• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The journey of the 2012 recruiting class

BWahlberg

DONOR
It's pretty fascinating to look back on recruiting classes and see who made it the full run of their career. The 2016 season marks the year that the remainder guys who redshirted in 2012 will be seniors. For these few remaining guys consider their journey.

- Recruited in the fall/winter by head coach Robin Pflugrad. They observe the 2011 team fall just short of getting to the natty with a semi final loss to SHSU. Offense design is a spread-offense centered around a zone-read/mobile QB.

- The spring of 2012. Sexual assault allegations and the national spotlight falls on Missoula and the Griz for all the wrong reasons. With LOI's all signed and submitted the news comes out that Robin Pflugrad and Jim O'Day have essentially been let go and returning QB Jordan Johnson has been charged with sexual assault.

- Mick Delaney is hired in the middle of spring ball, he had just retired and was in Augusta, GA watching The Masters. He flies back to Missoula, cutting his trip short, and takes over spring ball, with the beneficial gap of spring break inbetween giving him a little time to organize.

- Over the summer word comes out Jordan Johnson will face trial and the UM Student Court has suspended him from school. His 2012 season is over while he awaits trial.

- In the midst of all this I believe every 2012 recruit honored their LOI and arrived for fall camp.

- 2012, first losing season since 1984. Two position coaches essentially gave up on their players and their job through the season (OC and Safeties). Loss at home to MSU caps off a super crappy year. I believe it was Gregorak's first year at DC. The offense changes to a more traditional power-run/I-form offense.

- 2013, JJ returns, back to the playoffs with a 1st round bye but then a 2nd round exit. Meanwhile NCAA penalties are announced as a mutual agreement against the football program, cutting back a few scholarships. The Co-OC's of Gragg and Hynson take over the offense.

- 2014, A better season with JJ as a senior, back to the playoffs with a 1st round win but getting bounced out by EWU, who beat us at home in the regular season as well. Mick bids the team farewell as was planned and a search committee is announced. Meanwhile Royce Engstrom is asked to appeal the NCAA sanctions but eventually after a consult with someone (possibly an attorney) experienced with these appeals it is decided to not be worth it since we self-imposed.

- 2015, The hiring of Bob Stitt and an almost entirely new staff, save Green, Suianoua, and Gregorak. The offense changes again to a spread passing attack. The season has its highs and lows with an opening win vs NDSU on ESPN followed by two bad home losses. Back to the playoffs with a solid 1st round win but then getting dismantled by NDSU on their field.

- Winter/Spring of 2016, the surprise announcement that current DC Ty Gregorak is leaving Montana and heading to Montana State. Less than surprising was the announcement that Legi Suianoua was moving on to a better job. Semore takes over as DC.

A look at the 2012 class and where they are now

Brady Gustafson, QB - starting QB, team captain
Ryan Johnson, DE - starting DE
Max Kelly, OL - backup G
JR Nelson, CB - suspended currently, will return to start at CB
Zach Peevey, DL - starting DT
McCauley Todd, OL - starting/rotating G
Ben Weyer, OL - starting C
Joey Counts, RB - backup RB
Devin Dietrich, OL - starting RG
Caleb Kidder - starting DE, pre-season Big Sky and FCS defensive MVP

Herbert Gamboa, LB - 2015 grad
Tyrone Holmes, DE - 2015 grad, NFL draft pick
Jeremiah Kose, LB - 2015 grad
Ellis Henderson, WR - declared for the NFL but undrafted

Jacob Coogan, S - I believe had to retire due to a neck injury
Hayden Craig, OT - not sure, obviously left the team
Anthony Goodwin, CB - JuCo transfer, graduated in 2014
Ryan Burke, WR - retired due to concussions
Bo Harris, DT - quit the team between 2014/2015 I believe
Clint LaRowe, OL - quit the team last year
Chase Naccarato, WR - transferred to a smaller school after 2015 season
Taylor Walcott, WR - retired in 2014/2015 due to ongoing ankle injuries/issues
Harrison Greenberg, K - parted ways with the Griz this summer
Nick Holt, LB - left the team, can't recall when

----------

Thinking about all that these seniors have gone through, both the 2015 grads and especially the 2016 guys. Recruited by one coach and one system, showing up under a new coach, seeing the football program at it's lowest in 25+ years, seeing the rebuild, and then having a whole new system and a 3rd head coach come their way last year.

