• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Final Scrimmage

grizcountry420

http://gogriz.com/news/2016/8/25/football-offense-rolls-as-griz-wrap-up-fall-camp.aspx

Offense rolls as Griz wrap up fall camp

Montana Sports Information
Aug. 25, 2016 Football
In the final scrimmage of fall camp, Jerry Louie-McGee provided the ultimate highlight on the opening play of the game and the offense showed its big play potential, producing three 45-plus yard touchdowns.

The Grizzlies ran 74 plays for 515 yards, and Coach Bob Stitt said the team accomplished their goals for the final scrimmage.

"We wanted to stay healthy and we wanted to get into a little rhythm offensively and defensively," Stitt said. "We've been looking really strong through fall camp and the defense has made it real tough for the offense to ever get anything going, and today we got into a little rhythm and got things going and it kind of snowballs."

On the opening kickoff, redshirt freshman Jerry Louie-McGee fielded the ball at his own two-yard line and put his speed on display, dashing 98 yards and into the south endzone for six.

After the kickoff, the Grizzlies placed the ball at the 20-yard line, and spent the day simulating drives and working through every spot in the depth chart. Chad Chalich and Lane Hovey connected for a 79-yard touchdown on the second offensive possession.

Brady Gustafson looked sharp on the next possession, finishing the drive 5-of-8 and capping it off by rushing for a touchdown for the second offensive score of the game.

A couple possessions later, Gustafson threw his lone touchdown pass of the day, connecting with Josh Horner for a 57-yard score. The opening-day starter finished the game 11-for-16 with 186 yards and the one touchdown.

Lane Hovey secured his second touchdown of the day for the fourth offensive touchdown, finishing a nine-play, 69-yard drive with a 17-yard reception from Chad Chalich. Hovey led a very balanced Grizzly receiving corps with three catches for 105 yards and two scores.

In total, 16 different players caught at least one pass in the scrimmage. Caleb Lyons matched Hovey's reception total with three, while Josh Horner's 84 yards were the next best on the team.

Joey Counts led the rushing attack, carrying the ball five times for 25 yards. The Griz had five running backs carry the ball for a total of 51 yards in the scrimmage.

"Offensively, once we put a first down together and got the rhythm going and got the defensive line gassed a little bit, the quarterbacks were doing a nice job of putting the ball where it needed to go and we were making some catches. Once we get a first down or two put together, it's very tough to stop us."

On the defensive side, Trace Bradshaw and Vika Fa'atuise led the way with five tackles each. Caleb Kidder continued to impress at defensive end, recording 1.5 sacks and a tackle for loss. Brandt Davidson also found his way to the quarterback for a solo sack.

The scrimmage concluded fall camp, as the Grizzly players will begin school on Monday and start practicing in preparation for the season opener September 3 against Saint Francis.

fanofzoo said:
grizcountry420 said:
Hovey also showed what he is capable of doing

Did he play in the two previous scrimmages ?

Yep, was buried in depth for the first, made a few plays and showed improvement in the 2nd. He's making Ben Roberts-like moves with the roster, IMO.

McGee has huge jets. Not so sure the first kickoff was completely live. Multiple receivers showed that they have talent and potential. Can't imagine they will be nearly as good as last year's crop, but can see why the coaches are hopeful. BG looked good. The first long TD pass from Chalich to Hovey was a scramble play, scramble to right, scramble to left, open receiver on sideline, defender either missed the tackle or the non-live tackling allowed Hovey to break. Something funny seemed to happen on the tackle. Hovey had 2 TD's and looked fine, but multiple other receivers also looked good. The o-line protected fairly well, but not sure the D was bringing the heat. Kickoffs were inside 10 and 5, and pretty good and consistent. Punter looks good and consistent. Think he was over 40, around 45, and up to 55. Keep your eye on Sims. Is a terrific athlete and good off season in weight room. Counts had a couple great moves in traffic. Not sure which D he was going against. It's hard to tell with scrimmages, but the O looked pretty good or better and the D was okay. Cheer squad and dance team looked like they had a good off season. They or at least the dance team was on campus doing regular practices before the football team.

So where are the naysayers about the offense? Nice bounce back from the 2nd scrimmage. I am pretty confident in this team on offense, defense, and special teams. I won't be surprised if this is a special season.

mtgrizrule said:
So where are the naysayers about the offense? Nice bounce back from the 2nd scrimmage. I am pretty confident in this team on offense, defense, and special teams. I won't be surprised if this is a special season.

Fitty yards rushing in 515 yards total should have you concerned. Hopefully they can get some balance go-forward. Got to be able to run the ball or teams will ignore it and focus on clamping down on the passing O.

bgbigdog said:
mtgrizrule said:

Fitty yards rushing in 515 yards total should have you concerned. Hopefully they can get some balance go-forward. Got to be able to run the ball or teams will ignore it and focus on clamping down on the passing O.

