• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Kicker on scholarship

dupuyer griz

DONOR
For those who watched, last night is a prime example of what a good kicker or not great kicker can do. CSU would have won that game with a good kicker. I've heard a lot of talk about not giving kickers a full ride in the past on here, but I think that demonstrated how important it is to have the best kicker you can get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I saw the numbers the kickers were wearing I knew they were in trouble. Just like Georgia Southern a few years back.

grizfan406 said:
Absolutely agree, could not agree more. An excellent kicker can mean guaranteed points. POINTS!!

While a good kicker on scholarship can increase the odds of getting points, it's not always a guarantee. I remember back when Dan Carpenter was here, he was a rock star - pretty much Mr. automatic. I would have guaranteed he made that game-winning kick against Wofford in 2007, but alas... Sh#t happens.

Absolutely agree! It should be noted that the 10 top scorers in NFL history are kickers! Admittedly, George Blanda is on this list, so his point total might be at issue. But even without Blanda 9 out of 10 were strictly kickers.

A good kicking game will always win more than it loses. A great kicking game is instrumental in post season and championship games.

Just wondering, what makes you guys think we:

1 - didn't have a kicker on scholarship last season
2 - don't have at least one on scholarship this season

Not saying we don't, just pointing out that a good kicker deserves a full ride schollie and there really should be no debate about it. Too many teams treat kickers as afterthoughts.

BWahlberg said:

....or that the CS kicker wasn't on scholarship......or that the UNDUSU punter wasn't as well?

signedbewildered said:
BWahlberg said:

....or that the CS kicker wasn't on scholarship......or that the UNDUSU punter wasn't as well?

I don't think UM has used scholarships to recruit kickers for some time. Preferred walk-ons duke it out and I'm sure the eventual starter gets something. MSU offers scolarships to kickers out of high school. Incidentally so has Mt Tech recently.

Sully had a schollie last year, and, BW is right, I know for a fact there is one kicker on the Griz' roster who is receiving football aid

signedbewildered said:
BWahlberg said:

UNDSU punter gets books & gravy. Anyone giving the first UCSU kicker financial aid should be investigated.

Back