These guys have been through quite the journey, their commitment to the program and especially to each other and their fellow teammates is amazing.

Thanks 2016 seniors and the 2012 class. Go kick some ass this season.

BW, thanks for a very well pointed article concerning the journey these young men all went through.
It makes me proud to be a Griz and I am more than proud to watch these young guns play and become great men and like BW I hope you all kick some ass this last and final season. We will cheer you on win lose or draw!

Awesome stuff. Maybe AJ or Kyle will give you a shot to showcase this in the Missoulian. It's a ride many people forget or take for granted what these kids have been through. Here's hoping the worst is well behind them all.

I really, really want to see this group make a deep playoff run. Cap off this turnaround in massive fashion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: added Caleb Kidder who wasn't listed on the gogriz signing class from 2012, but he was an additional recruiting class of '12 kid as well!

Hayden Craig (who was from Oregon and was a TE not an O-lineman) left after his freshman year and walked onto Oregon State....As a true FR (2012), he played in 10 games and had 6 receptions. He had to sit out 2013 at OSU, suffered through a series of injuries in 2014 and 2015. He is no longer on their roster.

What a waste. Kid would have been special had he stayed here.

AZGrizFan said:
Hayden Craig (who was from Oregon and was a TE not an O-lineman) left after his freshman year and walked onto Oregon State....As a true FR (2012), he played in 10 games and had 6 receptions. He had to sit out 2013 at OSU, suffered through a series of injuries in 2014 and 2015. He is no longer on their roster.

Just went off what gogriz.com had, they also said Ellis was coming in as a corner.

Great read! Thanks for sparking an interesting football related thread. What a great job of recruiting during a volatile time for the program. Really feel bad for Jacob Coogan. Thought he was going to be a big time player for us.

StumptownGriz said:
Great read! Thanks for sparking an interesting football related thread. What a great job of recruiting during a volatile time for the program. Really feel bad for Jacob Coogan. Thought he was going to be a big time player for us.
Agree on Coogan. I totally forgot about the guy.. Dude was a physical player.

StumptownGriz said:

Same for Taylor Walcott....

Umista said:
BW, thanks for a very well pointed article concerning the journey these young men all went through.
It makes me proud to be a Griz and I am more than proud to watch these young guns play and become great men and like BW I hope you all kick some ass this last and final season. We will cheer you on win lose or draw!

Couldn't agree more. Am juiced, jacked, and ready for the 2016 edition of the Griz to "get er done".......

BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:

Just went off what gogriz.com had, they also said Ellis was coming in as a corner.

I only know because he was THE one kid I was super stoked about signing....when he left I was depressed....and even more depressed to watch him waste his talent on OSU's bench.

AZGrizFan said:
BWahlberg said:
AZGrizFan said:

I only know because he was THE one kid I was super stoked about signing....when he left I was depressed....and even more depressed to watch him waste his talent on OSU's bench.

The guy came to UM because of Robin. It happens....

Good stuff BW. These kids have seen some ups and downs. I think it's time for a little consistency. Bout time we bring that winning tradition back to go along with the high class of workmanship that's always been here through thick and thin.

So roughly half the class ended up being solid contributors. I'm not sure but I'm guessing that might be close to average? I remember we did this once with one of Kramer's classes and it ended up with like three out of a class of twenty three ended up being contributors.

IMHO, if things had been different from a health standpoint, Taylor Walcott would be the second-best WR in the Big Sky going into this season behind Kupp. He was that talented.

poorgriz said:
So roughly half the class ended up being solid contributors. I'm not sure but I'm guessing that might be close to average? I remember we did this once with one of Kramer's classes and it ended up with like three out of a class of twenty three ended up being contributors.
Honestly I think that's above average....especially considering HOW big of contributors several of them are...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back