• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

UND to the MVFC?

MrTitleist

Staff member
Interesting article here.. could UND be headed to join it's neighbors in the MVFC/Summit?
http://www.inforum.com/sports/4100412-missouri-valley-conference-official-mum-possible-und-membership

GlacierGrizX said:
Easy add New Mexico State. The new commish needs to court them hard.

Sounds as if they are pretty stubborn. Likely gonna ride out the Independent hoping for a shake up in the near future.

No, dont be ridiculous.

UND is broke and now they want the MVC to take them in?
Unlikely at best.

Wasn't the reason the Big Sky got North Dakota was to appease UM/MSU and stop them from leaving for the WAC?

Here's hoping this is the beginning of a move to greener pastures... *cough* MWC *cough*

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

ozzie said:
Wasn't the reason the Big Sky got North Dakota was to appease UM/MSU and stop them from leaving for the WAC?

Here's hoping this is the beginning of a move to greener pastures... *cough* MWC *cough*

Huh? Right, everyone just loves to travel to Grand Forks.

While we're dreaming such wonderful thoughts, let's send UNC along with them.

kemajic said:
ozzie said:

Huh? Right, everyone just loves to travel to Grand Forks.

While we're dreaming such wonderful thoughts, let's send UNC along with them.

Ahhh.........thanks, but no thanks on that UNC offer.........

ozzie said:

Nahh we wanted their hockey program...lol

UND knows that NDSU, which hasn't scheduled a home and home for a decade, has been part of an MVFC block. NDSU doesn't want to play at UND because that will cause UND football to have a major spike in season tickets and corporate advertising, and NDSU's former President and AD wanted to see us starved financially.

UND dropped baseball purposely to make us less appealing for the Slummit, which needs baseball teams to keep its basketball autobid.

What the end result of this play will be is a reorganization of the WAC and Big Sky.

Sometime soon, the WAC will propose trading UVU, GCU, Bakersfield and Seattle with UND, UNC, the Montanas, Idaho, and E Wash. With six FCS teams, that will assure aa autobid for football. The remaining WAC teams would be NMSU, UMKC, UTRGV, and Chicago St. Highly doubt that Chicago State will be DI or even be open after this school year, as their budget crisis resulted in mass transfers, few new students, and many professor layoffs.

The WAC can still offer FBS spots per NCAA regs, as any conference that was FBS can offer new ones.

After the announcement, Wichita St will get an offer for football only, as it wants to build up its entire program to get into the American with Tulsa and SMU.

Around 2020, all the teams will be transitioning to FBS, except UMKC of course and UNC, which will stay FCS and go back to the Big Sky.

The WAC may invite other teams too, like Sam Houston St, Lamar, which want FBS, Mo St, which wants to follow Wichita St, and Denver, which was an FBS league though it will never have football.

I'm sure this will be picked apart, especially by PR.

UND is only pleading poverty to get a new revamped more eastern WAC with Big Sky schools. The WAC will be mostly research schools which will be a plus and has been talked about by numerous BSC Ad's that a research division is coming.

This will greatly satisfy politicians in ND who don't want UND in a conference with half the teams in the southwest.

The schools in the new WAC want to be part of the negotiations for a new CFP. Being an FBS conference will give them that right again, and maybe get much more than $2 mill if the CFP goes to eight teams starting in 2025.

UNDfan said:
UND knows that NDSU, which hasn't scheduled a home and home for a decade, has been part of an MVFC block. NDSU doesn't want to play at UND because that will cause UND football to have a major spike in season tickets and corporate advertising, and NDSU's former President and AD wanted to see us starved financially.

UND dropped baseball purposely to make us less appealing for the Slummit, which needs baseball teams to keep its basketball autobid.

What the end result of this play will be is a reorganization of the WAC and Big Sky.

Sometime soon, the WAC will propose trading UVU, GCU, Bakersfield and Seattle with UND, UNC, the Montanas, Idaho, and E Wash. With six FCS teams, that will assure aa autobid for football. The remaining WAC teams would be NMSU, UMKC, UTRGV, and Chicago St. Highly doubt that Chicago State will be DI or even be open after this school year, as their budget crisis resulted in mass transfers, few new students, and many professor layoffs.

The WAC can still offer FBS spots per NCAA regs, as any conference that was FBS can offer new ones.

After the announcement, Wichita St will get an offer for football only, as it wants to build up its entire program to get into the American with Tulsa and SMU.

Around 2020, all the teams will be transitioning to FBS, except UMKC of course and UNC, which will stay FCS and go back to the Big Sky.

The WAC may invite other teams too, like Sam Houston St, Lamar, which want FBS, Mo St, which wants to follow Wichita St, and Denver, which was an FBS league though it will never have football.

UND is only pleading poverty to get a new revamped more eastern WAC with Big Sky schools. The WAC will be mostly research schools which will be a plus and has been talked about by numerous BSC Ad's that a research division is coming.

This will greatly satisfy politicians in ND who don't want UND in a conference with half the teams in the southwest.

The schools in the new WAC want to be part of the negotiations for a new CFP. Being an FBS conference will give them that right again, and maybe get much more than $2 mill if the CFP goes to eight teams starting in 2025.
That is a lot of action that you propose will result from UND's discomfort. I now have a better understanding of how important UND is to D1 football.

It was my understanding that the WAC had a short timeline to rekindle FBS football and that that time has passed. Am I mininformed?

kemajic said:
UNDfan said:

That is a lot of action that you propose will result from UND's discomfort. I now have a better understanding of how important UND is to D1 football.

It was my understanding that the WAC had a short timeline to rekindle FBS football and that that time has passed. Am I mininformed?

I gotta give him credit...he comes up with some of the damnedest, convoluted scenarios I've ever seen...

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
UNDfan said:

I gotta give him credit...he comes up with some of the damnedest, convoluted scenarios I've ever seen...

Kinda like the ideas so crazy that might actually work.....FBS world outside of power conferences is indeed due for some major change. Money driving the biggies and lack of money/resources affecting the small guys!

AllWeatherFan said:
Which one is UND? Is that the Bisons, or the one with the bird mascot?

UND are the Ruff Ryders. The subsidiary UNDSU are the Thunder Bisons, or "T-Buffs" for short.

The Idaho report on going FCS said the the WAC can still invite a school to FBS . This has been confirmed by a WAC official and the NCAA rulebook. Any conference that was FBS can invite to FBS. The Big West isn't included. as it was IA, not FBS.

Idaho is going temporarily to FCS, not permanently.

UNDfan said:
The Idaho report on going FCS said the the WAC can still invite a school to FBS . This has been confirmed by a WAC official and the NCAA rulebook. Any conference that was FBS can invite to FBS. The Big West isn't included. as it was IA, not FBS.

Idaho is going temporarily to FCS, not permanently.
I hate to break it to anybody, but it's permanent. Idaho isn't going back unless there is a shakeup to how ncaa football works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDAGRIZ said:
AllWeatherFan said:
Which one is UND? Is that the Bisons, or the one with the bird mascot?

UND are the Ruff Ryders. The subsidiary UNDSU are the Thunder Bisons, or "T-Buffs" for short.

Thank you for the clarification, CDA. And UNDSU plays in that indoor facility that hosts the annual Cheese Curd Festival?

Back