, 215-pound transfer from Alabama-Birmingham, last played in 2014 after missing a year when UAB cut its football program. Buss (6-2, 204) and Strahm (6-0, 241) both saw the majority of their minutes on special teams last year.

There'll be a lot to prove when this group hits the field for its first live action together in 10 days against Saint Francis to open the season. But the LBs are happy to have it that way, Strahm said.

"That's how we like it. We don't want to be on the front pages or anything," he said. "We're fine being the guys under the radar, doing our job."

The projected starting three quickly found their roles in the 2016 linebacking corps. There were three spots vacant due to Kendrick Van Ackeren, Jeremiah Kose and Herbert Gamboa having exhausted their eligibility and the new trio grabbed hold of their spots during spring ball.

Strahm was a backup middle linebacker, the "mike," last season and bulked up for better durability this fall. After landing on the depth chart in 2015 at "will," the weak-side LB, Buss has moved to the other side at "star." That leaves Banks manning the weak side.

"I'm a lighter, not as heavy guy, so I'm outside of the box a lot more in coverage," said Buss, explaining the differences between the positions. "Kind of like a bigger safety compared to weak side or Strahm in the middle who are thicker guys who can fill gaps."

Banks and Strahm played together at Eugene, Oregon's Sheldon High School, both graduating in 2013, so the chemistry there took little time to cultivate. The younger backers are nearly as close because of their more recent shared history.

Four redshirt sophomores and four redshirt freshmen came into the program together over the past two years. Griz fans can expect to see many of them grace the field this fall, even if just on special teams. Names like Vika Fa'atuiese (6-3, 220), Dante Olson (6-3, 223) and Cy Sirmon (6-3, 236) could crack the two-deep depth chart early in the season as well.

I was wondering if anyone else had any critiques or expectations from this unproven group? I have been loving the last few years of linebacker trios. How much time will Schye see as an hybrid DE/LB? The young backers are some big fellows. Vika Fa'atuiese (6-3, 220), Dante Olson (6-3, 223) and Cy Sirmon (6-3, 236)

GlacierGrizX said:
I was wondering if anyone else had any critiques or expectations from this unproven group? I have been loving the last few years of linebacker trios. How much time will Schye see as an hybrid DE/LB? The young backers are some big fellows. Vika Fa'atuiese (6-3, 220), Dante Olson (6-3, 223) and Cy Sirmon (6-3, 236)
Throw in Holden Ryan as well. This is going to be as strong a group as we've ever seen, maybe the best. Fa'atuiese is bigger than that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FormerEag said:
I forgot Niekamp was your LB coach. Hahahahaha :laugh:

Dude, your team can't tackle Grade 2 Math let alone a football player. Keep hoping for Vernon to come back so you can win a 57-56 shoot-out. Which of the Olson twins coaches your 'backers?

SaskGriz said:
FormerEag said:

Dude, your team can't tackle Grade 2 Math let alone a football player. Keep hoping for Vernon to come back so you can win a 57-56 shoot-out. Which of the Olson twins coaches your 'backers?

Jeez. Sorry, Travis. I didn't know you read the boards.

FormerEag said:
SaskGriz said:
FormerEag said:

Well played. I've been crushed. Former Eag means you were once and now disown them, notice on OUR page there aren't a lot of posts by "Former Griz", we are Griz from cradle to grave. I haven't checked on your page because, well....who cares.

SaskGriz said:
FormerEag said:
SaskGriz said:
FormerEag said:

Well played. I've been crushed. Former Eag means you were once and now disown them, notice on OUR page there aren't a lot of posts by "Former Griz", we are Griz from cradle to grave. I haven't checked on your page because, well....who cares.

EWU doesn't even have a message board as far as I know.

CDAGRIZ said:
SaskGriz said:
FormerEag said:
SaskGriz said:

Is this not an EWU message board? Btw how are ya CDA? 2016 been good to you?

CDAGRIZ said:
SaskGriz said:
FormerEag said:
SaskGriz said:

notice on OUR page there aren't a lot of posts by "Former Griz", we are Griz from cradle to grave.

Wait- so you are still enrolled at UM? If you need some tutoring I'd be happy to help. I know college can be tough, but I believe in you.

Wrong again son, EWU has a white board and an quik-erase marker. Once again, FormerEag says it all. Stare at your shame-red turf from those expensive new aluminum bleachers. Our post game celebration features fire-works, yours is exploding meth labs.

FormerEag said:
CDAGRIZ said:
SaskGriz said:
FormerEag said:

Is this not an EWU message board? Btw how are ya CDA? 2016 been good to you?

Pretty good year thus far, Feag. You? Hope all is well.

SaskGriz said:
Wrong again son, EWU has a white board and an quik-erase marker. Once again, FormerEag says it all. Stare at your shame-red turf from those expensive new aluminum bleachers. Our post game celebration features fire-works, yours is exploding meth labs.

Ah yes. BUT- It's RED meth. Really ties the whole game day experience together.

red-meth.jpg

Not sure what a white board and "an" quick-erase marker has to do with all that, so you got me on that one I guess...

Back