• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Thoughts on CSU vs NDSU

IdaGriz01

Good job, BTW, on locking the game-following thread ... long past anything having to do with football.

Anyway, we just skimmed through our recording of the game (busy weekend). From comments here (other thread, etc.) and on the broadcast, I somehow got the impression that NDSU made a bunch of mistakes that kept Chas-So in the game. That was not what we saw. NDSU was 17/27 on passes (63%) -- that's not a lot of dropped passes. (CSU, not a passing team, went 8/20). Plus, NDSU averaged 5.2 yards per rush. NDSU had only 2 turnovers (one FUMB, 1 INT). In fact, NDSU dominated the stats: 424 to 263 in total yards, 21-11 in first downs, 33-27 in TOP, etc. About the only stat they lost was penalty yards (both team had 6 penalties): 70 yards for NDSU, 45 for CS).

So the Bucs went toe-to-toe with NDSU, lost the stats battle, but mostly held their own when it counted ... right up until OT. Either Chas-So is way better than most people thought, or the Bison -- despite being at home -- just could not close the show. Really, the worst possible outcome for NDSU-haters ... and future opponents. That's still a damn good team and they have a good coaching staff. Perfect scenario for a coaching staff ... a win, but plenty of "teachable moments" in the film room. The coaches are going to be absolutely chewing their fannies for the lack of execution at crunch time.

UNDSU is a fine team. Especially at home in Grand Forks. Well coached and conservative. It's no wonder they have a three-peat under their long belts.

It was the #1 team playing the #6 team so it should have been a good game. That is if you put any stock in FCS rankings. CSU played pretty well and made NDSU look human.

putter said:
It was the #1 team playing the #6 team so it should have been a good game. That is if you put any stock in FCS rankings. CSU played pretty well and made NDSU look human.
Certainly -- if anyone cares (and not that many do, probably) -- the last two FCS "season kickoff" games have been outstanding games ... with the Griz game going down to the last play and the latest into OT. Much more competitive and entertaining than that POS they broadcast from Sydney.

IdaGriz01 said:
putter said:
Certainly -- if anyone cares (and not that many do, probably) -- the last two FCS "season kickoff" games have been outstanding games ... with the Griz game going down to the last play and the latest into OT. Much more competitive and entertaining than that POS they broadcast from Cheney.

FIFY

I think UNDSU looked pretty bad until the second half. They've traditionally been a second half team (I think) during their run the last couple years. They were pretty darn close to losing at home, however. The had a crossbar FG that went through, and still stared at a FG attempt to lose. CSU's big WR (I think he was a RS Frosh) gave the T-Buff secondary fits like our big WRs did a year ago. I kept looking for T-Buff CB #5 to see if he was still getting burned, but I guess he must have graduated. This secondary looked different. I thought Eatstom Stick looked serviceable, if not good, behind a line that didn't do him many favors. He had a pick six, and another earlier pass that should've been the same. All in all, I think they dodged a major bullet in this game.

IdaGriz01 said:
putter said:
Certainly -- if anyone cares (and not that many do, probably) -- the last two FCS "season kickoff" games have been outstanding games ... with the Griz game going down to the last play and the latest into OT. Much more competitive and entertaining than that POS they broadcast from Sydney.

AKA...EWU can never make anything look good and should never be allowed nice things!

CDAGRIZ said:
I think UNDSU looked pretty bad until the second half. They've traditionally been a second half team (I think) during their run the last couple years. They were pretty darn close to losing at home, however. The had a crossbar FG that went through, and still stared at a FG attempt to lose. CSU's big WR (I think he was a RS Frosh) gave the T-Buff secondary fits like our big WRs did a year ago. I kept looking for T-Buff CB #5 to see if he was still getting burned, but I guess he must have graduated. This secondary looked different. I thought Eatstom Stick looked serviceable, if not good, behind a line that didn't do him many favors. He had a pick six, and another earlier pass that should've been the same. All in all, I think they dodged a major bullet in this game.

This. The receiver was #84, and he was exceptional. NDSU's secondary had no answer for him. Now, imagine Kupp against them. In my opinion, their secondary is their Achilles heel. Their game against EWU might be pretty interesting.

Saw an article where the Bison coach said they practiced too hard before Montana game and were worn out. This game they go light on practice, win but suffer several significant injuries. Correlation?

horribilisfan8184 said:
Saw an article where the Bison coach said they practiced too hard before Montana game and were worn out. This game they go light on practice, win but suffer several significant injuries. Correlation?

I'm sure several more excuses are forthcoming.

My observations:

2) Stick looked wooden at times
c) UNDSU's penalties almost ALL came after critical plays (long gains, etc.) and were drive/momentum killers
iii) NDSU had no business winning that game. If CSU had even an average kicker NDSU starts out 0-1 again

AZGrizFan said:
My observations:

2) Stick looked wooden at times
c) UNDSU's penalties almost ALL came after critical plays (long gains, etc.) and were drive/momentum killers
iii) NDSU had no business winning that game. If CSU had even an average kicker NDSU starts out 0-1 again
I'm thinking NDSU drops a couple this season. Which would be HUGE if it would get them on the road in the playoffs and not in their comfy little grain silo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought both teams looked like it was the first game of the season. Mistakes on both sides particularly in the firs half. NDSU appears to me to have a higher upside, because CSU seems a bit one dimensional on offense. NDSU will always get their opponents best effort, and they know how to win.

Having said that NDSU does not look as invincible as it has been the past 2-3 years. Would not be surprised to see them lose 3 games this year and not make the championship game.

Gaeilge1 said:
I thought both teams looked like it was the first game of the season. Mistakes on both sides particularly in the firs half. NDSU appears to me to have a higher upside, because CSU seems a bit one dimensional on offense. NDSU will always get their opponents best effort, and they know how to win.

Having said that NDSU does not look as invincible as it has been the past 2-3 years. Would not be surprised to see them lose 3 games this year and not make the championship game.

...probably have a list of ready excuses to cover any losses too! CSU did look pretty good.

first11 said:
Gaeilge1 said:

...probably have a list of ready excuses to cover any losses too! CSU did look pretty good.

As I said in my observations, Stick looked wooden. Throughout the entire game I kept wondering, is the CSU defense that good, or is the NDSU offense that BAD this year?

Back