• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Game notes

bgbigdog

DONOR
http://sidearm.sites.s3.amazonaws.com/gogriz.com/documents/2016/8/31/Game_1_UM_vs_SFU_NOTES.pdf?id=2786

Someone not doing this from their phone - am on a golf course fortunately, please post the two deeps. A couple of interesting developments there. Please and thanks very large.

BWahlberg said:
Sims starting for this game, dude had a good spring and a monster fall camp.

Great for Sims, I hope he has a monster game. Expect Peevey back starting vs Northern Iowa as he is sitting out this weekend recovering from minor surgery.

firmgriz said:
BWahlberg said:

Great for Sims, I hope he has a monster game. Expect Peevey back starting vs Northern Iowa as he is sitting out this weekend recovering from minor surgery.

So who's backing up Sims? Already thin @ DT, and Davis's availability has been sketchy @ best. Tilleman?

bgbigdog said:
firmgriz said:
BWahlberg said:

So who's backing up Sims? Already thin @ DT, and Davls's availability has been sketchy @ best. Tilleman?
Peevey

Awesome stuff. Love some of the young kids we are seeing too! Sandry, Villanueva, Justin Calhoun, Thayne Jackson, and JLM. Future is bright!

bgbigdog said:
firmgriz said:
BWahlberg said:

So who's backing up Sims? Already thin @ DT, and Davis's availability has been sketchy @ best. Tilleman?

I listened to the radio show last night and coach was very complimentary of how Tilleman has been playing and practicing at DT. Wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of him this year.

Think Sims is about 265, not as listed at 254. He had a monster summer in the weight room and is very strong. Need to get/keep Peevey healthy, but sounds like he'll be fine. Think Bradley is out for season with knee.

It's interesting that the depth chart lists so few of the transfers as starting. Not Hovey. None in the secondary. One in the d-line. Banks at LB, but he was already around for awhile. I suppose things could change after early games. The o-line has all veterans, except redshirt frosh Villanueva. Hopefully, Weyer is fully healthy and good to go. As reported earlier, the o-line is much bigger this year. As reported, Phillips is the 3d qb and Chalich is 2d. As reported earlier, Favors ahead of Calhoun.

The 2 redshirt frosh receivers are very small. Listed at 168, and 5'10" and 5'9". The secondary is big. Bigger than I ever recall. Outside linebackers are light, 215 and 204. The 4 redshirt frosh linebackers are apparently all very good and have pretty good size. Backers have talent and potential, but we'll see how fast they can develop and progress. I'm still thinking this will take some time.

McGee is listed as punt returner and kick returner. Only 1 KR this year. Nguyen is not listed in this depth at either position. Semenza and Williams at kicker and punter. Think this is what the coaches expected after the spring, or by the summer. I like how Williams punts. Semenza probably needs more consistency, but seems more than credible and is a redshirt frosh.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes this many new starters and players to come together and play well. Hopefully, it can be right away, but I'm not counting on that. Seems like a tall task.

PlayerRep said:
Think Sims is about 265, not as listed at 254. He had a monster summer in the weight room and is very strong. Need to get/keep Peevey healthy, but sounds like he'll be fine. Think Bradley is out for season with knee.

That is sort of what I thought also, but it is odd that he is still showing up on the depth chart if that were the case.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:

That is sort of what I thought also, but it is odd that he is still showing up on the depth chart if that were the case.

I saw that. But then again on the 4-5 deep depth chart they have a bunch of the incoming freshman that are redshirting listed in the number 3-4-5 spot which is where Bradley is also listed.

84GRIZ said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:

I saw that. But then again on the 4-5 deep depth chart they have a bunch of the incoming freshman that are redshirting listed in the number 3-4-5 spot which is where Bradley is also listed.

But if they need the redshirt for depth reasons, they can always pull it and use them. I am wondering if it is more like JR being listed. He is currently unavailable but they hope he is back later.

PlayerRep said:

It's interesting that the depth chart lists so few of the transfers as starting. Not Hovey. None in the secondary. One in the d-line. Banks at LB, but he was already around for awhile. I suppose things could change after early games. The o-line has all veterans, except redshirt frosh Villanueva. Hopefully, Weyer is fully healthy and good to go. As reported earlier, the o-line is much bigger this year. As reported, Phillips is the 3d qb and Chalich is 2d. As reported earlier, Favors ahead of Calhoun.

The 2 redshirt frosh receivers are very small. Listed at 168, and 5'10" and 5'9". The secondary is big. Bigger than I ever recall. Outside linebackers are light, 215 and 204. The 4 redshirt frosh linebackers are apparently all very good and have pretty good size. Backers have talent and potential, but we'll see how fast they can develop and progress. I'm still thinking this will take some time.

McGee is listed as punt returner and kick returner. Only 1 KR this year. Nguyen is not listed in this depth at either position. Semenza and Williams at kicker and punter. Think this is what the coaches expected after the spring, or by the summer. I like how Williams punts. Semenza probably needs more consistency, but seems more than credible and is a redshirt frosh.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes this many new starters and players to come together and play well. Hopefully, it can be right away, but I'm not counting on that. Seems like a tall task.
Pretty good summation. Overall, quite a bit of young guys will be asked to contribute. I think we'll see some position groups progress quicker than expected (WR) and some a little slower than expected (LB).

Also, lots of "flashes of talent" mixed with some inconsistent play. Should be a fun game to watch. Particularly excited about Sims at DT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlayerRep said:

Pretty good summation. Overall, quite a bit of young guys will be asked to contribute. I think we'll see some position groups progress quicker than expected (WR) and some a little slower than expected (LB).

Also, lots of "flashes of talent" mixed with some inconsistent play. Should be a fun game to watch. Particularly excited about Sims at DT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The thing I like most about that roster...no more O Lineman made up of a bunch of 265-280lb dudes....everyone over 300...love it!

go96griz said:
bgbigdog said:
firmgriz said:
BWahlberg said:

I listened to the radio show last night and coach was very complimentary of how Tilleman has been playing and practicing at DT. Wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of him this year.

I believe Peevey can play but it's probably an emergency only situation. There's also Tilleman and MMO that could play both spots on the line. Also Semore's got some plans and schemes that should manage our DT depth this game.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:

I agree with you, but note that Favors is 190 on the depth chart and 194 on the numerical roster.

BWahlberg said:
VimSince03 said:
BWahlberg said:

The next Bryan Waldhauser? Around same size and playing on the inside.

Yes, but stronger.

Wow. That's saying a lot as Waldhauser was a stud. Sounds like Sims has really transformed himself - can't wait to see him in action Saturday, provided I can find a live stream for the game.

GO GRIZ!

Back