And to add to that concern....leading rusher might play only a portion or perhaps none of season.....either for off field crap, or "injury" like every other year

PlayerRep said:
McGee has huge jets. Not so sure the first kickoff was completely live. Multiple receivers showed that they have talent and potential. Can't imagine they will be nearly as good as last year's crop, but can see why the coaches are hopeful. BG looked good. The first long TD pass from Chalich to Hovey was a scramble play, scramble to right, scramble to left, open receiver on sideline, defender either missed the tackle or the non-live tackling allowed Hovey to break. Something funny seemed to happen on the tackle. Hovey had 2 TD's and looked fine, but multiple other receivers also looked good. The o-line protected fairly well, but not sure the D was bringing the heat. Kickoffs were inside 10 and 5, and pretty good and consistent. Punter looks good and consistent. Think he was over 40, around 45, and up to 55. Keep your eye on Sims. Is a terrific athlete and good off season in weight room. Counts had a couple great moves in traffic. Not sure which D he was going against. It's hard to tell with scrimmages, but the O looked pretty good or better and the D was okay. Cheer squad and dance team looked like they had a good off season. They or at least the dance team was on campus doing regular practices before the football team.
Sounds like the offense won this scrimmage, which is good if you ask me.....the defense was winning this fall up till yesterday. Overall it sounds like both sides of the ball have had success.

I like the sounds of the receivers. Hard to replace Jamaal, but wow...the DEPTH here seems vastly improved. JLM has established himself as a consistent top-target, but outside of that it sounds like each scrimmage it's different guys getting the targets. Could be a harder group to defend from top-to-bottom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brewskis said:
PlayerRep said:
Sounds like the offense won this scrimmage, which is good if you ask me.....the defense was winning this fall up till yesterday. Overall it sounds like both sides of the ball have had success.

I like the sounds of the receivers. Hard to replace Jamaal, but wow...the DEPTH here seems vastly improved. JLM has established himself as a consistent top-target, but outside of that it sounds like each scrimmage it's different guys getting the targets. Could be a harder group to defend from top-to-bottom.

The EXACT argument I got into with Growler. I said "we may not have any Hendersons or Jones, but from top to bottom the crew has MUCH more depth and there's almost zero drop off from the starters thru the first 7-8 guys..."

bgbigdog said:
mtgrizrule said:

They did have 199 yards rushing in the previous scrimmage. So maybe just a slower day or less carries?

HookedonGriz said:
bgbigdog said:
mtgrizrule said:

They did have 199 yards rushing in the previous scrimmage. So maybe just a slower day or less carries?

Less carries. Seemed more like a passing scrimmage. But, except for 2 runs by Counts late in scrimmage and maybe 1 by Favors, not sure there were any runs that got over 5. Runs were getting completely stuffed, but there weren't much for holes.

Not to be negative on all the glowing reports, but giving up a 98 yard kickoff return on the opening play has to be a concern on special teams!

From what I got out of one observer's comments implying the defense looked like it was told to pull up so the offense and return teams would look good, I guess there's that cloud hanging over the offense too.

Gaeilge1 said:
Not to be negative on all the glowing reports, but giving up a 98 yard kickoff return on the opening play has to be a concern on special teams!
Trying to read between the lines Note what PR said above: Not so sure the first kickoff was completely live and The o-line protected fairly well, but not sure the D was bringing the heat. If true, these quotes suggest the coaches were trying to give our O and possibly return teams some rhythm. Sort of a confidence building scrimmage for the offense. Without hard nose hitting you also minimize chance of injuries.

Ursus1 said:
bgbigdog said:
mtgrizrule said:

And to add to that concern....leading rusher might play only a portion or perhaps none of season.....either for off field crap, or "injury" like every other year
Is this a legitimate concern or you just being your usual sunshine and rainbows self?

Gaeilge1 said:

Isn't that the second one JLM has taken to the house this fall?

I'm guessing Weyer was at center for the final scrimmage. Just having him back will provide a much needed lift to the O-Line.

AZGrizFan said:
brewskis said:
PlayerRep said:

The EXACT argument I got into with Growler. I said "we may not have any Hendersons or Jones, but from top to bottom the crew has MUCH more depth and there's almost zero drop off from the starters thru the first 7-8 guys..."
Huh...

Kind of like how Stitt said when he came in that we needed 8 starter-quality WRs, and people like Growler said he was nuts?

From the sound of things, we're no longer going to be losing the WR war with EWU anytime soon. And some people said this would never work.

Back